4 x 4 Recommendations

Flex

what's the budget Flex as there are loads of options out there and what for do you intend to use it mainly

we are on our 2nd bmw x5 and I got to say they are quite good for what you pay :drive1

what's the budget Flex as there are loads of options out there and what for do you intend to use it mainly

we are on our 2nd bmw x5 and I got to say they are quite good for what you pay :drive1

Mainly as a daily but want lots of room to chuck stuff in for say trip to lakes, Scotland etc. Also would like to do some off roading, that would be cool.

If your not scared of high miles a full fat range rover could be had for 8-9k

Not sure how they are for off roading but for long journeys I would go for something German or possibly a lexus RX

Or if it's your cup of tea- how about a mitsu challenger/shogun sport? Under your budget and in warrior guise the look pretty cool

2 gear knobs surely must mean it's capable away from tarmac :lol:

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Should be able to get a reasonable Defender for that price

So I drove one! Wow, is your clutch leg bigger than the other one :lol:

I dont know, I found it very fun but that drive is something else.

Is the gearshifter still more for the passengers use than the drivers?

• Like 1

Is the gearshifter still more for the passengers use than the drivers?

Yeah pretty much!

Defender thefts have increased by 69% since production ceased.......

And no doubt insurance premiums will rise. Neighbour couldn't believe his renewal quote.

Oh dear, nowt like that happens round these parts though!

They're probably shipping them to the states!

• Like 1

Am really enjoying my V6 VW Touareg

How are you finding the size/width of the Touareg for getting around town/parking etc?

One of next potential cars on my list is about the same width but longer than a Touareg, only thing putting me off is the size compared to all our previous cars.

and it has a decent 4wd setup and has a good rep off road for what it is. better than any merc or BMW

or you could go Q7 or Cayenne both run on the same chassis as the VW.

Current VW has put me off VW ownership! And I dont want what I perceive to be chelsea tractor.

How are you finding the size/width of the Touareg for getting around town/parking etc?

One of next potential cars on my list is about the same width but longer than a Touareg, only thing putting me off is the size compared to all our previous cars.

Having had the XC90 before hand the size of the tourareg feels smaller as its turning circle and feedback make it feel more nimble. the XC90 was like an oil tanker in comparison. i find it very useable and a nice place to be.

• Like 1

and it has a decent 4wd setup and has a good rep off road for what it is. better than any merc or BMW

or you could go Q7 or Cayenne both run on the same chassis as the VW.

Current VW has put me off VW ownership! And I dont want what I perceive to be chelsea tractor.

agreed the X5 and Q7 are very chelsea but i find the Touareg doesn't draw as much attention for more useable and has proper diff controls and locks that mean its actually useable off road.

mine has the big 19" wheels which for road driving make it alot more planted for the daily driving. i have a second set of porsche wheels with winter tyres on and it has made the car pretty industructable weather wise. although we had no snow the back roads i drive can be icey and muddy. and there are some nasty negative camber sections but you wouldn't notice them in the Egg.

is the recent emissions scandal the put off point? as its starting to come to light they were all doing it. VW happened to be the first to get caught.

I like the height and size of the Touareg as i often pick up my toddler twins the ability to slot them in the car standing up with out having to fight to get into the back of the car is great.

once they are bigger i'll probably drop down to a sporty estate. (hoping a jag XFR-S sport brake)