Been For a Test Drive - GT86 & 370z & Scirocco R(ejection)

Stutopia

Whilst I still love the Zed, after a few years with just one lady, ardour can cool. I've been considering the GT86/BRZ as a replacement as well as a 370 and an XKR and a Cayman and a 6er, well you know how it is once you start browsing autotrader :lol:. Cruising by the Toyota dealership and they had this winking at me outside...

AdDZOp7.jpg

I love the look of the Toybaru (particularly in WRC blue) and have been seeking an opportunity to take one for a drive. The Toyota dealer was very friendly and happily sent me off to see what she's like. It was nice to take it out without a chaperone and close to home - i have a little circuit I like to drive in the Zed, perfect for a like for like comparison. It was a 2013 with 33k on the clock, totally stock AFAIK and immaculate apart from a worn knob and a small dent on the rear quarter - just under £15k.

As for the drive, I was expecting something pointy, go-karty and stuck to the road, but probably short on grunt. This wasn't quite what I experienced. It's a really eager little thing, the throttle response on this one was desperate to get going, even compared to my uprev'd Z. It's so keen!!! Sadly, as the revs climb you don't get a the baritone of V6, Berks and cobra - just a strange grunting from up front and another noise, perhaps from inside (do they have a noise faker?). This is my first go in a stock boxer with stock exhaust, it's not a noise that stirs the soul is it? Even with the window down, letting in the bitter cold, the exhaust was barely audible, but that is easily fixed with modding - it's not like the Zed sounds beefy in OEM form.

Round town and getting on to the motorway I enjoyed the easy drive and it's a much lighter clutch and steering than the Z. Puling on to the motorway it was up to traffic cop non-bothering speeds in good time. It didn't feel much slower than the Z, however, the Zed's power just keeps climbing right up until you shift. The Toybaru just didn't surge at all as the revs climbed. Trying to getting going from 70 in 6th was a waste of time, this car is going to see a lot more shifts than the Z!

This was all as expected, but the surprise was on the B roads - it felt a bit floaty compared to the Zed. I know it's about half a ton lighter, but I expected this to make it feel more "connected" to the road, not less. I don't know if it was just the huge difference in weight, or the Nexens on the rear and Michelins on the front or perhaps the springs and shocks I've put on the Z have spoiled me, but it didn't fill me with the confidence like I expected. I saw the TC light more times in 20 minutes of driving this than I have in 6 months with the zed. However, the TC is more friendly than the Zs, it doesn't pull you over for a telling off, it just lets the back shuffle across and then reigns it in before it gets out of hand. I could very easily see how that could be fun and the way it broke away was nice and soft, I'd be turning off the aids fairly soon on one of these and playing around with the limit. In the Zed I've only stepped the back out twice (both unintentionally) and it was't something I particularly wanted to do again without some tuition, the "snap back" on the Zed was very aggressive (for my skill level at least). The GT86 was much friendlier.

I wasn't blown away by the brakes, they were fine but they just weren't as sharp as my Z. I was expecting the reduced lard of the GT86 to mean it pulled up more sharply and the brakes to have more initial bite, it didn't. I might be being unfair comparing stock GT86 to modified Zed (DBAs, DS2500s, baited lines). I thoroughly enjoyed the steering, much like the throttle response, it is eager. Applying the same inputs I would in the zed on the motorway, the 'GT86 fairly hops from one lane to the next. Once I got used to it, it's fast turn in was very pleasing and encouraged me to get into the twisties.

I loved the seating position and the seats very much, though my arms must be a bit short as the wheel felt far away, even with my little legs. The interior is all round much more modern than the Z - the Japanese love of hard plastic is still very much in place, the checked effect dash was fine, so long as you don't touch it, and how often do you really touch your dash? The back seats are even less of a space than I expected, with me being a short arse, you could just about get another shortie in behind. I'm not sure that would be the case on the passenger side if one of them is topping 5'6". All in all, I liked the interior - it's not going to trouble the German's but neither does its price tag. The boot was decent and deep, albeit with a very narrow aperture. So good for golf clubs, bad for flat packs.

All in all, I really enjoyed the drive and at £14,750 I think, for it's age and milage it's a bargain. Sadly, I actually laughed out loud when the salesman offered me £3000 for my extremely tidy 2004 350z GT on 67k. The ICE alone is worth a grand but, in fairness, he was very apologetic about it and said it might do better if I went private with enthusiasts.

Apologies for banging on, I realise you will care very little for what I think of the Toybaru, and you'd be right not to :lol: I wanted to get my thoughts down now, whilst it's still fresh and I can refer back to this once I test drive the others. Next up, a 370 I think...

I do have one question though, any ideas why the GT86 felt "floaty" to me?

• Like 9

I wouldn't describe the GT86 as floaty from my experience. It's lighter on its feet than a 350 and ultimately has less grip IME (standard vs non-standard comparison, but I think it's true compared to a standard zed also), but it always felt well controlled to me.

I do love these cars, spoke to a few enthusiasts at JAE last year about them, particlarly the bloke with the chrome wrapped one. They just don't have the grunt of V6 or V8 though for me (appreciate their not supposed too), but if they came out the factory turbo'd or SC'd I'd defo be more interested.

A fair write up, once I put new wheels and tyres on mine it does transform. As for the floaty I know what you mean but I think that's what Toyota intended. Mine is now on coilovers and it's like glue everywhere but still allows the slip at the back when giving it full beans in low gears. Drive in VSC Sport and it allows you to drive out of the slip it's brilliant fun, as for power mins sc running 320 it pulls so well like a little train, it is 100% quicker than a 370.

Edited by Leosille
  • Like 1

I'm also considering the same

replacement as well as a 370 and an XKR and a Cayman and a 6er

GT86 / BRZ / FR-S is too slow from what I've heard. Maybe if they ever do an STI...

I'm looking at the same alternatives as you though, with the XKR being the current favourite (won't be for a couple of years at least though). Go try all those and report back with which is best :thumbs:

On paper the 0-60 is slow mainly down to the tyres and the need to shift gears again to hit 60. Once moving its pretty brisk but you do have to work at it which can be involving as well as rewarding.

A few small mods and a remap will see another 20bhp and transform the car. First thing to do is get rid of the oem michelin tyres, my car was on michelin front and ditch finders rear, it was all over the place with the traction control constantly on and it did float around at speed so I wasn't that confident on B roads.

Now it has uniroyal rainsport 3's all round I rarely see the traction light and it gets off the line and out of corners quicker, it reminds me alot of my old Elise without the performance.

Brakes don't have the best initial bite but do stop well, oem pads are really squeeky so best changed also.

A fair write up, once I put new wheels and tyres on mine it does transform. As for the floaty I know what you mean but I think that's what Toyota intended. Mine is now on coilovers and it's like glue everywhere but still allows the slip at the back when giving it full beans in low gears. Drive in VSC Sport and it allows you to drive out of the slip it's brilliant fun, as for power mins sc running 320 it pulls so well like a little train, it is 100% quicker than a 370.

At least I'm not going mad! New rubber and wheels would defo be on my list, plus an exhaust.

I had a play with the VSC button but it made the same light as turning off the TC, so I was a bit nervous (wasn't mine after all!) about what it did. What's the difference between the VSC and the TC buttons?

I'm also considering the same

replacement as well as a 370 and an XKR and a Cayman and a 6er

GT86 / BRZ / FR-S is too slow from what I've heard. Maybe if they ever do an STI...

I'm looking at the same alternatives as you though, with the XKR being the current favourite (won't be for a couple of years at least though). Go try all those and report back with which is best :thumbs:

I'm not certain it's too slow, you're comfortably playing around at 50-70 depending on the road, same as I would in the Zed. If I was tracking it at speeds above this, then I imagine it would feel a bit short, but I took my speed awareness course as a message from above about my road behaviour :lol:

Edit: I'll happily report back on any others :thumbs:

I'm not certain it's too slow, you're comfortably playing around at 50-70 depending on the road, same as I would in the Zed. If I was tracking it at speeds above this, then I imagine it would feel a bit short, but I took my speed awareness course as a message from above about my road behaviour :lol:

Was referring more to the acceleration to reach those speeds.

No denying it's a good sports car (handles well at decent speed), but sometimes I just want to put my foot down and go fast in a straight line.

• Like 1

I have had an XKR and few 911's and now a 370z...

Had a go in a GT86 as im a big toyota fan and have had many of the earlier sporty models... But it was just too gutless and flimsy.

I preferred the XKR out of all of them... An immense car.

X100 or X150?

Why'd you swap to a Z34?

• Like 1

What we have here is basically a Generation 8 Celica with rear wheel drive and a fancy name :stir: . I had a gen 7 T.Sport, 190 bhp and that review just sums up how similar they are. Not that my T-Sport was a bad car, in fact it was very enjoyable, the only problem I had with it was the Traction Control kicking in at random times (mainly on the straights), quite dangerous really :scare: . Despite multiple visits to the Toyota dealer, they never completely cured it. If it had a bit more power, say 250bhp then it would be well worth considering. On the plus side though it's reasonably cheap, my T-Sport set me back just over 22k in 2003.

Pete

• Like 1

Pretty similar to how I found it Stu. Seats amazing, noise ridiculous (no fake noise maker, but a pipe on the intake plumbed into the cabin), great car at 10/10ths but being outdragged on the motorway by a 1.4 diesel would get real boring real quick.

Shame it was on silly mixed tyres (a main dealer should know better), as with the TCS off then even on the OEM Prius tyres it's really very playful but in a good way.

Had a go in a GT86 as im a big toyota fan and have had many of the earlier sporty models... But it was just too gutless and flimsy.

X100 or X150?

Why'd you swap to a Z34?

X150

I sold it because I wanted something newer with lower miles as my other half is gonna be piling on the miles,as we use the Z as a daily too..

I'm looking for a 5.0 XKR in the new year though

Edited by Alpinaman
  • Like 1

X100 or X150?

Why'd you swap to a Z34?

X150

I sold it because I wanted something newer with lower miles as my other half is gonna be piling on the miles,as we use the Z as a daily too..

I'm envious :dry:

noise ridiculous (no fake noise maker, but a pipe on the intake plumbed into the cabin)

The cover for the cigarette lighter socket in the glove box perfectly plugs the hole from the engine bay, so the intake noise is easily shut up if you don't like it. I can't really tell the difference with my exhaust setup though...

The torque is woefully short, that's a lot of work to get anywhere quick and, as Ekona says, you'd get pretty pi**ed off with a golf diesel pissing all over you.

It's pretty, in a Japanese way but Toyota missed a trick here. Fatrab on here had a supercharged one, had a few problems with that. Sorry but tyres and wheels aren't going to fix the gutlesness of this pretty car.

''Tis true

If the GT86 had 280-300bhp it would be a great motor ..

The GT twin cams and GT4's I had also lacked performance in comparison to other manufacturers cars at the same time, despite driving brilliantly they just didn't have enough go..

Perhaps it's just what Toyota "do" ... 😳

X100 or X150?

Why'd you swap to a Z34?

X150

I'm envious :dry:

Done be...

All similar money to my 62 plate z34 ....

XKR was cheap to insure too..

£212

I desperately want an F type ... I think they are beautiful, but not in my price bracket...residuals are brilliant too.... the coupes have been out over 3 years and have not lost a great deal of money..

😢

Edited by Alpinaman