4 x 4 Recommendations

Flex

Bored of the scirrocco and have two other impractical cars, thinking nice big 4 x 4, consider anything any age, not too new as dont want to lose too much on depreciation.

Any recommendations?

My mate as a 20 year old Honda CRV that just keeps on going and cost sweet FA to keep running. Tempted just for the reliability element.

Edited by Flex

When you say 4x4 do you mean pick up truck style, or Chelsea tractor style?

I always quite liked the BMW X6, and the new Mercedes GLE/GLC aren't bad either.

Never got on with Land Rover Discovery's but the Range Rover Sports are nice :)

The Mitsubishi L200s are crap, imo, but hey, what about the VW Amarok? Or a Nissan Navara? They seem okay :)

If England wasn't so pathetically small I'd recommend a Dodge Ram or Ford F150 haha there's a Ram near me and it's huge, but that V8 sounds glorious as it bumbles down the road, hear him miles away :)

• Like 1

Keep it Jap FTW - Infitinit V6 goodness, it's basically a 4x4 370Z :lol:

http://www.autotrade...1?atmobcid=soc3

Whilst that appeals I want something that I dont want to care about.

Ahh - well that's easy then, Defender with winch!

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201603151994943?atmobcid=soc3

• Like 2

I'd feel like a real man in that

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk

Defender - proper 4x4 and gives you man points (not that I'm biased).

They are an experience to drive and you'll either hate it or love it. But very simple and great fun.

If it's too agricultural for you, then I'd look at a Disco 3. Great vehicles and tbh almost as good off road as a Defender

• Like 1

Aye, another LR convert here, the Defender is awesome but very marmite, the Disco is a great car but for me you cant touch a full fat Rangey, they make everything else a pale imitation :teeth:

The petrols are juicy and they dont have a great rep for reliability but they are awesome, air suspension never gets old :lol:

That's defender is awesome. So much want!!

Nissan Pathfinder.

Always enjoyed driving my brother in laws one (before he wrote it off).

+ 1 on that. I've got a RA50 3.3 v6 Pathfinder, imported from Oz. It's 18 years old and its got 187000 miles on the clock and it's never cost me more than £100 to get it through its mot. Bomb proof engine and still looks good sitting next to other 4 x 4's. I've also got a 5.7l V8 Jeep Commander and it's proved to be very reliable in the 2 and half years since I bought it. The Pathfinder cost me a grand 6 years ago and the Jeep £8500, money well spent on both cars imo.

Mitsibishi shogun is also worth a look at, just depends on your budget.

I still really want a pajero 2.8td, manual.

I will get one once the zed is finished!

If your going 4 x 4, get an auto box, just better, suits that kind of car more than manual, especially if you want to do a bit off roading in it.

Christ you don't want an auto for offroading!

I don't have a lot of experience with Jap 4x4s off road, but my mate has a Paj auto and the gearbox is horrendous offroad as it doesn't have a proper low range without locking the diff, which is ridiculous.

You want a truck you can whack 2nd gear, low range, and just tick it over all day, with the odd knock into diff lock

Christ you don't want an auto for offroading!

I don't have a lot of experience with Jap 4x4s off road, but my mate has a Paj auto and the gearbox is horrendous offroad as it doesn't have a proper low range without locking the diff, which is ridiculous.

You want a truck you can whack 2nd gear, low range, and just tick it over all day, with the odd knock into diff lock

Both my 4 x 4's are auto and have low range and I find its easier on the engine with the auto box, not done much off roading but I can't see the attraction of a manual off roading, burnt out clutch comes to mind

Edited by Irn Bru

The one thing that swayed me between the jeep and the defender.. heating that works.. small point but made my choice for me.. really though you need to go try a few and see what would suit you best..

Edited by mr_smith126

My heating works just fine. Years of neglect is the usual problem...

Both my 4 x 4's are auto and have low range and I find its easier on the engine with the auto box, not done much off roading but I can't see the attraction of a manual off roading, burnt out clutch comes to mind

I regularly off road - proper stuff too, not just green lane.

The majority of it is spent in low 2nd, at tickover/low revs. Only use the clutch when stopping tbh. Mate with an auto is forever mucking about between various gearings off road and it's hopeless imo, although do see their advantages.

For the casual and occasional user there's probably not a lot of difference tbh, apart from steep descents - can't get decent engine braking with an auto and you'll sit on the brakes downhill. This, combined with the filth of offroading means your pads won't last long at all.

• Like 1

I'm up in Scotty at the mo and I've seen loads of defenders, they obviously get a good work out up here, not driven one yet but peered into a few, they look, well, very basic inside and that driving position seems very compact!

Definitely need to test drive a few options, probably not the tank though, although would be a sweet test drive.