Been For a Test Drive - GT86 & 370z & Scirocco R(ejection)

Stutopia

I too am confused by the polish (the paint product?) or Polish (the people?). Anyway. Today was 370z day, yay!

PikvGV4.jpg

A trip to Chorley brought me to this blue, rag top, manual on 32k. I must say the blue is much nicer in the metal than in pictures, more vibrant. Being in a foreign town and also having a chaperone I didn't get to play as much as the '86, also traffic was doing its best to ruin my run out. That said, it felt like home. It's an updated 350 isn't it? :lol: Similar driving position, similar feel to the cabin space, pulls quite a bit harder, rides a bit harder, smarter interior. I wasn't that keen on the orange display in the left of the binnacle, or the plastics (but it's part of the jap thing) so those two aside I liked it.

I was pleasantly surprised by the way it didn't feel like a rag top with the roof up, it wasn't especially noisey or noticeable (far too cold to drop it sadly) the boot probably will take a set of clubs, with the woods out. It felt really nicely planted, again like my 50, nowhere near as nimble as the '86 or as lively, but in a solid and sure footed way - not in a lardy way.

Can't bang on too long, off to see Vic & Bob tonight.

• Like 2

Wonder what the Z would look like with those jag louvres... Brb, Photoshop ;)

I wasn't that keen on the orange display in the left of the binnacle, or the plastics (but it's part of the jap thing) so those two aside I liked it.

Can't have it perfect or there will be nothing to mod :bleh:

Edited by Strudul

Dont believe all you read, rotaries can be very reliable, they just have a limited life span usually 60-70k miles ;) most of the people who say they are unreliabke have never owned one ; )

Yeah, much shorter life than a piston engine and they have to be taken care of; something which you can't guarantee when buying used.

Dont believe all you read, rotaries can be very reliable, they just have a limited life span usually 60-70k miles ;) most of the people who say they are unreliabke have never owned one ; )

Yeah, much shorter life than a piston engine and they have to be taken care of; something which you can't guarantee when buying used.

Not necessarily, a compression check like any other engine will tell you a lot, but they are not unreliable.

Edited by Jetpilot

To add to this I actually wish I'd bought a M135 over my 86 now. The car is luxurious inside and is immensely fast, with a map it must be a absolute weapon, despite looking bland it ticks a lot of other boxes.

Same here but at the time of getting the GT86 I still had my Elise so couldnt afford a M135i. Plan is to get a M140i next year now.

To add to this I actually wish I'd bought a M135 over my 86 now. The car is luxurious inside and is immensely fast, with a map it must be a absolute weapon, despite looking bland it ticks a lot of other boxes.

Given the looks of the 135/140, I can't think of any boxes that this car ticks. I understand that its a fantastic piece of engineering but for the life of me I couldn't imagine going into a dealership and desiring one, bland and not aesthetically appealing IMO.

Drive one. They're utterly fantastic. Even the auto box is spot on, but it's the handling and ability to use the power that really makes it special. Much better car than the M4 is.

But yeah, it just feels like a boggo 118d inside which is a bit of a pity. You could always add your own touches or spend a little more on deviating stitching etc to liven it up.

Having driven a 5 and 3 the m140i series is a let down inside, small dial display, manual handbrake and the cabin quality is lackin. It does drive like any other 1 series at town speeds, if I order one im making sure it has most the options ticked and going for the valencia orange.

Edited by un1eash

Electric handbrake is for lazy drivers IMO, and although the 350/370 manual handbrakes were not exactly inspiring I much preferred those to that I have in the A45.

Miss the option to use the manual as I found it so useful in icy/snowy downhill stuff keeping off the footbrake and just using the gears/handbrake and then that means you have better control over the steering rather than understeering slides each time the footbrake is used. Comes from years of off-road trialling many moons ago :blush:

But then the 4 wheel drive the A45 gives you when you want some go has its advantages on the slippery stuff :D