Supercharged Type R to a 370z?

nub

Hi there, I've been with Hondas and Type RS for years, currently with a supercharged Champ White FN2.

So I do like my civic but I got listening to some of the 350/370 V6 engine clips, with a cat back or even a muffler delete they sound pretty good and I can see myself revving at idle looking like an idiot because it sounds so good. But then I thought well a standard 350 doesn't stand out to me. The 2015/16 nismo I feel looks fantastic, my favourite car under 30k but more than I should be spending for now. A stock 370z in white kinda took my fancy with black alloys ideally but still a bit plain until I realised you can bolt on the nismo '15 plate bumpers on there for a reasonable price? I wouldn't back it a full on rep just the bunkers. So I have a projected planned, I could sell my civic, add some more cash and get an 09, 10 plate 370z then stick the nismo bumpers on. Would these definitely fit on ok? I know the DRLs are expensive.

So then the problem is, despite not having heard one person to fully commit myself I know these are 326bhp but a whopping 1600KG? So with that BHP/tonne I feel like it might feel mighty slow considering my civic is 340bhp and only 1320kg, some 260bhp/tonne so the 370z should be considerably slower. Does the 370z feel fast being so heavy? I know they've got good low down torque which might make up for it but I just hope it's not a let down. As for remapping, with a stillen gen 3, high flow cats, and a good cat back... basically full bolt ons with a remap what could I expect? 350bhp? Or more? Is it like K20s where a 3" provides the most power? I've no idea on brands yet but I'd want a cat back that is loud enough to open up the engine note to its potential but not too loud. One with long tips sticking out the end would be cool too but that's something I'd have to look into. Does a decat make considerably more than a high flow cat? The brakes look decent as far as valises go but are they enough for such a heavy car? I'd imagine them fading quite quick. I'd of course get better pads and braided lines.

I think if I could get 360-370bhp it might actually be a match for my civic if that's possible without boost 😀

Some pics of my FN2, if anyone wants to trade their white 370z I might consider, plus cash ;)

Thanks

Pics of my FN2

bce6a483d9785449f21b70dd6e9fd898.png48b474d92185b53fbe048948e78b8e3c.jpg1c6d210291a202606fd576fb10d5334d.jpg5f394e4e7218ee6e74566a56f0d93ade.jpgf1eb5bc3c9f1208acbe5e71463dee7b2.png6f2be1af8939b4aa0306bca9a3d312c2.jpg

2e4a5a47150e8ebc7ccc2c9b0430401f.jpg6e6081ed099a6480e2ea8bb560a68c01.jpg38bedae8a7914caa543ce5e95379d9bd.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by nub
  • Like 1

Welcome along

They are very different animals the 370 is more rewarding on big winding open road then tight little technical b roads although it will do ok on the tight stuff

Fettle with the suspension on the 370 and they feel a lot more planted and nimble

Supercharge one and you have as good as 500 horses under your but :)

• Like 1

Nice looking FN2 and welcome aboard. :welcome:

As said I think you really need to drive a Zed to see what you think.

Personally I didn't rate my FN2 when I had it as much of a drivers car whereas my old 350Z I did, ...my FN2 was never supercharged though whereas my Zed was so that might make a difference. :teeth:

Welcome along. If you have it up for sale yet could you pm me what kind of money you are considering for it as my brother is on the look out for an FN2 but I have a feeling this might be a bit over his budget. It's a lovely example

Thanks guys, yeah I'm on civinfo and CTRO etc. Recognise GMballistic. I'd be considering an 09/10 plate 370z in white if I could get one for around £15,000. I'd probably get £12,500 for my civic, maybe more if I'm patient or maybe less. It is a faster car and probably quicker in corners, cheaper to run and maintain, mpg definitely better on the civic! But I think the looks and sound should be worth it. Can someone tell me what BHP I'd get remapping with intake, cat back and high flow cat? If estimate 350bhp? I do like the idea of 1st gear launches which I can't do in the civic. I'd get AD08s all round. Also what kinda torque are these making from 2000rpm? I'm gonna try find one local to test drive, more than likely I'll only find a 350z in a garage but I guess they're similar. Anyone have a 350-360 NA 370z and does your feel quick despite being so heavy ?

Thanks

Thanks guys, yeah I'm on civinfo and CTRO etc. Recognise GMballistic. I'd be considering an 09/10 plate 370z in white if I could get one for around £15,000. I'd probably get £12,500 for my civic, maybe more if I'm patient or maybe less. It is a faster car and probably quicker in corners, cheaper to run and maintain, mpg definitely better on the civic! But I think the looks and sound should be worth it. Can someone tell me what BHP I'd get remapping with intake, cat back and high flow cat? If estimate 350bhp? I do like the idea of 1st gear launches which I can't do in the civic. I'd get AD08s all round. Also what kinda torque are these making from 2000rpm? I'm gonna try find one local to test drive, more than likely I'll only find a 350z in a garage but I guess they're similar. Anyone have a 350-360 NA 370z and does your feel quick despite being so heavy ?

Thanks

:wave::lol:

Been awhile since I've been on CTRO as I'm mostly on here, especially after selling my second Type R (FN2) and moving to the dark side (Audi :teeth: ). Used to be on CTRO a lot though back in the day and it did have some great threads going on as well as some great members.

This is why I never change my username across all the forums I've ever been on as it's great to come across old names/friends from the past. :thumbs:

If you want a 370Z then tbh I think you'd be wasting your time to test drive a 350Z. Even if you drove the later 350Z with the VQ35HR engine in it that is still not a 370Z which has a different engine (VQ37VHR), different wheelbase, weight etc etc. It just won't drive the same or sound the same.

Hopefully some 370 owners will answer some of your questions. Here is a thread which might interest you regarding the 370Z engine: http://www.350z-uk.com/topic/75245-vq37vhr-maxengine-power/

Zeds for sale here: http://www.350z-uk.com/forum/51-zeds-for-sale/

Yeah good times on CTRO but I think all forums are less active now. Nothing conclusive on that link. I know all about the K20 and it's common knowledge that around 250bhp is the limit with all bolt ons. So surely members here must have the same knowledge in relation to 370zs? I want to find out which is the best performing and sounding exhaust, intake etc. In time I will learn... when it comes to modding FN2s and EP3s I know just about everything.

Have you had a 370? Think I'll enjoy it ? 🙂

My main concern is appearance. I want a storm white with black alloys and in time, I want the nismo bumpers. With the exception of super cars, a nismo 370z in whIte is my favourite looking car. Coupled with a great sounding engine and exhaust, I can overlook the lesser performance and with it being a heavy car, more expensive to run than my FN2. My civic can do 36+ mpg cruising which is pretty good for a 340bhp car.

Yeah good times on CTRO but I think all forums are less active now. Nothing conclusive on that link. I know all about the K20 and it's common knowledge that around 250bhp is the limit with all bolt ons. So surely members here must have the same knowledge in relation to 370zs? I want to find out which is the best performing and sounding exhaust, intake etc. In time I will learn... when it comes to modding FN2s and EP3s I know just about everything.

Have you had a 370? Think I'll enjoy it ? 🙂

My main concern is appearance. I want a storm white with black alloys and in time, I want the nismo bumpers. With the exception of super cars, a nismo 370z in whIte is my favourite looking car. Coupled with a great sounding engine and exhaust, I can overlook the lesser performance and with it being a heavy car, more expensive to run than my FN2. My civic can do 36+ mpg cruising which is pretty good for a 340bhp car.

I haven't owned a 370 hence why I didn't want to comment on them to in depth as my knowledge on them is nothing compared to the 350 as that's what I owned and put my time into learning about. I do think though that 350Bhp with bolt on mods and a remap should be achievable for the 370Z.

I modified my 350Z as far as I could performance wise in N/A guise firstly which got me 294Bhp@fly, was a 2003 DE Zed so started around "276Bhp" when new but who knows what it was when I first got it.

Then I took it to the next level which was going FI ~ I decided on a Vortech supercharger kit which netted me 436Bhp@fly so a healthy increase over my previous power levels. Obviously transformed the car and was fantastic.

Info, pics & videos in my old build thread: http://www.350z-uk.com/topic/91628-gmballistics-zed-supercharged-2003-gun-metal-gt-coupe-vids-added/

Some of your questions with regards to the "best" parts though will be personal choice as some parts may net similar or the same power/torque increases but just vary in style, looks or price especially when you're talking exhausts & air intakes.

I'd try not to focus too much on the weight of the car as with regards to that in the 350 Zeds case I felt that it helped in making the car feel more planted on the road and inspired confidence in it's handling. ;)

I find the 370 reasonable on running costs can average low 30mpg on a mixed run obviously the tax is more expensive insurance was the same as my fn2 mod wise I'm no expert but the ark grip is considered to be the best sounding exhaust system a stillen G3 induction kit and wheel spacers all round should be your 1st mods as for power with FI anything between 5-600 bhp is safely achievable

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

I moved from an fn2 to a 350z. I loved my civic on the eibach springs and with a fast road setup it was a real b road king. The 350z however is just a whole new animal, it feels so good behind the wheel, and rwd is always going to bring more excitement than front. I imagine you will be missing the power aspect as the 350/370 are not the quickest cars in the world but they make up for that in character. Even with 350-370bhp i dont think it will 'feel' as fast as the civic. Beleive me when i say you wont regret making the switch to a rwd coupe though 😉

Thanks

Iv had my 370 on a roller and it was making about 20 under peak torque from 2k and then maintains it all the way through the rev range up to 6800 where it starts to drop off.

This was my 370z auto

The lower figure was cat back , intake hoses, k&n filters and remap , the later figure was decats and another remap

Truth is the 370 does lack a bit of torque compared to FI stuff , I cant help thinking you will be very underwhelmed with a stock 370 after a charged Type R

img037_zps9tlunrwn.jpg