VQ37VHR Max.Engine Power

ScottyZ

Am I right in thinking that the maximum power that can be extracted from the 370 engine with all the aftermarket breather/exhaust mods,uprev remap - in fact anything APART from Forced Induction, is around 340 - 350 BHP at the CRANK.

This figure is what mine is running at and also the new Nismo. Just curious.

Cheers,

Scotty

Cams would make an improvement over that. I was reading last night a guy in America who's pushing 370-380.

If you've got the cash to flash, anything is possible.

Edited by Wasso

• 5 months later...

I thought cams weren't possible on the 370s VVEL system and even if they were the system is so good they wouldn't provide much gain anyway.

Bear in mind the Ferrari Developed V8 4.2 in a Maserati GranTurismo only puts out 399hp, so 350hp from a 3.7 V6 developed by Nissan is still quite impressive. Obviously 370 would be the ultimate target though! :)

true but a ferrari developed 4.5 litre V8 in the 458 Italia puts out 562bhp, or 124.8 hp per litre :scare:

what you need are engine components able to withstand a stratospheric rev limit (say, 9000rpm) combined with a high compression ratio and all airflow mods to get air in and out on time....

by ferrari logic the absolute max you could get from a 3.7 litre engine would be 462bhp, but to make that power there wouldnt be anything left of the original engine!

I thought cams weren't possible on the 370s VVEL system and even if they were the system is so good they wouldn't provide much gain anyway.

AFAIK that only applies to the intake cam. Our exhaust cams are just normal camshafts so can be changed, there's one aftermarket set I know of: Jun.

All sorts of long winded threads on USA forums about them, which I've not read. The Jun product info is misleading IMO as they compare a stock car + exhaust to a built engine (higher compression CP pistons & CP rods as well as their exhaust cams) with larger injectors & different ECU plus the exhaust then claim those gains:

http://www.junauto.co.jp/news/enews000163.html

Either way, they look cool B)

• Like 1

true but a ferrari developed 4.5 litre V8 in the 458 Italia puts out 562bhp, or 124.8 hp per litre :scare:

what you need are engine components able to withstand a stratospheric rev limit (say, 9000rpm) combined with a high compression ratio and all airflow mods to get air in and out on time....

by ferrari logic the absolute max you could get from a 3.7 litre engine would be 462bhp, but to make that power there wouldnt be anything left of the original engine!

Haha that one doesn't count... It's a world record holder :p

• 2 months later...

Including supporting mods, probably about £10K?

Very ouch.

When you have £100k + cars that get smaller in you rear view mirror it makes it all worth it & if that's not enough, then the look on their faces when they pull up next to you after they have been owned by a Datsun makes it all worth it 😀

Edited by Darren-B
  • Like 3

Including supporting mods, probably about £10K?

Very ouch.

When you have £100k + cars that get smaller in you rear view mirror it makes it all worth it & if that's not enough, then the look on their faces when they pull up next to you after they have been owned by a Datsun makes it all worth it 😀

How very very childish :nono:

And fun :teeth::drive1:

Sent from the golf club...

There is a guy where i live who i believe is on the forum (Chan) who told me his 370z is 380bhp. He has HFCs, invidia exhaust and stillen Gen3 intake and got it mapped in leeds somewhere. He said the guy that did it was surprised and its the best gains he has seen from those mods.

There is a guy where i live who i believe is on the forum (Chan) who told me his 370z is 380bhp. He has HFCs, invidia exhaust and stillen Gen3 intake and got it mapped in leeds somewhere. He said the guy that did it was surprised and its the best gains he has seen from those mods.

That's probably what the RR told him, which is no ones fault as dyno's are only mapping tools TBH.

One RR will read 380, another will read 360, depends on how they're calibrated amongst other things.

Many a tuner war convo be had to this.

It's all just pub talk anyway really.

That'll be RS Tuning most likely. I believe their dyno is on the optimistic side by all accounts. Also, was that at the hubs or fly as that would obviously make quite a difference (17% IIRC after you take into account the power loss from the transmission).

That'll be RS Tuning most likely. I believe their dyno is on the optimistic side by all accounts. Also, was that at the hubs or fly as that would obviously make quite a difference (17% IIRC after you take into account the power loss from the transmission).

rs tunings dyno is the opposite if you ask me to be honest. All the cars that come out there usually have reserved numbers unlike tdi norths dyno.

That is an interesting link, thats cheap! With some intakes, an exhaust, reworked intake and new manifolds you can get 400hp? It seems a little too good to be true!

Cheap ? Really looking at around £2500+ for 70hp

• 4 weeks later...

My car made 370bhp at rs tuning then 372bhp at ava rr but like most people said, its how the car drives that matters the most. Will get both 370z out and you can see for yourself the difference between the two.

I've got the Invidia Gemini and CNT/ERZ HFC's. Would be good to see the difference before I buy the Gen3 then pay for a remap. Talking another £1k

Edited by mike89