Problems with higher mileage?

Lucasb

Just wondering if many people experience any big issues as the higher mileages are reached?

Always interested in buying one sub 80k but recently seen some stunning 100k+ examples (especially on this forum) and it's making me think about changing my mind!

what are people's opinions? With a full service history these cars seem pretty robust and it definitely opens up a wider choice when buying!

Thanks in advance!!

Service history and buying from an enthusiast is usually the best call IMHO. Buying one off a member on here just adds to the confidence of the buy, especially if they have run a build thread.

Depends on the cars history imo.

I'd rather have a well cared for 10 year old car with 100 k on the clock than one that has 10k miles and not being used enough.

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

One of the most reliable zeds I know (required minimal upkeep costs) was one of the higher mileage zeds on the forum. It was an absolutely gem. Like others have said buy the car based on the condition and the way it was kept and maintained and don't worry so much about the mileage.

Mine has just ticked over 120k.

I've only had the car a couple of months, but it has so far not missed a beat in the 1,500 or so miles I have done. I was looking for a lower mileage example but I was lured in as the car was one owner from new, had full Nissan history from the dealer that originally supplied it and was in the spec I wanted :-)

Also still on the original clutch (the previous owner was in his 70s when I bought the car off him, haha).

91k on mine and still on the original clutch :)

Never uses any oil at all between services, I wouldn't hesitate in buying a 100k plus car if it's been looked after.

You need to use the pedal on the right a bit harder ;)

17k out of my last clutch :lol:

FSH Never been tracked

EDIT - Sorry that's No history and never been off the track - well except for a few spins at Quarry Corner and that mishap on the airfield that time :lol:

• Like 2

Personally I wouldnt have a problem buying a high mileage car as long as the history was there and I trusted the owner. Some people like myself, use their cars as a daily runner and can soon add on 20k a year of motorway miles which puts hardly any strain on car.

However, my biggest concern would be reselling the car when I finally was finished with it, as 100k still is that psychological barrer to some buyers who would rather buy a 60 or 70k miles car and face potential bills than a 100k+ car which has more than likely already had all the work done to it.

• Like 1

Ha Bradders!

Go for the best you can get, some recordings of these cars going 200k miles plus but who knows how they have been driven. Every car will be different, servicing and condition hugely important. In the fickle UK market if you want something to hold a bit of value and sell quickly some time down the line if you decide to sell lower mileage really makes a difference, most people looking for cars online will put a mileage filter on their search requirements.

love the low maintenance on these cars - so well engineered

you only have to lift the bonnet or pull a cover off something to see how well it's put together and that's even more prominent even after years of use when compared to other brands i've seen after just a couple of years

• Like 1

I recently purchased mine from a member on here.

As with most people I was keeping an eye open for a car around the 70-80k mark with my budget.

In the end I saw the car on here at about 96k with a very good build thread and plenty of receipts to back up all the work and showed he wasn't scared to spend some money!

Throw in some very tasteful parts and the car was an absolute bargain and nothing else around the money I paid I could touch this car!

My m3 wasnt missing a beat at 125k (I wouldn't expect it to) so I'd have no worries about the Z which in my opinion should be the more reliable car!

Sold mine nearly 4 years ago with 91k on the clock. Main reason I sold was cos of the value drop nearer 100k and the fact it's harder to sell. But it still drove perfectly

If you get one that's well kept with higher miles you will save a few quid

My wife's lexus IS is driving really well with 131k and my mums LS drives even better with over 160k

115000 and no problems with mine.56000 when I bought it not really having any knowledge of Zs when I bought it.Test drove it and shook hands on the deal.

I read somewhere recently the design engineers brief was that the engine at least should be good for a minimum of 200000,so high mileages shouldnt be a problem as long as has been said,the car has been looked after.Mine was originally from a Nissan head office manager.

I ticked mine over to 96k and there haven't been any real issues so far. I believe it's got the original clutch and 2nd can be a bit...notchy, I guess, (unless there's a gearbox issue I haven't diagnosed yet) but aside from consumables and parts that generally wear out I haven't had to do much. Really the only things that come to mind are loose/rotted heat shields and I had to replace a dead cam sensor.

Revup drinks oil a bit, but as far as I am aware that's got nothing to do with the age, just the type of engine it is.

Same again, 112k, I put 23k of those on, original clutch, not a single non-standard problem.

I've put new rear discs and pads on, which I did myself.

I've had the clicking axle, which I fixed myself.

I've had it serviced by people smarter than me purely for my own sanity (better to have more experienced eyes check the car over which in happy to pay for) and to maintain stamps in my book so that I don't struggle to sell the car.

My car's a RevUp and it uses about 0.3-0.4l oil every 1000 miles, which I'm perfectly happy with.