A wee little road trip

Will370z

Right, now that the juvenile internet bullying things out the way:). I'll make a positive ( mine have been positive comments so far) contribution :)

If I were 'allowed' to come along, these are some of the suggestions on routes/slight detours that I would love to show you. Not knowing your route I've put together a couple of options :thumbs:

If you are going up the A82 and planning on a west coast route North, may I suggest hanging a right onto the A817, this is the old military road that the nuke convoys used to take for Faslane. It's fast, very fast, sweeping and suited to all types of performance cars, you will all do well to keep up with Adie in a GTR on this, wider than normal rural roads.

At the end turn right onto the A814 to Arrocher. A much tighter road, but stunning Loch Long views, you also get to see some interesting military infrastructure. Not suited to SMDs Jag, more the Wills Zed, the GTR will not struggle, however the Zed will keep apace with ease.

You then have two options at Arrocher:

1. Turn right on the A83 to Tarbert and pick the A82 up to continue north along Loch Lomond.

2. Alternatively, turn left onto the A83 and head for Inveraray, a good stop off, atop the 'Rest and Be Thankful', tea n bun wagon there, or onto the Loch Fyne Oyster Bar ( this is where Blair, Brown and Prescott had their carving up meeting), food is simply better than anywhere you'll have eaten seafood before.

Continue to Inveraray and again, you have two options, take the A819 back directly North, to the A85 ( two options there again) or go a bit further down to Lochgilphead. This route has open stretches from the 'Rest and Be Thankful' and beautiful winding, excellent surfaced roads, I've driven an M3 and an R8 on this route.

At Lochgilphead, turn right at the Crinan Canal, onto the A816, head North to Oban. I've got fantastic contacts there that will make your stay, if you did very interesting, bit of a punchy town so if you're a bit of girl, it pays not to start an argument :lol:

The A816 is challenging, for the most part it's very winding, suit the GTR and Auti (I presume) of the Jag, can be tiring in a manual. If you have the bottle, it's a tremendous road to hoon!

Once up in Oban, cross the Connel bridge onto the A828, again, twisty and in some places tight, not passing place tight but more suited to a hot hatch/Zed. Once across the Ballachulish Bridge, on the A82 again, there's the Corran ferry, take it, then head North again.

I need to get to work now, so can't post up any more at the minute, but suffice to say, have a great trip, enjoy the roads, my country and stay safe :thumbs:

• Like 3

Have a great time giys. Looks like the weather is behaving itself. Enjoy the midges. :lol:

Really sorry i will be missing you when you stop off here on the way home. I will be in Dorset sorting outmy next big gig.

The Rose and Crown will still be in the hands of Ben and Antonia and is still doing food if you fancy it. :)

Make sure you book though. :lol:

• Like 2

On the A816, there's a cracking hotel called the Loch Melfort hotel, spent a very tranquil few days there on R&R from my last 'Stan tour.

Got great gardens, SNT, but worth the admission, the food in the hotel is amazeballs ;)

Views right down the loch from every room, very romantic, all of the rooms have balconies :thumbs:

Agreed re. the old millitary road!

I occasionally drove that road when the construction traffic was able to use it. You had to drive at 30mph! Go too fast or too slow and people with guns would be very cross with you!!! Much more fun now it's open to the general public!

And the rest-and-be-thankful!! What a great road! My uncle was from Lochgilphead, had the pleasure of driving that road many times! Must do it again sometime soon..

Shame about all the cloak & dagger stuff going on, I'm sure plenty of other current and prospective owners would like to catch up with you all on your route, see your cars and make new acquaintances. I'm not in Scotland this week unfortunately, I'm sure loads of us up norf would've appreciated the invitation to meet up though...

• Like 1

Agreed re. the old millitary road!

I occasionally drove that road when the construction traffic was able to use it. You had to drive at 30mph! Go too fast or too slow and people with guns would be very cross with you!!! Much more fun now it's open to the general public!

And the rest-and-be-thankful!! What a great road! My uncle was from Lochgilphead, had the pleasure of driving that road many times! Must do it again sometime soon..

Shame about all the cloak & dagger stuff going on, I'm sure plenty of other current and prospective owners would like to catch up with you all on your route, see your cars and make new acquaintances. I'm not in Scotland this week unfortunately, I'm sure loads of us up norf would've appreciated the invitation to meet up though...

Yeah I get what your saying but this is not really a forum meet just a bunch of people who met up on here, there are more non Zeds than Zeds.

We have posted up threads before and got mixed responses but at the end of the day it's more to show people how much fun can be had, not to gloat or anything. Posting routes and plans on an open forum before we went could cause all sorts of problems unfortunately...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk