Bit on the slow side 350z

jas-350

Hi guys

iv only just bought my 350z 2004,with fsh but I cant help but think its a bit sluggish, Its been fitted with a kn induction and a cat-back magnaflow exhaust . but for a car that should have about 278bp from new its not driving like it.

My mates vw scirocco auto that only has 200bhp keeps up, And from a standing start and given it a chance I think it would take me.

There is a good 1.5 sec difference in 0-60.

I going to take it to a rolling road to check it`s bhp but do old 350z lose that much power?

• Like 1

Older Zeds aren't really that quick compared to modern cars, they are heavy with a big lump of an engine in them. I've been surprised by some diesel saloons!

Having said that are you letting it rev out in each gear as it picks up towards the upper rev range?

The Z is quite difficult to get off the line quickly I find. Power is better as the engine gets past 4,500 rpm.

I am not a major traffic light racer, but every so often you just have to and would say my sucess for a really good standing still start is a bit hit and miss. (Maybe I need more practise!) :surrender:

350z is @*!# for 'drag' racing as standard and just for a bit of a thought a Lambo gallardo does a pass at pod in around 12.5 seconds a 200sx will do it in 14.5 seconds thats not a big difference

350z shine on a track get both to a track day and see how you get on

In theory you've got about a 1.2 seconds less 0-62 (5.9 on a DE v 7.1 in a scirocco - both alleged on autotrader). You've got an extra 76 bhp (assuming an 11 year old Zed hasn't lost any over the years, which it will) and you're also lugging circa 200kg more about. The mods won't count for anything unless it's been UpRev'd.

On top of that he's got a modern auto, which probably shifts faster than a manual Zed (anyone?) and may even get off the line better (inertia?), unless you're dumping the clutch with the TCS off and keep wheel spin to a minimum. Sounds about right to me :shrug:

If you could find somewhere legal and safe, you might have more luck from 60-122, than 0-62.

As has been said, there are a lot of more modern cars that will take you by suprise off the line.

Power/weight isn't great, and any modern auto will change gear in a fraction of the time you can so you'll be loosing there too.

Once your pressing on though, they do pick up well, are well balanced and selecting the right gears going in and out of corners is much more fun.

YOU MUST RUN YOUR CAR ON 97+! It's is designed for it, it says it in the manual and on the inside of the petrol cap. If you dont and you are doing anymore than poodleing around you will almost definitely be damaging your engine.

• Like 3

Plenty of cars that aren't even of a sporting nature will keep up with the Zed, but what you learn after driving one for a while (as many have already said) is that it's not really about that. It's just a hugely joyful car to drive. It has more than enough poke to put a smile on your face, if you're into drag racing or peeling your head off the back of your seat, buy something boosted. I also have a Mitsubishi Evo 2 - the power delivery is incomparable, the zed is very linear, but that's great for a daily driver.

• Like 1

There's only about 25bhp/ton in it between scirocco and Z.

A Z will always turn more heads and sounds infinitely better than a turbo 4 pot :)

You should hear my GTFour ;)

Yes hear a gt4 is good .... To look at a gt4 on the other hand ;)

...in the eye of the beholder mate ;)

• Like 1

Plenty of threads on here about different cars, VXR`s, RS`s, granny in her 1.0 Fiesta, etc. which I think can be summarised to - just about everything is faster than a Zed ..... :surrender:

:lol: at the granny in her 1.0 Fiesta.

It is true though.I remember when I first got my HR model, I was also a bit underwhelmed with the performance. I think in my case it was because most of my previous "quick" car experience was in turbo`d cars, where you`d floor it... nothing would happen, then you would get thrown back in your seat as if a truck had just piled into the back of you at 100mph. Whereas on the zed, the power delivery is completely different so it doesnt "feel" as quick.

However, once I got the hang of driving it and learnt which gears to be in, when to change etc it actually did feel a lot quicker and was much more satisfying to drive.

• Like 2