The Zed Shed Crew does Nurburgring

Keyser

Good morning for the final time on the Birthday bash.

The sun seems to be trying to make an appearance again as we load the cars and get ready for our 400 mile homeward trip.

What will make this more fun is we have 2 Zeds injured or out :scare:

As you know already Andy will be nursing an iffy clutch but Bennet has a bigger problem. Yes on that chase for the sub 8 minutes (8:05 his best so far) he did the "just one more lap" so now he has a couple of scratches but most annoying a buckled front wheel :scare:

Phone calls to the local Nissan dealer will be commencing shortly.

Of course in my excitement I forgot to post my own slight mishap at the track......

The damage is not to severe - yes I clipped a curb, in the car park :doh:

Scratched the wrap on the underside of the drivers side skirt (I did call my self some choice names)

Still everyone seems in good spirits as we eat our European breakfast and plan our route back trying to take in a stop in Brussels (tobacco, alcohol and chocolate run) while finding a way of doing it that allows for as little gear changing as possible to give Andy a fighting chance.

O NO tragedy has struck I just heard "O no I've eaten all the Nutella" guess who :lol:

I may not be able update again before tomorrow so be safe all.

Our Journey Begins!!!!!!

Keyser and The Zed Shed Crew.

Edited by Keyser
  • Like 5

Jesus! Went for a nice off road ride did we?

It's the greatest place in the world for the buzz, the excitement and the nerves.

Glad you are enjoying it!

My favourite corner last year was miss-hit-miss, because when you get it 100%, you are absolutely flying!!

The zed shed crew have abandoned me to fend for myself😜!

I maybe lucky and have a wheel that will fit and make it home.

I hope Andy manages to nurse his clutch back to Bournemouth.

It was a fun weekend for everyone and despite the little kiss I got from a novice British driver who ran me out of road it was one of my best Ring weekends. All I can say is that my zed is dailed in and I can go faster. The second thing is Toyo R888 suffer badly with overheating on the Ring and I'll be going for Dunlop dirrezza next time.

• Like 6

Back in England! Just have to drive home now for another 3+ hours!

@ Luke; I'd never used R888 on my own car at the Ring and was looking forwards to it. They are brilliant but just for 1/2 a lap and if you get the pressure right and spare them it last a lap but you struggle to do back to back Laos. In the end I got a stable working hot pressure and modified my driving accordingly.

They are just to prone/susceptible to overheating on a long track like the ring. I spoke to several people including a Belgian mate who has a regular 07:20- 07:40 BTG lap time and they all concur that R888 does not suit hravy cars at the ring. Dunlop dirrezza are the mutts nuts. Even federal Fz 201 fair better.

After 23 laps I've got just 50% life left. I was told the. R888 have a normal Performance tyre carcass with race compound threads will the dirrezzas or similar Motorsport tyres have both carcass and compound designed for racing. The R888 sidewall is as a result softer hence the issues with heating up.

• Like 2

Quick update,

As Bennet has said we left him to fend for himself :lol:

He had several options to get back and had a later crossing booked than us and we were not sure how well Andy was going to get on with the clutch.

Well 4 left the ring and kudos to Andy for getting all the way back using only 3 gears and half a clutch - the other Zeds kept him safely tucked between them and apart from a somewhat shaken Mrs Andy James he got her all the way home :thumbs:

Absolutely awesome weekend was had by all and even with a few little hiccups we all still had an absolute blast.

Well up for something similar again Mrs Keyser had a great time too and enjoyed her drive around some of the amazing roads near the ring.

1008.8 miles clocked up and apart from the 6 in a traffic jam I thoroughly enjoyed every one of them.

Pictures, videos and stuff to follow very soon.

Keyser and the Zed Shed Crew.

• Like 5

Quick update,

As Bennet has said we left him to fend for himself :lol:

He had several options to get back and had a later crossing booked than us and we were not sure how well Andy was going to get on with the clutch.

Well 4 left the ring and kudos to Andy for getting all the way back using only 3 gears and half a clutch - the other Zeds kept him safely tucked between them and apart from a somewhat shaken Mrs Andy James he got her all the way home :thumbs:

Absolutely awesome weekend was had by all and even with a few little hiccups we all still had an absolute blast.

Well up for something similar again Mrs Keyser had a great time too and enjoyed her drive around some of the amazing roads near the ring.

1008.8 miles clocked up and apart from the 6 in a traffic jam I thoroughly enjoyed every one of them.

Pictures, videos and stuff to follow very soon.

Keyser and the Zed Shed Crew.

Welcome back Zed shredders! Sounds like you had a blast and look forward to hearing the war stories.... I mean ring stories :lol:

Book me in for next year, I will be there for sure!

Back in England! Just have to drive home now for another 3+ hours!

@ Luke; I'd never used R888 on my own car at the Ring and was looking forwards to it. They are brilliant but just for 1/2 a lap and if you get the pressure right and spare them it last a lap but you struggle to do back to back Laos. In the end I got a stable working hot pressure and modified my driving accordingly.

They are just to prone/susceptible to overheating on a long track like the ring. I spoke to several people including a Belgian mate who has a regular 07:20- 07:40 BTG lap time and they all concur that R888 does not suit hravy cars at the ring. Dunlop dirrezza are the mutts nuts. Even federal Fz 201 fair better.

After 23 laps I've got just 50% life left. I was told the. R888 have a normal Performance tyre carcass with race compound threads will the dirrezzas or similar Motorsport tyres have both carcass and compound designed for racing. The R888 sidewall is as a result softer hence the issues with heating up.

What compound were you running Bennett?

GG-medium hard.

32-33psi stabilised hot pressure worked best but it took about 4 laps for the pressure to stabilise but when they cooled down you had to start over again or end up with uneven pressure and grip even if you got enough heat into them. I regret it inflating them with nitrogen to start with as they stabilised very quickly with MPS2s