Going Topless - Anyone Really Loved A Convertible?

Stutopia

On one of the 8 days a year that it's sunny, I long for a roadster. The wing blowing over my skull, flies in my teeth and the constant fear of some scumbag slashing it open with a blade.

I can't got 350 roadster as I'm Team Coupe and it's not a big enough change to warrant the outlay.

370 roadster seems like fun, but if I was to spend that amount, I'd be expecting back seats.

Accordingly, the G37 convertible is my current favourite.

MX5 always seem like the right choice, but if I have the roof off I want to be serenaded with V6 or V8 noises.

BME 3 series, meh.

Anyone owned and loved a convertible? Must be under 15k.

Go!

645/650 cab? Cheap as chips, V8 too. E46 M3 is a nice place to be, even though you don't like the 3 series.

I don't fully trust anyone who doesn't like convertibles. They add so much to the driving experience in any weather, not just when it's sunny.

• Like 1

I'm not against convertibles Dan, loved the Camaro in California and Louisiana. 6er is a good shout, especially with its V8ness.

That Merc has elements of snipped hair, but I bet the engine soon puts that to bed. Another good one.

Can't see the Maser on autotrader :(

• Like 1

TVR Tuscan :)

Bought it last Friday, don't think I've driven it with the roof on yet. Looks good, 400bhp, surprisingly big boot - even with the roof off.

Oh - £15k - TVR Chimera. Rover V8. Sounds EPIC!

Edited by Commander
  • Like 2

Had an MG midget and a Herald convertible back in my yooooooth so been there and done it. In my later years the sun burns me thinning bonce so not interested anymore :D

Bandana is now mandatory for any top down fun :lol:

• Like 1

Once upon a time..... I had an MGB roadster with a full Janspeed exhaust and manifold with a half race cam....sounded great but wouldn't pull you out of bed.

Used to love driving it in the winter with the top down dressed in flying jacket, hat and gloves!

• Like 1

I'd love a TVR but they're a bit rich for me as a second car and I like working too much to have one as a daily.

VX220 is another good shout :thumbs:

They sold more Chimaera than all other models of TVR combined, and the Rover V8 they used is found in all sorts of things and very reliable. Nice big boot and the seats are comfy too - so all round better than a VX220 for everything apart from track days I'd say.

• Like 1

VX/Elise isn't 100% convertible but does give you an open top experience like no other and you don't get bashed around by the wind either.

Certainly gives you a feeling of being outside given how low you are to the ground even though its targa - wind noise was ok, a little intrusion but generally pretty good on that front. Great thing about the VX is that they use generally super reliable vauxhall engines and components, repair jobs on these cars cost pittance a its usually a part straight off the shelf at your local vauxhall garage. And the supercharged ones...well they are rocket ships, first time you are in one and put your foot down, will honestly cause you to struggle for air!

My S2 Elise has the super reliable K Series VVC. They are such simple cars to maintain and fix and very light on consumables, worse thing about them is access as your constantly removing the rear diffuser and big jobs like rad replacement (another super reliable part ;) ) is front clam off job.

People always ask me if it's fast and I just say it's quick enough but I've been in an Exige 240s and that thing leaves me in its dust.

Edited by un1eash

I really enjoyed a spin I had recently in a 987 Boxster S .I say enjoyed but truth be known I b****y loved it!

Such a tactile delight and I'm seriously considering one.

Crikey, I had no idea these were so cheap (for a Porshce), they've probably got a less manly image than the MX5, but I imagine that matters not one jot when you're behind the wheel.

I'd been looking for a convertible of sorts since selling the M6 in January, I had my head set to buy one to tick that box and enjoy the summer. The only two I was looking at were the Mk2.5 1.8 MX5 and S2000.

I kept finding nice examples of MX5's for not much money, but Coming from the zed and a 500hp BMW I felt the 136hp would be very underwhelming. I never actually went to test drive any because of this as I wouldn't want to waste any sellers time, but I'm pretty certain that even though they are supposed to be excellent handling machines, I'd get frustrated with the lack of grunt.

As for the S2000, they're too much money IMO. A 2000 with over 100k is the same or more money than an 04/05 Zed with 50k and I can't justify spending that much for the Honda knowing what value the Zed is.

Needless to say, I'm back in a 350Z coupe :lol:

• Like 1

I really enjoyed a spin I had recently in a 987 Boxster S .I say enjoyed but truth be known I b****y loved it!

Such a tactile delight and I'm seriously considering one.

Crikey, I had no idea these were so cheap (for a Porshce), they've probably got a less manly image than the MX5, but I imagine that matters not one jot when you're behind the wheel.

Well obviously if you were concerned about lacking a manly image, you'd just get a coupe instead :p

• Like 1