Anyone struggle with their garage?

Kieran_ctr

Does anyone struggle to get there 350z or even 370z in there garage? Mine is too wide to get it the garage & we have been to view another house & I had to see if my zed would fit & again still too wide to fit through the door :( anyone else have this problem? It's really annoying because I hate my car been left out over night! Feel so much better knowing its locked up in the garage

Edited by Ebized

New houses are sh*t, with their tiny-arse garages that you can't get a Fisher Price car into, much less a proper car.

Is it a case of it physically won't fit, or its just tight? Bear in mind once you're past the door you get a few more inches as the garage opens up. I only had a couple of inches to spare in my old house on the door frame, but once in I could open the door pretty easily.

• Like 1

The place I live was built some 12 years ago, I could get the car in the garage with mirrors folded but not open the door, handy, on a development of some 40 houses only one person uses their garage and they own a mini.

Intetesting to note that when i applied for planning they now dont consider the current garage to be a valid parking space. So specs have changed.

Edited by Jetpilot

Garages on new builds don't seem to be made for cars these days, as odd as it sounds. Doubt mine would fit a Zed in but got it for my classic Mini, so plenty of room.

Why?

What you have described was also the case with 'new build' pre the Second World War, right up to the 1970's when Town Planning guidance then stipulated minimum garage sizes of 16' x 8'. Reflected the fact that cars owned by the masses were no longer Austin 7's and the likes.

With the 'Green lobby' gaining support in recent decades and politicians deciding our use of cars must not be encouraged saw many 'new builds' not even making provision for off-street parking, let alone garages but where parking was provided it was back to minimum sized garages just so those marketing houses could offer another tick box for potential house owners.

In reality these days, because cars don't rust away like they used to and most car owners only have them as a means of getting from A to B garages often become sheds or if attached to the house are converted into rooms.

So, for those of us who prefer to garage our cars it is not always easy, especially when house buying funds are limited, to find a property with a decent sized garage and like you I could just squeeze my 370 into the garage bulit with our 1965 built house whilst the A45 is an even tighter fit with just a total of some 12cm left for the wing mirrors to get through given I have to reverse cars in so I can out a little more easily......

Yes, as a car lover but working as a Town Planner all my life, I had some interesting debates with my peers on garage and car provision, needless to say I was often in the minority!

• Like 1

I've not tried in my new house yet because the Zee still lives in the garage of my current house. I'm dredging that it won't fit, I did manage to squeeze my 90's Jeep cherokee in there but I could barely get out of the door. Even length wise I think I'll struggle to fit my racking at the back and the car. It's so frustrating they don't make garages to actually fit in a decent car.

I agree, new house garages are sh1te. They're not designed to put cars in really, and most people store junk and kids toys in 😱. Fortunately last time I moved (luckily in a financial position to be able to do so - old fud! 😄) I insisted on a good sized double as a minimum requirement, which meant allowing her carte blanch for everything to do with the house itself.

Ive got a just below average sized block garage and it just about fits width ways, once past the door there is decent room to get out , double garages are definitely the way to go if you can find a house with one and your budget stretches. Ive resorted to driving halfway in getting out opening the window and rolling it back as I can see sod all behind me but to be fair its actually much easier this way than reversing it back and i never hit anything :lol:

Just bizarre why you would go to all the effort of building a block of garages to barely fit any normal sized cars in it :wacko:

Edited by jumping350

I think Kaiser struggles with his garage...
That's not a garage it's a car home😄

I like to think of it more as the West Wing of Kaiser Kastle.

Ref new build garage sizes, you have to remember that giving each garage say 80cm extra, by house number ten you've lost a building plot. Which depending where you live could be anything from £50k to £500k.

Edited by leonk
  • Like 1

Wish I could try, Wife insists on using the garage as a Gym - massive cross trainer and exer bike .. and then goes to paid one instead!!!!! :rant: So mine lives on the drive ... for now, but I'm scheming!! :lol:

It just won't go in, the front just fits in but then the rear won't at all! It will just scrape the sides :( it's 4 year old & I work at a electrical contractors & I have a contract with a massive company who 1st/2nd fix the new builds & they all say new houses are nothing like old ones! & they do make garages smaller now! My mate has a 22year old house & my zed fits with plenty of room each side

Garages on new builds don't seem to be made for cars these days, as odd as it sounds. Doubt mine would fit a Zed in but got it for my classic Mini, so plenty of room.

My mate has had nothing but hassle with his new build, you can tell they are built to cost. Everytime something from his snag list was sorted, something else would be damaged in the process etc. So it wouldnt surprised me at all about the garage being "just" big enough to comply with the laws definition to scrape by as a garage and not an out-building or w/e :p

Used to struggle trying to squeeze into this garage below. If you look at the pictures the door opening isn't even as wide as the driveway. :scare:

021_zpstotrhksv.jpg

002_zpsvkw9chyc.jpg

It did fit inside but only just and once I scraped by rear alloy edge on the wall. :angry: After that incident I always had to get my Mrs to guide me in like a bl**dy plane parking at an airport terminal. :blush::lol:

1_2204.jpg

Luckily the house we bought & moved into last year has a huge garage, ...just as soon as I've finished trying to sort the slight water ingress under the walls problems it will be perfect and I can finally get all my tools in there. :)

I've resorted to driving halfway in getting out opening the window and rolling it back as I can see sod all behind me but to be fair its actually much easier this way than reversing it back and i never hit anything :lol:

That's an easy one to deal with - just screw some 4"x 2" timber on the floor that lets you know when to stop. ;) OK, if you have a rear facing camera that would do the same job.....but to feel the car being stopped by the wood really does help the confidence.

I have painted the wood stop white so that I or others going in hopefully don't tip over it. Oh, and also painted a vertical white line on the rear wall so that I know if I keep that in sight with the side of the car when looking in the driver's mirror the nearside is not going to hit the wall. Had to do that with the A45 as with the multiple parking sensors front and rear going off as though all 4 corners were going to hit something when there was plenty of room.

• Like 1

My house was built in 88', I'd still call it a new build as it's amongst an Estate built in the 60's, my garage is just small though, I haven't attempted to get the zed in over fears of damaging it. I did try and get my e90 BMW in though, it went in, but I couldn't open the door to get out . Before the zed I considered getting a little Elise or something as a weekend car which would actually fit in the garage :p

Mine is about ten years old and it fits my land rover, shelving down the side, work bench at the back, with room to work and you can still open the driver's and rear door completely. One of the few garages built to a useful size in recent years I guess