Chris Evans not able to handle high speeds whilst filming top gear???

I challenge anyone who is not a race driver to be driven at high speeds by a professional driver and NOT feel sick.

Hell, even those of us who have done track days have probably had at least one passenger get out and mention that they weren't feeling great after a session in the seat next to you. When you're not doing the driving, the inner ear isn't always that happy with high speed, high G force manoeuvres.

Absolute non-story.

• Like 8

You only need to read "And On That Bombshell: Inside The Madness And Genius Of Top Gear" to know that they had issues filming Top Gear DC (During Clarkson). Given CH and SS are both reasonable drivers, I imagined CE would spend most of his time doing bits to camera and road testing Bentleys in a Quentin Wilson style on Top Gear PC (Post Clarkson) not being flung around on track.

I must admit, I am very curious to see what they've come up with. It could be anything from brilliant to awful, but I doubt it'll be something in between. Whatever happens, Jezzer's disciples will hate it more than 'things that are PC gone mad' but watch it every week, so it's got that going for it :lol:

its not really a story, I've had days when I've felt a bit squiffy after being a passenger in our track car. combination of heavy braking and high load cornering whilst in a hot stuffy car will do that to you. plus Sabine Schmitz is not just a racing driver, shes actually a racing instructor - several levels above where May and Hammond were.

Out of the old presenters i'd say JC was comfortably the best driver, but with the new line up CE is a long way behind CH and SS.

Have to say whilst ive never been a Chris Evans fan, I dont see what the problem is here. Personally ive only been driven fast in a car a couple of times by people and both times ive absolutely bricked it and didn't feel too clever afterwards. Its really strange. When im driving im fine, but as a passenger, even at much slower speeds it just doesnt feel right. Maybe its something with not being in control whilst being thrown around inside a tin can. Its not unusual. I remember seeing ages ago some footage with Damian Hill thrashing a Merc around a track with a TV presenter in the passenger seat and they had to stop so the guy could chuck his guts up. Damian laughed and said "Damian Hill makes me sick" as the guy was throwing up.

• Like 1

Also, Jezza went through a phase where he could barely drive anything because of various neck / back injuries being aggravated by cornering speeds, hard braking, etc... Stopping filming cos the brakes on a car you're driving hurt your own neck is no different than CE feeling sick really.

Deffo not a story, mrs glrnet usually doesn't travel well as a passenger unless she focuses on the road ahead. However, she did manage about 12 laps around Knockhill in Zman's first GTR until she beame a little unwell!! :) Let's say Zman was was giving a guy in a Porsche a bit of a lesson.

I must confess to not feeling 100% after Tony Higgins took me through a forest stage in Wales and that was just in a Forest Experience School Astra, by no means a WRC car :lol: . Having said that, it was deeply impressive at the same time. It also convinced me that I should go down the tarmac rallying route instead (which didn't come to anything either).

• Like 1

Yes, I believe there's a strong correlation between being driven and getting motion sickness, because you're not in control. I think a lot of people would have the same reaction - an R8 with Schmitz at the wheel must be pretty violent.

Or, and this is a crazy thought I know, but what if this was all scripted just to make it look really funny that SS made CE sick?

Nah, crazy idea, TG would never fake something just for a laugh...

Crazy idea ;)

What!? You mean Ross Kemp didn't die in the boot of a Twingo?!

• Like 3

I must confess to not feeling 100% after Tony Higgins took me through a forest stage in Wales and that was just in a Forest Experience School Astra, by no means a WRC car :lol: . Having said that, it was deeply impressive at the same time. It also convinced me that I should go down the tarmac rallying route instead (which didn't come to anything either).

Passengered around a forest stage at Phil Price Rally School in a tuned Scooby which I found quite exhilarating, although I had done some stage/ road rallying in the past at club level.

However, I would hate to be looking down reading pace notes as I'd end up doing this :yuck:

• Like 1

You only need to read "And On That Bombshell: Inside The Madness And Genius Of Top Gear"

You've just reminded me to go and buy that, ta!

It's an interesting, not brilliant, read so far (about 60%). I don't begrudge the £7. The constant jizzing over JC is a bit sycophantic, but worth a look.