Emigrating

SteveM

yep at the Age of 41 I am emigrating to America (east bay San Francisco) at the beginning of February!!! one way flights booked and everything!! excited but bricking it at the same time

It’s a long story but my Father in law lives out there and has been sponsoring us for our immigration visa application for years now and it has finally come through! We went for our medicals and interview at the US consulate last month and now hove our visas in hand. My wife has handed her notice in at work (3 months notice) and we have started the long and hard job of clearing, selling and junking our lives so far.

We are taking very little with us, mainly clothes and anything really sentimentally valuable so all else has to go and its amazing how much stuff you can keep in a three bedroom house!!!! Its quite a task but we hope to be mostly clear by xmas so that we can have an easy time of it in January

So in the near future the Zed will have to go too…. Just sold my Bike and already sold the wifes car

Families have mixed feelings which is understandable but most of them are pleased for us even if they are finding it hard to outwardly show it…. We have known this was coming hence the long road trip around Europe this summer

We have a place to stay when we get out there (at the father in laws) but don’t have work lined up yet…..

• Like 8

I'd love to have the connections to be able to move out there so I'm envious! I wouldn't be keen on trying to sell all of my worldly possessions though, so best of luck with that!

If anyone needs me; I'll be circling like vultures do....

• Like 2

If you need any tax advise, let me know. I work in international tax and we mainly deal with US/UK moves (either direction for either nationality) as it's such a popular move. It's something which is a long term goal for me, totally jealous!

• Like 1

Good luck with the move :)

My parent emigrated to the UK some 25 years ago. Now me and the wife are thinking about leaving the UK for somewhere else, probably in the next 5 - 10 years or so.

It's a small world, and life is too short to waste been stuck in one place :thumbs:

• Like 1

will definitely need tax advice AliveBoy!!! we are planning on keeping our property here and renting it out so will have an income in the UK while being non dom... I think the Agents deal with paying the tax for us on that front but I am not sure and that's a conversation we need to have with them....

not sure we can have a large sum in our account here and jus transfer it out there with no issues? lots of questions on top of that but also need to sit with our account manager to sort out banking details.... loads to think about and do!!!

will definitely need tax advice AliveBoy!!! we are planning on keeping our property here and renting it out so will have an income in the UK while being non dom... I think the Agents deal with paying the tax for us on that front but I am not sure and that's a conversation we need to have with them....

not sure we can have a large sum in our account here and jus transfer it out there with no issues? lots of questions on top of that but also need to sit with our account manager to sort out banking details.... loads to think about and do!!!

I'm a tax preparer myself not a tax advisor, so I can put you in contact with a very good advisor at my work who is literally worth their weight in gold. I can give basic advise, but obviously tax planning is critical to get right. I can sort you out an informal chat with them on the phone if you want, so that they can go through the next steps of action to get everything tidied away in the most efficient way? It's all 100% above board, no grey area stuff like some people advise. Drop me a pm if you want to have a chat with the advisor :)

I'd love to be able to go and live in the USA. Sunshine, dry weather, cheap fuel, more guns than I'd have time to use and most of all SPACE. England is too cramped for me. Tiny roads and living ontop of eachother almost everywhere you go.

Good luck for the future mate, buy a Zed over there and stay with all of us on the forum, Don't join that horrid yanky version ;)

Just to let you know, I've informed Daily Mail about your new venture! Bloody immigrants! :lol: :lol:

Good luck with the move Steve! Been in Cali earlier this year, amazing place, specially the beaches. Not so keen on the American "culture" (guns, no NHS, so many homeless people), but hope it works out for you. V8 in USA is like 1.2 diesel in UK, so common, so yes, would be rude not to go for one, C7 Stingray? :)

• Like 1

Just to let you know, I've informed Daily Mail about your new venture! Bloody immigrants! :lol: :lol:

Good luck with the move Steve! Been in Cali earlier this year, amazing place, specially the beaches. Not so keen on the American "culture" (guns, no NHS, so many homeless people), but hope it works out for you. V8 in USA is like 1.2 diesel in UK, so common, so yes, would be rude not to go for one, C7 Stingray? :)

So that's why you came England no guns and NHS lol

Joke before you all start lol

Went to San Francisco this year and absolutely loved the place. Such vibrant city crammed with a young free-thinking crowd. Everyone seems to be super healthy too for some reason. Wish I could have an opportunity to go there to work.

Going to apply for a secondment through work very soon, 3 years on the East Coast between Boston and New York, would probably be lucky to get it though! Personally the wrong side of America but has excellent scope to travel.

• Like 1