Always check the full tyre

Impressed

A load of questions

Jesus, that's possibly the single most patronising and ridiculous post I've ever seen here, and coming from a master of those types of post that's saying something.

Perhaps I should put up a load of questions about plumbing that you won't know the answers to? Or maybe someone who does accounting could quiz you on the minutiae of balance sheets? Or a hairdresser could interrogate you on the pros and cons of different hair dyes?

Shock news, this is the internet, and no-one knew you were High Grand Master of Engineering. Not everyone knows everything, so to try and show off your knowledge of stuff that 99% of people don't ever really need to know about is belittling in its highest form of knobbery.

• Like 2

We should have more quizzes, maybe multiple guess with radio buttons.

Winner gets a boner and to feel special. Loser gets belittled, perhaps in some sort of stocks with their pants down? :lol:

motorways tend to have no run off area.

Not like they're required to have a hard shoulder is it? Unlike a tree lined single carriageway road with passing places...

I'd take a blow out on a motorway over a "normal" road any time, unless there's an abundance of lorries as mentioned above.

oh and "impressed", congratulations, you have the biggest willy in terms of metal knowledge. Can we go back to our meaningless, non engineer lives now?

Option 1: Knowing from experience that cheap tyres have been unreliable in he past you put them on a RWD 3.6l V6 car. Erm ...

Option 2: Your wheel judders and you think its the brake likely to be the cause? Not the lump that has fallen out of your tyre? :lol:

Pretty sure it's 3.5 V6 ;)

No, 3.6, I've got a special return pipe valve booster from ebay for £1.99 which says it gives me another 100cc :p

• Like 1

It is possible that the tight spot on the disc was causing most of the braking force to be consentrated on this part of the tyre.

Am no engineer ( :blush: ) so was more than a little confused by the thinking behind this concept...!

David

Also no engineer so may be totally wrong and get belittled but...

wheel is bolted directly to disc therefore any warping of the disc which would cause uneven breaking pressure would always affect the same relative area of the tyre, in a similar way that a buckled wheel on a bicycle will rub the brake block at the same point on each rotation.

However, I would have thought this would cause a flat spot over the whole width of the tyre.

is it not simply possible that a spot of spirited driving leading to some drifting would cause this isolated and uneven wear?

Either way, most of us would be lucky to spot that issue on a routine check of tyres and pressures etc.

Sorry people, went out for a couple of beers and a game of darts last night with my mate the "Rocked Scientist". I had no chance his trajectory was spot on.

I re-read Wendys and The Toons comments with a few beers in me and felt like I was being spoken to like a child.

This is my excuse for coming over as a bit of a Knob.

For the record, I am a mechanical engineer (Heating and ventilation) and I have read all these subjects but only in magazines. With help from my great late father I have a good knowledge of all things mechanical.

My main point is valid. Once in a while you should check your tires all the way around. This was what I was trying to get across.

So sorry Wendy. "The Toon" still not sure about you as I grew up in Sunderland. :)

Anyway to the quiz.

OK. My answers. I may be off on some so please correct me.

1) Do you know why there are 2 hydraulic circuits on your cars brakes? There is a common point of failure but we can come to that later. Opps I may have given you a hint to question 3 here.

Its called redundancy. I have experienced this on my first car a 1300S Y reg astra. Master cylinder at fault. One circuit does front left and rear right, the other circuit does the opposite. The reason for this is that it is immediately obvious if one system fails but you can still bring the vehicle to a controlled stop.

KO 1

AZ 1

2) Why do you think the prop shaft on your 350Z is made of the exotic material Carbon Fibre? Hint, it’s not so it looks nice or is lighter or stronger.

I think the main reason is in the event of a rear end collision serious enough to shorten the car it makes it impossible for it to puncture and enter the driver compartment causing injury. Carbon fibre is strong in some respects but will disintegrate before piecing the drive tunnel.

KO 0

AZ 0

3) Why do they make it difficult by having your 2 headlamps on different fuses?

Redundancy again.

KO 1

AZ 1

4) Why do they continue making plain engine bearings out of lead when it is very soft?

I thing they are a few reasons. Any hard metallic particulate will be pressed into the lead and not cause further damage. If you lose oil pressure the bearing will melt and the knocking will alert you to a problem before the engine seizes, There is know reason to use a harder material as once started they don't contact the crankshaft due to oil pressure, that's why they say most engine wear takes place on starting.

KO 0

AZ 0.5

5) Why do they make brake rotors out of cast iron when heat treated steel is much harder and wear resistant?

Its economical to cast and machine. Also brakes operate at such temperatures that heat treated steel would soon lose its temper.

KO 0

AZ 0.5

6) Why do you think they go to the effort of forging RAYs when casting is a cheaper option?

Because forging makes the material stronger.

KO 0

AZ 2 you get 2 because you mentioned grain.

7) Why do they make it so the impact of a collision has to be such that there is a danger of the chassis buckling before the airbags deploy? Why not give you a nice pillow anyway?

The actual air bag deployment is very violent and is only deployed if the situation is life threatening.

KO 1 never considered that. Early air bags actually used gun powder. I am sure they will be a bit more sophisticated now but they will generate heat as it is an oxidizing reaction.

AZ 1

8) Why do you think it would be worse to have a blow out on a motorway at 70mph as opposed to on a back road at 60mph? I know which I would prefer.

All the vehicles on your side are traveling in the same direction so impacts are lighter even though the speed is higher. Any solid objects are protected to direct you away from them if you lose control. You are not going to hit someone traveling in the opposite direction (game over).

KO 1 more time

AZ 1 run off area

9) Can you remember what a distributor and points were for?

The points driven from a square cam on the camshaft (4 cylinder) provided the 12V timing pulse to the single coil at the correct time based on engine speed and vacuum. The distributor distributed the HV to the spark plugs in the correct order. In those days if you drove through a deep puddle you might be in trouble as a lot of the HV circuit was exposed and prone to shorting. On the 350Z as most modern cars the 12V timing pulse is provided by the ECU using much more information than the engine speed and crude mechanical vacuum advancement of old cars. The 12V is then converted to HV by the coil packs on top of each spark plug. Having the entire HV circuit protected from water etc they are much resistant

KO 0

AZ 1

10) Do you understand why in the USA the 350Z is considered the most dangerous car?

I could have worded this better. I think I followed a link on here that told me statistically it is the most dangerous car.

My belief is that parents buy them for the kids because its only a 3.5l car compared to their 5l car. However its a tuned 3.5L engine and it catches the kids out.

KO 0

AZ 1

Scores

KO 4

AZ 9

AZ You win a dubious part (OK fully worn) tyre, where do you want it delivered.

Apologies again.

Also no engineer so may be totally wrong and get belittled but...

wheel is bolted directly to disc therefore any warping of the disc which would cause uneven breaking pressure would always affect the same relative area of the tyre, in a similar way that a buckled wheel on a bicycle will rub the brake block at the same point on each rotation.

However, I would have thought this would cause a flat spot over the whole width of the tyre.

is it not simply possible that a spot of spirited driving leading to some drifting would cause this isolated and uneven wear?

Either way, most of us would be lucky to spot that issue on a routine check of tyres and pressures etc.

Yes this is what I was asking originally but it got lost in the abuse. Could it be related to prolonged brake judder, we could all learn from this if anyone can answer.

I will answer your question of a session of spirited driving....

I am embarrassed to say that when I had the rotors skimmed at 86000 miles they replaced the factory OEM pads. :scare:

Edited by Impressed

What a load of old TOSH. It was clearly pointed out the dangers that could occur but was obviously returned with sarcasm. My first reaction to brake judder would lead me to warped discs, so would inspect the discs and pads, prior to the tyres initially. If the tyres were running fine without the braking issues, then it would not lead me directly into the direction of the tyres.

350zedd - I am now just at Physio once more today and hopefully from there home free again.

Everyone else - Yes, I did go quiet, I decided not to ignite this thread further, so banned myself from the forum for a day.

I actually do not dare to make any further comments on this however and will be very careful what I write in future, it is all to easy to be mis-read and mis-understood.

• Like 2

We love you Wendy. I hope your experiences on this thread haven't frightened you away..

Whilst everyone is at everyone, what's with the multiple full stops after most of your posts? :lol:

Just my thing.One of (impressed) previous posts about where he got his education in mechanics reminded me of this.

Edited by Payco
  • Like 1

Just my thing.One of (impressed) previous posts about where he got his education in mechanics reminded me of this.

Your thing is terrible punctuation?

#teamtarmac

• Like 1

We love you Wendy. I hope your experiences on this thread haven't frightened you away..

Whilst everyone is at everyone, what's with the multiple full stops after most of your posts? :lol:

Lifted from Wikipedia...

Ellipsis (plural ellipses; from the Ancient Greek: ἔλλειψις, élleipsis, "omission" or "falling short") is a series of dots that usually indicates an intentional omission of a word, sentence, or whole section from a text without altering its original meaning.[1] Depending on their context and placement in a sentence, ellipses can also indicate an unfinished thought, a leading statement, a slight pause, a mysterious, echoing voice, or a nervous or awkward silence. Aposiopesis is the use of an ellipsis to trail off into silence—for example: "But I thought he was . . ." When placed at the beginning or end of a sentence, the ellipsis can also inspire a feeling of melancholy or longing.