Fog's Lack Off

bytespc

Well, exactly. All they're for is to light the very edge of the road up, so you can see the kerb when crawling along at sub-20mph.

I really hate Ford for making their switches light the front fogs up regardless, even if you only need the rears on. Makes every Ford driver look an idiot. Grrr.

You don't need front fogs. And a single rear one is fine, unless you enjoy blinding other drivers.

Front fogs last night and this morning are essential it's pea soup here and it's freezing and twin rears are far better than one and I only use them when it's fog not rain or dark like most prats in this country

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

You don't need front fogs. And a single rear one is fine, unless you enjoy blinding other drivers.

Well, exactly. All they're for is to light the very edge of the road up, so you can see the kerb when crawling along at sub-20mph.

Remember, it is not just so you can see but decent fog lights can help you being seen by others including pedestrians, as your second post corrects.

I recall having a pair of Cibies on one of the Scoobies and they were really helpful in dense fog if angled down on the road surface edges and rather like how Rally drivers would have those lights adjusted in fog conditions. Absolutely worse than useless though if adjusted as full beams in fog with the glare simply bouncing back.

• Like 2

Front fogs last night and this morning are essential it's pea soup here and it's freezing and twin rears are far better than one and I only use them when it's fog not rain or dark like most prats in this country

Here's a few commas and full stops for you to use ...

,,,,, ..... ;;;;;

• Like 1

Here's a few commas and full stops for you to use ...

,,,,, ..... ;;;;;

Yawn.....

Remember, it is not just so you can see but decent fog lights can help you being seen by others including pedestrians, as your second post corrects.

I recall having a pair of Cibies on one of the Scoobies and they were really helpful in dense fog if angled down on the road surface edges and rather like how Rally drivers would have those lights adjusted in fog conditions. Absolutely worse than useless though if adjusted as full beams in fog with the glare simply bouncing back.

Thank you..some common sense at last.

I had been driving through fog a few years back in my Vectra with front fogs on. Got into a town where the fog had cleared but forgot I had them on as Id done a long journey. Pulled up at some lights alongside a copper.

The driver wound the passenger window down and gestured I do the same. He then said, 'You need to turn your fog lights off, its not raining!'

I replied with 'They are called fog lights not rain lights so I shouldn't even have them on in the rain either!'

The copper in the passenger seat and the lad they had just arrested both laughed and said 'Yeah he's got you there'

Anyway I digress, as above correctly aimed (and used) fog lights will help you see the road ahead more clearly with as little glare as possible and will also help you to be seen.

• Like 1

Your mention of Cibies reminds me of my old rally Magnum 2300.

Super Oscars on the top and Oscars below gave a great spread of light, although pretty useless in the fog as you said

_DSC3036_zpszahi6iik.jpg

• Like 1

So what speed were you doing using the fronts? And on what road?

You never need twin rear fogs, that's the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard :lol: One is more than enough, they're bright as hell as it is!

I too got ticked off by the law for using my fog lights when it wasn't foggy. That was when I was a lad, would have been 1971 and I'd fitted them to my Sunbeam Stiletto. This is probably way out of date but he told me they could only be used in fog or falling snow. As far as modern cars go, I've had a couple with front fog lights, as Colin says part of having them on is so others can see you. We don't get real fogs around here so I can't say how good they are but in thick mists, say 150 yards visibility, they just throw up a lot of glare into your face.

EDIT, there hasn't always been a lack of fog around here. I can remember my dad picking me up from youth club and the fog was so bad that after a few hundred yards, I had to get out and locate where the kerb was for my dad :scare: . Since I started driving in the 60's we've only had the odd mist and I'm pretty sure I've never driven in thick fog.

Pete

Edited by JetSet

It was fairly foggy here today, but the amount of idiots who decided that they needed their rear fogs on when travelling at 70mph and when there's a car directly behind them beggared belief. Blinding others just for the sake of being too lazy/ignorant to not flick a switch.

Front fogs are no brighter than headlights, so you don't need them to let others see you, you just need headlights on. Rear fogs are to let others behind you know you're there, but if they're behind you and close enough you can clearly see their headlights, you can turn rear fogs off. It's just needlessly dazzling otherwise, like the berks who sit with their foot on the brake at night at red lights.

Shoot them. Shoot them all.

Edited by Ekona

Front fog lights are there to help you see better in foggy conditions so should be on all cars imo. Although it is very rare that we end up needing them it is a good thing to have when fog does hit.

They are set low in the bumper of cars because fog generally tends to hold at least 10-20 inches off the ground so with the fog lights projecting light below the fog the light tends to go further allowing you to see further ahead.

I've found them very useful when driving through foggy lanes in the past.

• Like 3

Where I live we get really thick fog on country roads up on moorland hills, where low angled front fog lights help illuminate the edge of the road so you don't run into the ditch or hit a dry stone wall.

Use of main beam in these conditions will only make visibility worse.

Agreed on rear fog lights where some idiots put them on in the rain on motorways blinding drivers behind them, and masking their own brake lights.

• Like 1

I have one car that has front fogs and one car that doesn't.

I know which is safer/better to use in dense fog........

Oh, and Ekona - if you are driving with "you just need headlights on" in fog then you need shooting too - or have you forgotten how to dip your headlights? :p

• Like 1

The Highway Code says that you should only use your fog lamps when the visibility drops below 100m. If you're not sure when that is, a good rule of thumb is to work out whether you can see the tail lights of the car in front of you. If you can't, you (and they) should probably be using rear fog lamps.

I like welsh cakes.

• Like 1