Baby doesn't fit in 350z.....

Loggy747

1 month after I purchased my zed last year I found out my girlfriend was expecting our first child. Fast forward 9 months and the little guy is a week old today.

People joked all year that I would be driving a zafira by now, but I simply shrugged it off and said no, the zed isn't going anywhere, we will get by. But only now is the shear unpracticality of the zed starting to rear its ugly head! My girlfriend drives a little clio which i dont think has much life left in it.

Now I'm actually considering looking elsewhere. Like everyone, I have a bucket list of cars which I would like to own in my life, and the next one I was planning to buy anyway was a dc2 integra. But the lack doors is putting me off. How have people coped with 2 door cars and babies? I can't go full zafira so I'm looking for a compromise 😂

Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Simples. Keep Zed for when it's just you or weekend car, buy a replacement for your girlfriend's car. She can drive the mpv/ 5 door hatchback. :D

How often would you need to go out just you and your little boy? With the other car not being available as she's gone out? Keep it simple, when she's out, stay at home. Once he's old enough he'd love it.

PS congrats!!!

Edited by The Bounty Bar Kid

All depends on your financial situation really . If you can afford to keep the zed and get a newer practical family car then do so . I personally wouldn't over stretch myself to do so though . You can always get another zed/fun car in the future when the times right . All part and parcel of having kids , and you can be miserable about it or appreciate what you've got ..... I know I'm very happy with our 2 young boys :)

Congratulations!

Try owning one of these when your little 'un comes along :lol:

IMG_2466_Snapseed_zpsfa120ee6.jpg

The wife had a Ford Focus, more than capable for a newborn and carrying all the gear you need - unless you or your wife have physical limitations, you do not need an SUV/4x4 to get one small child and their stuff around.

I ended up selling the VX220 and getting an R33 Skyline, as above where you mention its two doors but as long as you are in reasonable condition its pretty easy to get the kids in and out the back, especially when they are little, you just squat in the footwell at the back with the seat forwards to put in and remove said child, it's actually quite comfortable :)

Sensible money would be on a four door, maybe go for a Focus ST four door? We found the hatch back much more practical for putting stuff in than the saloon style boot as you can remove the parcel shelf to get larger items in (kids furniture, plastic baths, huge boxes with toys in which you will get for christmas and the like).

• Like 4

Congrats on the baby and welcome to a whole new way of life :)

As for cars every family is different. I have a friend whos about to buy a 911 and they have 2 kids with wife having a large estate thing.

For us I do 99% of drop offs, and I really cannot be arsed with faffing around with a 2 door car, even a saloon like a 3 series is tiny in the back once you add in a car seat and getting the kid in and out isn't easy with lowish roof line. We might also end up with 2 sprogs and when you add in visiting grand parents etc we decided it made sense to get a larger 6/7 seater car now, hence moving over to a SUV. I drive like a grandad most of the time anyways, and when you have a kid in the back the last thing on your mind is 0-60 times or steering feel!!

When time comes to replace wife's car we'll probably get another small saloon, as the SUV will be the main family car so even if another sprog appears it really doesn't matter how big/practical the second car is as that one will be rarely used for the kids.

Keeping a 'fun' car for the weekend is all well and good, but the reality is your find time becomes really precious, if your both working weekends will be the only time you have together as family and the last your want to do is waste that time driving around in a car by your self!!

.....Oh I still planning on getting a run down DC2 Teg to do up when the daughter is old enough to get her hands mucky with a spanner, I've sold that idea to the wife on the basis it's better for to her to be interested in car rather than wanting a pony :p

Edited by gangzoom

All solid advice lads. It's definitely a game changer, I thought about the weekend car but as you say gangzoom, time is precious and I find I don't go many places without the little one now.

I've had a lot of outgoings recently in preparation for the baby so my budget can't stretch any further than the zed. I like the idea of upgrading her Hatch and using that for runs.

A few good suggestions there, the Monaro and s4 avant I hadn't thought about. What about running costs of an evo compared to the zed? It might be out of my budget at the minute. I'll go have a scan through the classifieds and see what I can find.

I don't think I could follow through with selling though, I'm still in the honeymoon phase!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I use my GT86 for nursery drop offs and will be swapping it for a Cayman this year.

Your back must be in good shape!!

Ive perfected getting him and out now, it is getting harder the bigger he gets though.

I sold my Elise as in the past 2 years I did less then 600 miles a year, its hard finding alone time to go out in it when you've got a little one.

I keep looking at larger 4 door cars but a 2 door still fits my needs and they'll be a point when the little one can climb in and out the car themselves.

Edited by un1eash

I will be in the same boat shortly I'm pretty sure it's illegal to have a car/baby seat in the Z aswell so baby won't be in it at all, sucks. My wife has a new Focus but refuses to drive my car because of the way other people act when you drive a Z, so if I have the baby at weekend when she is at work I'm screwed basically !!! Z will eventually have to go I reckon, will be a sad day.

Sent from my SM-G901F using Tapatalk

Yes the airbag should be off in the Zed if baby is in the front, danger to life if it goes off.

Subaru or Focus ST would suit you - easily done to get them over 300bhp so you can still have fun without child on board, then become practical cars with child around...

I'll go have a scan through the classifieds and see what I can find.

There are plenty of half sensible but quick family friendly hatchbacks/saloons around.

What ever you do don't get sucked down the MPV line, as much as I don't mind driving some thing boring/slow for the sake of my kid, there is something about Zafira/Galaxy's that just seem so wrong. You might as well get one of these and cut some windows out on the side :)

Transit%20Cargo%20Van.png

Edited by gangzoom

Just had a look and there is nowhere in the car to turn off the passenger side airbag, that's on a 57 plate HR, I have seen threads on the American forum where they have bypassed the airbag but there is NO chance I would take that gamble.

So only choice is another car eventually, won't be for a good year maybe year and a half so I have plenty of time to enjoy the Z whilst I still can.

Sent from my SM-G901F using Tapatalk

We managed for 3 yrs using a 2006 Mini Cooper as a family car.

Eldest kid was 3 yrs old and youngest was 6 months before we got a Kia Sportage due to needing more luggage space for bigger prams.

Initially we managed with a Quinny pram for the eldest, then the Quinny plus another Quinny frame in the passenger footwell which would click onto the Maxi Cosi car seat as a second pram.....ALL IN A MINI!

So a 2 door like an Integra is definitely doable with just 1 sprog, but obviously a 4 door would be easier.

When I was choosing a lease car I was looking at 4 doors

We have 2 girls. But my wife said to me if we had 2 family cars we would still only use hers because using mine would involve swapping 2 car seats and a pram each time. She said eventually we would get bored of that and take here anyway so get a 2 door instead

So I did :lol:

So I agree with what BBK said- upgrade her Clio to something more practical and something you would enjoy driving and keep the zed

• Like 2

When we planned our little one, permission was granted to keep the 350z, however when IT appeared, I tool the grown up approach, did some maths and some thinking and ended up selling as it was on finance, then fuel and the rest.

However, the lad is 4 now and I was allowed another one, I got one and dont regret selling my first one, but all depends on pound coins.

Also, I dont like the grown up version of me, so ignore all of the above.

Edited by varley16