new wants buy 350z but which one?

Hey all I'm new to the site. I'm looking to buy my first 350z I want advice on what to look for and so on. It won't be for drift just pure pleasure. I'm not too worried on the year on the car I'm concerned about the mileage obviously and the background. I'd like to know witch engine is the best. I see there's a few out there with different bhp as standard. Is the 308bhp the better engine? Also fancy the Nismo for its style.. is nissan. O just style or as it tweaked abit with the cars performance? Iv not really had time to look look in to them as yet I will be reading group this forum and getting to know the inside outs of the 350z I have compared the 350 to the 370. Like I said I'm new to all this so want to get the perfect 350 as it will be my pride and joy something I can show iv worked hard for and take pride in. Thanks all for you time

Hello mate welcome along, there are 3 different types of Z you can get

DE engine with 276bhp

revup which is 296bhp*(late 06 models)

HR 309bhp*(07 onwards)

All have pros and cons, I got my 2005DE due to lower mileage, cheaper tax and I believe a DE engine has more/cheaper mods.

If your looking for a newer model HR, if it has a dual intake system then it is a HR as some dealers list them as HR models when they are not.

My main concern when looking for a 350z was making sure services were completed upto date, check the oil pressure was normal and that the clutch was ok or had it been changed along with the usual tyres,brakes etc.

Edited by jimmy.farrow7

Also check that it has NOT been run on normal unleaded petrol, if it has would avoid it straight away.

Major service due at around 54000 miles had mine in march cost me £520.

Bose sound system is prone to being useless and skipping Cds.

2 Models UK spec and JDM import (Japanese domestic market)

Thank you all awsome help just what I needed. I do like BBKS what a machine! I'm going to do as much research as possible I will be getting one after Christmas is out if the way. The information you all have given me is brilliant, thank you. Will the car run like a bag of @*!# on normal unleaded or do it cause damage jimmy? My max price I think would be about 10k. Iv seen some on ebay with really low milage for that sort of money. Witch engine do you all think is most reliable? The HR I was wanting to get. Il have to do some research on the Nismo too as I'm not clued up on them. Also need to look in to the differences in the gt. The touring models too

Will the car run like a bag of @*!# on normal unleaded or do it cause damage jimmy?

There not supposed to be run on normal unleaded mate so it would just concern me, when I brought mine the bloke had heaps of receipts to show it had been run on V power so that reassured me lots :). I went to look at a 350z before i brought mine and i asked the guy what petrol it had been run on and without hesitating he said just normal so I said thanks and left.

About the engine to choose the DE is a great engine and its been flawless in mine so far, but as you have a 10k budget i will imagine you will be able to get a decent newer example for that :).

I'm not interested in the year mate to be honest. I know it had abit of a face lift back 2006 if I'm right? 2006 was the increase on road tax too?. It makes sense really which type of fuel you run on because they high performance cars they'll need more flammable fuel to run that big lump also get more performance. I'm from Wales so will have to travel fair distance to check the car over, most iv seen have been a good 200+ miles away. I might be lucky find a decent well looked after one close by (fingers crossed) with work it's hard to be travelling looking at cars. Funny enough there's one parked in car a pub carpark across the road from me but it's been parked there since the new owners took over the public good 5 years ago! Il have to ask is it for sale. Do you know much about the Nismo mate?

If you have a budget of 10k your defiantly in HR money. Will be a great choice trust me. Mine may be for sale soon so keep an eye out in for sale section.

Don't worry about the Nismo. It's just a body kit as far as I'm aware. The US got extra bits with the Nismo.

Do you know much about the Nismo mate?

Welcome aboard. :welcome:

The genuine Nismo 350Z was only available in Japan & America with AFAIK only ever one being imported into the UK, ...which was apparently done by a Nissan dealership.

Some more info on the 350's can be found here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nissan_350Z

You can of course pay extra if you like for a "so called" Nismo 350Z because of all the extra parts fitted (stickers, badges, skirts etc) but just be aware that it won't be a genuine Nismo.

If you are so inclined you could always just pay less for a decent 350Z GT and then add the extra mods you want afterwards which is what I'd do. :thumbs:

Do you know much about the Nismo mate?

Welcome aboard. :welcome:

The genuine Nismo 350Z was only available in Japan & America with AFAIK only ever one being imported into the UK, ...which was apparently done by a Nissan dealership.

Some more info on the 350's can be found here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nissan_350Z

You can of course pay extra if you like for a "so called" Nismo 350Z because of all the extra parts fitted (stickers, badges, skirts etc) but just be aware that it won't be a genuine Nismo.

If you are so inclined you could always just pay less for a decent 350Z GT and then add the extra mods you want afterwards which is what I'd do. :thumbs:

If Im right, nismo in the uk is just the body kit and nothing more. Mine was factory fitted from new but it could be retro fitted afterwards. Genuine Nismo kits don't come up often and will cost a lot so nowadays it would be cheaper I suspect to buy a Nismo kitted car than to buy kit at a later date. US Nismo cars have more mods but have you seen their rear bumper, absolutely horrific!

Will the car run like a bag of @*!# on normal unleaded or do it cause damage jimmy? My max price I think would be about 10k. Iv seen some on ebay with really low milage for that sort of money. Witch engine do you all think is most reliable? The HR I was wanting to get. Il have to do some research on the Nismo too as I'm not clued up on them. Also need to look in to the differences in the gt. The touring models too

No. it'll run O.K on normal unleaded but you'll lose 2 to 3% of your power. You'll also shorten the engine life especially on the DE engined cars. It's O.K to put the odd tenners worth in if you can't get 98 RON fuel as long as you keep the revs down to under 4,000. The DE revup engine introduced in 2006 has been known to have issues with oil consumption but in general all of the engines are pretty reliable The differences between the GT and the non GT are confined to the interior, electric heated leather seats and a "better" Bose stereo system. Non GT HR's are not too common and a much higher proportion of HR's have SatNavs which look nice but are quite low tech.

Welcome along and good luck with the search.

Pete