Petrol, again!

brillomaster

Whats going on with it this time?!? Seems to be on the down again, Sainsburys is currently selling both petrol and diesel for 105.9p, gone down 4 or 5p in the last month or so. Is it on its way below £1?

I put it down to all these people buying hybrid/electric/ otherwise fuel efficient cars, thus reducing demand and price... thanks Gangzoom!

As predicted by a member of OPEC forecasters over a decade ago:

"Thirty years from now there will be a huge amount of oil - and no buyers. Oil will be left in the ground. The Stone Age came to an end, not because we had a lack of stones, and the oil age will come to an end not because we have a lack of oil."

A lot of people think OPEC isn't cutting production to try and drive cheaper producers out of business....But if they believe their own prediction, all OPEC is doing is trying to sell as much of the oil as they can before demand tails off....Thrity years from 2000 is 2030, if 200 mile range EVs become cheaper and affordable to the masses by 2020, his timing isn't that far off!! - OK he was concerned about hydrogen fuel cell cars but the end result will be the same.

Sheikh Yamani predicts price crash as age of oil ends - Telegraph

Edited by gangzoom

Not necessarily a good thing, will mean lots of job losses if it stays this low (I.e. below the marginal cost of production for all but the Saudis).

To be quite honest, when a billion people are being overcharged for petrol, I'm not bothered about a few thousand peoples jobs :shrug:

It's not just about people, it's about the FTSE, bonds yields and all the industry that supports and is supported by the energy business. $40 oil will probably cause more problems than it solves in the short to medium term.

...and if the current oil producers do have to reduce production, longterm prices will go up, no demand = no mass extraction = extra cost to who ever is still using the stuff. But we're probable a decade away from that yet.

Edited by gangzoom

Not necessarily a good thing, will mean lots of job losses if it stays this low (I.e. below the marginal cost of production for all but the Saudis).

To be quite honest, when a billion people are being overcharged for petrol, I'm not bothered about a few thousand peoples jobs :shrug:

Yeah thanks for that!

Love low petrol prices but hate working for an oil company as of 1st of September I get no double time anymore and my time and a half is now Time and a third :( How do I pay for the mods now :( (better look for a 2nd job)

Yeah thanks for that!

:lol:

Anyone know why the price of petrol/diesel has levelled off?

OPEC wanted to drop production lat year to stabilise the price of oil (to you and me, it was about 128 a litre.) Russia said no, as they depended on high production because of the state of their economy. So over production, increased shale production in the USA, less demand from the USA, and now the China economy is hitting consumers there, so again, less demand.

Edited by Juggalo