Definitive Cars

Ekona

Be it new or historical, some cars can or will always be *the* car that manufactures want to beat, or which fans consider to be the ultimate example.

I'll start off, add your own categories or change mine, if you think you've got a better reason ;)

'80s Supercar: Ferrari F40. First to top 200mph, reputation as tough to drive, carbon everywhere.

Modern Premium Sports Coupe: Porsche 911, regular Carrera S. Classic lines, practical, easy to drive t a challenge to master.

'90s Japanese Tuner Car: R34 GT-R. Definitive version of the PlayStation generation car.

I don't even really like no1 or no2, but they're the Definitives..

Hot Hatch (if you're a driving purist) - mk2 Renaultsport Clio V6

Hot Hatch (if you like newer cars or are more overall performance oriented) - 2017 Ford Focus RS

Edited by Aashenfox

Be it new or historical, some cars can or will always be *the* car that manufactures want to beat, or which fans consider to be the ultimate example.

I'll start off, add your own categories or change mine, if you think you've got a better reason ;)

'80s Supercar: Ferrari F40. First to top 200mph, reputation as tough to drive, carbon everywhere.

Modern Premium Sports Coupe: Porsche 911, regular Carrera S. Classic lines, practical, easy to drive t a challenge to master.

'90s Japanese Tuner Car: R34 GT-R. Definitive version of the PlayStation generation car.

For me the Supra was the definitive Playstation car of choice, much faster than the GT-R ;)

Im pretty sure a Lotus Elise exists as a definitive lightweight road car of choice - simplify , then add more lightness

For me the Supra was the definitive Playstation car of choice, much faster than the GT-R ;)

Im pretty sure a Lotus Elise exists as a definitive lightweight road car of choice - simplify , then add more lightness

I lacked the skill to control the supra when it was fully tuned, whereas the GTR34 was fairly controllable for those of little skill.

Hot hatch: VW Golf GTi, mk2. Just pips the original as it was muchly the same car, just that little bit better and more iconic in every aspect.

Lightweight road/track toy: Lotus 7. It'll always be better and purer than the Elise, plus the Lotus is the original where he really did just add lightness.

Nearly went for Supra over R34, but just couldn't bring myself to. I'd rather own the Supra, but out of the two I'd give it to the Datsun.

• Like 2

I lacked the skill to control the supra when it was fully tuned, whereas the GTR34 was fairly controllable for those of little skill.

You needed MPSS on it ;)

• Like 1

80's SuperCar - Mclaren F1

80's Everyday hero - Peugeot 205 GTi

90' SuperCar - Pagani Zonda

90's Everyday hero - Nissan Pulsar GTi

00' Supercar - Bugatti Veyron

00' Everyday hero - Nissan 350z

Gotta take some issues here, a 2 seat cant really be an everyday hero (the 350Z is far from a giant killer either) and the Clio V6 isnt really a hot hatch at all, it has an engine where the boot should be.

Not picking on Aashenfox either but the Golf Gti, 205, R5GTT et al are faaaaar more iconic than a (mk3 remember) FRS will ever be.

And having just seen the last reply, this isnt about what "you" think, its about icons, game changers, seminal cars, decisions that people simply cant argue with. An F type is pretty for sure, but ask 100 people which is prettier and I bet 99 will go with the XKE, even Enzo himself did.

European taxi: E class Mercedes

Techological marvel: Bugatti Veyron

Off roader: Land Rover

Edited by docwra
  • Like 1

Modern soft-top sportscar: Mazda MX5 (Mk1 ideally)

Original Hypercar: McLaren F1

Rally Rep: Evo 6 Tommi Mak edition

There have been better iterations of all of the above but these are the definitives for me.

Lancia Delta or Audi Quattro were the cars that spawned just about every 4 wheel drive rally rep, so they would be the icon or game changers imho.

• Like 1

Lancia Delta or Audi Quattro were the cars that spawned just about every 4 wheel drive rally rep, so they would be the icon or game changers imho.

I considered the Quattro but the road car version was a bit watered down IMO, Id certainly accept "4WD performance car" though. Delta, much as I love it had too many normal versions.

• Like 1

Best kit car, oh theres a tricky one (i really couldnt decide between the 3):

AC Cobra

Lancia Stratos

Porsche 356

Answers on a postcard please :)

Best car for the masses, Porsche, sorry i mean Beetle :)

Best van Transit