Definitive Cars

Ekona

This isnt that hard of a concept is it? Think of it like reverse internet pointless, the more people say the same answer the more likely it is the actual definitive "x"

Using this criteria, the MX5 is the definitive everything, being the answer to everything and all. :D

:lol:

^^^ You have some funny ideas :p , Focus and Carrera GT

The original hyper car was the MaClaren F1 and Golf Gti was the definitive hot hatch, they were the first and thats what everyone tried to better.

I might have some funny ideas, but at least they're mine, not out of some car magazine or website article that I can sit reading and nod while stroking my excessively long beard. Original does not mean definitive.

I'm out of this thread, if you can't make a suggestion without someone telling you why it's wrong, this has no interest for me, might as well have made the thread title 'what do the core members think are the most definitive cars, and don't say anything we don't agree with or we'll tell you why you're wrong, even if its a subjective opinion'.

Edited by Aashenfox

^^^ You have some funny ideas :p , Focus and Carrera GT

The original hyper car was the MaClaren F1 and Golf Gti was the definitive hot hatch, they were the first and thats what everyone tried to better.

I'm out of this thread, if you can't make a suggestion without someone telling you why it's wrong, this has no interest for me, might as well have made the thread title 'what do the core members think are the most definitive cars, and don't say anything we don't agree with or we'll tell you why you're wrong, even if its a subjective opinion'.

Mate, its not that you arent a core member, as with about 30% of the replies its that you dont understand the question, definitive is not really a subjective thing. At least 5 people are all in full agreement that the Macca is THE Hypercar and the Golf is the THE hot hatch.

Put it another way, would you really call a Porsche GT THE Hypercar, or a Focus RS THE hot hatchback? Neither were the original, neither are the fastest or realistically the anything -est. Both are great examples of their breed but not the ultimate, the Crufts winner, the benchmark, the example everyone uses as a yardstick or comparator.

For instance, Guinness is THE Porter, Hoover make THE Vacuum cleaner, Cheddar is THE English cheese, these are definitive examples.

Edited by docwra

I can absolutely assure you I understood perfectly the question right from the start. For me the Carrera GT is the definitive purist's hypercar, the car that should represent the vision of a 'hypercar', full on race power, race geometry, no aids, kill you soon as look at you knife edge handling. Is that ok, please? There's nothing definitive about the McF1, it had a central driver's seat. If Dan can discount my Clio for having a mid engine that no other hatch has (and I agree with that reasoning as it does preclude being definitive, unique and definitive are technically opposites), then I can veto the McF1 for having a central seat that no other hypercar has (I think there's another actually, but I can't remember).

P.S. And I genuinely believe that history will prove me right about the Focus as well, though Dan might be right, it might be forgotten, I'm going to go for 'not forgotten, finally something that knocked the Evo off it's very lofty and long held pedestal as the most practical car with near supercar performance', and, naturally, a definitive hot hatch.

Edited by Aashenfox

I think you're right with the GT. Dan categorised the F40 to a decade, and it avoided all the 'yeah buts'. By cars of today's standards there are better. The Carrera GT for the early noughties is the definitive hypercar. When compared to cars from now or the next decade it'll drop off. It'll still be epic as is the F40. Personally I'm not a fan of Fords, but think the Cosworth deserves a place.

Edited by Jay84

Nope. Its 20 years late to the party so could only redefine the class and it hasnt, at least not in most people opinions. Its repeatedly been described as the softest and most user friendly of the current hypercars, looks fairly plain compared to what it could do and from what Ive read could be driven quickly by your Mum.

Compare that to the F1: design brief to make the "ultimate roadcar", buolt and designed by an F1 team, first production car to use a carbon chassis, still has the highest power to weight ratio of anything other than a Venom and was fastest production car for what, 20 years?

A relatively standard F1 won Le Mans for crying out loud .......... all that and its N/A as well.

If you truly think that the Clio V6 is the "defining" hatchback then you dont understand the question, it has literally nothing defining going for it (most mental would be a Delta S4 for the record).

ETA: Dan called the F40 80's Supercar ......... and whilst you could probably make a claim for it being rare, exclusive, fast and valuable enough the F1 is more in each category.

Edited by docwra

The Carrera GT is, for me, the most perfect car ever made. It's a LeMans prototype, with a high revving V10 engine that sounds like heaven, a manual gearbox, and the roof even comes off. Given the fact I spaff my winky nightly before bedtime over anything from Stuttgart, suffice to say I really, really love the CGT.

It ain't even close to being the definitive hypercar. Not on this planet. The F1 takes that role with aplomb, nearly elbowing both the F40 and the Miura off the podium while it steps up to grab the champagne from the top step.

• Like 1

I'm almost sorry I started this thread now. I thought it would be relatively simple to grasp the concept of, and might be a little fun where we query if the it should be the F1 or the Muira.

Definitive != best

• Like 1

Doc, you're not reading or not understanding my posts. We've already been through the Clio thing, and I agreed, it can't be called definitive because its unique, as I also mentioned in the above post. To elaborate further I felt it was definitive in specific terms 'the maddest of mad hot hatches', I felt it deserved to be mentioned as a defining car, others disagreed and redefined the terms of the thread, which you just reiterated again, I agreed with that and we all moved on.

By the way, in your terms, the Miura can be the only defining hypercar (everything else was very late).

And the fact that you started your post with the word 'nope' shows you still don't understand my complaint either.

Edited by Aashenfox

I'm almost sorry I started this thread now. I thought it would be relatively simple to grasp the concept of, and might be a little fun where we query if the it should be the F1 or the Muira.

Definitive != best

For the last time, I'm not confused about the purpose of the thread, if anything YOU GUYS ARE (the thread title says 'definitive cars', not 'which is THE defining car in each genre'). If the whole point of this thread was for everyone to agree and pat each other on the back, I'm kinda glad it's falling over.

I explained why I feel it IS definitive. You can disagree as much as you want, but I think it DEFINES the perfect parameters for a hypercar, therefore definitive.

Edited by Aashenfox

I think the definite supercar is a Pagani Zonda...

First car that Pagani made, gorgeous, completely unique styling, exquisite detailing, and obviously V12.

I think the F40 was a defining turbo car, but not a defining supercar, a proper supercar needs a naturally aspirated V12, not a turbo'd V8. :stir:

• Like 1

'the maddest of mad hot hatches'

See above, the compound charged, mid engined, spaceframed, 4WD Lancia Delta S4.

By the way, in your terms, the Miura can be the only defining hypercar (everything else was very late).

Supercar I'll have. Hypercar, no way.

Ekona started the thread, how can he be confused over the purpose of the it?

• Like 1

See above, the compound charged, mid engined, spaceframed, 4WD Lancia Delta S4.

It;s not madder than the clio, it's a race car, it's more purposeful than the clio, sure, but the clio needs a tall hat and a rabbit throwing crockery around. How many S4s did they make? And do I need to mention the 6R4? :lol:

Yeah the Zonda is pretty mental. What are peoples thoughts on track weapons? Aerial Atom? Caterham? KTM Xbow?

definitely not the Xbow :lol:

the caterham can be the defining 'if it aint broke, don't fix it' car...

conversely the Porsche 911 is the defining 'it IS broke, but still don't change it' car :lol:

• Like 1