Kebabs.

TT350

Where did you have your first?

What's your preference? Doner, chicken, mixed?

Salad, sauce, both or neither?

Pita or Naan?

Best kebab shop near you?

My first was at Lalas tandoori. Whitworth road. Rochdale.

I prefer proper grease drenched Doner.

I like salad and sauce separate.

On Naan.

Currently my best is Tony's in Bacup.

• Like 1

I've worked just off the curry mile in Manchester for 20years and have gone there almost every lunchtime!

I love them all.

Have to be on a naan.

EVERYTHING on.

For a chicken tikka.........Afghan Cuisine (they do it just right, big chunks and never dried out on the grill)

(their kobeda kebabs are great too, like a doner/seek hybrid)

Chicken/lamb shwarma.......Atlas Shwarma (cheap but fresh)

Seek kebabs.......Sajaan is my favourite at the moment (huge portions :teeth: )

I love chicken donner too, but damn that red food colouring is messy and almost semi permanent on your hands AND LIPS :lol:

I'm just a greedy bugger so I'll summarise with

I LOVE EM ALL........AND MY FAV PLACE IS THE ENTIRE CURRY MILE :thumbs:

Edited by HEADPHONES

What fast food doesn't? It's the only time a KFC is considered tasty :lol:

For me, it has to be a large mixed kebab, with lashings of chilli sauce, huge pot of salad with extra chillies (but hold the cucumber), and another tub full of roasted peppers, onions and mushrooms. Give me about 2-3 breads to fill up with it, and I'm a happy man.

First one, by all accounts, was freshers week at uni - it came in a polystyrene box and had salad in it that's all I can tell you based on what I discovered strewn across my student digs floor the following day.

Whilst skim reading the Metro this morning saw a news article about some kebab store where the kitchen staff didnt bother washing their hands after using the toilet and gave 120 customers e-coli...

Probably the most appropriately named business in hindsight :lol:

Donner meat is only ever edible when drunk.

I like my chicken kebabs with chilli sauce and either a pita or rosti bread. Can't remember my first one due to being drunk.... I'm guessing a donner :lol:

Do they taste better when drunk?!!! ;)

Only edible when drunk, that point where you think "yeah, mixed meat kebab on salad with garlic sauce and extra chillis" is a good idea, is about 20 mins after you should've stopped drinking :D

I eat them sober!! hahaha, guess that makes me an animal.

What fast food doesn't? It's the only time a KFC is considered tasty :lol:

For me, it has to be a large mixed kebab, with lashings of chilli sauce, huge pot of salad with extra chillies (but hold the cucumber), and another tub full of roasted peppers, onions and mushrooms. Give me about 2-3 breads to fill up with it, and I'm a happy man.

Again, I like a sober KFC too.

First one, by all accounts, was freshers week at uni - it came in a polystyrene box and had salad in it that's all I can tell you based on what I discovered strewn across my student digs floor the following day.

Whilst skim reading the Metro this morning saw a news article about some kebab store where the kitchen staff didnt bother washing their hands after using the toilet and gave 120 customers e-coli...

You probably would have been better off eating the polystyrene box! :teeth:

• Like 1

I've worked just off the curry mile in Manchester for 20years and have gone there almost every lunchtime!

I love them all.

Have to be on a naan.

EVERYTHING on.

For a chicken tikka.........Afghan Cuisine (they do it just right, big chunks and never dried out on the grill)

(their kobeda kebabs are great too, like a doner/seek hybrid)

Chicken/lamb shwarma.......Atlas Shwarma (cheap but fresh)

Seek kebabs.......Sajaan is my favourite at the moment (huge portions :teeth: )

I love chicken donner too, but damn that red food colouring is messy and almost semi permanent on your hands AND LIPS :lol:

I'm just a greedy bugger so I'll summarise with

I LOVE EM ALL........AND MY FAV PLACE IS THE ENTIRE CURRY MILE :thumbs:

Kobeda not Kofte, that's the boy

Amateurs, the lot of you. :lol:

The tikka, seekh and similar northern interpretations of kebabs are just indian food in a naan, they dont count :p

If youre only eating kebabs when drunk then you arent going to the right places - properly marinated meat, cooked over a charcoal grill cant be beaten and doner meat comes in many varieties as well, I know two guys who make their own and its delicious, one of the guys also does home made chilli sauce and hummus as well which is death defyingly good.

When I was a considerably younger man then Id agree, they were a last resort that usually gave you the morning after brown laser and I find continental kebabs are still rather hit and miss, but the game has moved on in the UK and Id take a decent mixed over just about anything else, Ive also bought tubs of doner meat from cash and carry and prepared at home with homemade salads and sauces, unbeatable. In my neck of the woods Small Fry in Chsterton do the best doners and Papillon in Haverhill the best mixed but if you havent had a kebab in Turkey you havent lived, they are astonishing but they dont understand chilli sauce :scare:

As for KFC ........ look up "mechanically separated meat", then tell me being able to recognise what part of an animal youre eating is a bad thing. Its good chicken too, if you get the right shop (and there isnt a kebabian in the immediate area) ;)

The tikka, seekh and similar northern interpretations of kebabs are just indian food in a naan, they dont count :p

Not entirely true. They're not Turkish kebabs but in Indian/Pakistani cuisine the meat in a seekh kebab is the kebab, not the whole thing on a naan

They're either long and sausage shaped or burger shaped, but in Asian houses that's what a kebab is. Usually served on a big platter along with other starters

But agreed with headphones- kobedas on wilmslow road are the business. There was a small place called al quds that closed down recently, their kobedas were epic. Many journeys down the M6 just for a bite to eat on the curry mile :lol:

Edited by LRF4N
  • Like 1

Not entirely true. They're not Turkish kebabs but in Indian/Pakistani cuisine the meat in a seekh kebab is the kebab, not the whole thing on a naan

They're either long and sausage shaped or burger shaped, but in Asian houses that's what a kebab is. Usually served on a big platter along with other starters

Its the same here, you can get a shami kebab for instance but not in a kebab house, you need an Indian restaurant for one of them. Likewise my mum used to tempt us with "kebabs" and then turn in with burnt vegetables and a bit of pork on a stick, NOT THE SAME.

For me a kebab is one or any combination of doner/gyro, shish, kofte, chicken, shawarma cooked on a stick, ideally over coals.

For me a kebab is one or any combination of doner/gyro, shish, kofte, chicken, shawarma cooked on a stick, ideally over coals.

For me, a kebab is a greasy stack of meat in a polystyrene box, designed to be wolfed down rather than savoured :lol:

• Like 1