Think of getting a Zed but of the German variety

hensh65

Ohh the A5 is for the off.. I didn't see that coming mate.

Z4s are good all round.

Off the top of my head though are you getting one of the 3.0s with the vanos or turbo style engine?

If the vanos seals go it can be a reasonably expensive job. Don't even think of approaching a dealer for that work.

Other than that they are fairly reasonable to run from what I know with experience around bmw zed cars.

Don't think you get a 3.0 turbo z4? even the Z4m is a 3.2 na.

The one I am looking at has a the 3.0si engine which replaced the original 3.0i engine. Done a quick search online and couldn't really find any common faults with them. Only thing people said was that the rear springs are prone to snapping. Cheap fix compared with a Zed banana arm :lol:

Yeah Kris i'm pretty sure believe it or not the new shape z4 has the same engine from the e90 335i.

a twin turbo z4... now theres something for some good fun and quick tuning.

I'm with Brillo ,

I would buy a shed and get your monthly out goings as low as possible , put any money have as a bigger deposit . See where you're at when you've bought your place and go from there . ...... £360 a month on just the car !..... Man that's more than my mortage !

That won't rent a 1 bed flat down here - wish my payments were this side of £1000 let alone £500 - lucky sod :)

Edited by Keyser
  • Like 2

I thought thr A5 WAS the solution to cutting costs and the reason for getting shot of the Zed?! Kris...what you playing at haha. Tbh, if your looking for a mortgage don't finance anything, buy a crapper at a couple of grand or if it must be finance make sure its like 4-5K or something, something wee... get your house then get rid of the crapper and buy the car. I'm paying a credit card and should be not thinking of changing the Z... let alone to something with a 4.2 in it... Its hard mate but I would just find something that'll be a keeper until the mortgage is through

It's not often amt talks sense- but he's talking sense kris. Get something cheaper. There's more important things than cars

I spent around 12k when I bought my zed. No wife, no kids, no house. Then the skyline and the beamer were both around 3.5k

Appreciate the advice lads,

The thing is when I got the A5 it was a saving from the Zed. I was spending stupid money modifying the car on top of using it as a daily. How much i've save myself,,, who knows :lol:

I am too young to be making sensible decisions!

I'm telling you now, from personal experience, if you buy another decent car before you buy the house you're going to regret doing so for the rest of your life.

Go and pick something fun but cheap, like an MX5 or whatever. Go enjoy something you've not had yet, that you can buy for cash, and sell on after you move for what you paid for it. You may not love it, but it'll be both more fun than a proper shed or spending more on the mortgage than you actually need to.

• Like 1

I'm with Brillo ,

I would buy a shed and get your monthly out goings as low as possible , put any money have as a bigger deposit . See where you're at when you've bought your place and go from there . ...... £360 a month on just the car !..... Man that's more than my mortage !

That won't rent a 1 bed flat down here - wish my payments were this side of £1000 let alone £500 - lucky sod :)

I was going to say, what have you bought that has a mortgage like that?!

I'm with Brillo ,

I was going to say, what have you bought that has a mortgage like that?!

As ekon said , I was in the same sort of position quite a few years ago .... I was sat down by my dad and told to get rid of everything that cost me money and to put it into a house ..... Fortunately I listened and a few years later have a nice house( well I like it anyway ) and small mortage . Yes I had to be a with out a nice car for a while but it does pay off doing it this way .

My parents have just finished paying their mortgage, that was £250 a month but they took that out 25 years ago - £360 a month makes for a total borrow of £110kish which is astonishingly low. Then again I do live in London where pricing is not quite so fair!

Ya prices in London are stupid .... But I guess you can earn more in London to compensate . I have a 90k mortage on a 350k property , but my savings are offset against the mortage which gives me a free loan affectively from the bank . I know I am very fortunate though , and I don't take it for granted . Money / life / buisness can change in the blink of an eye .

Not sure about the London salary offsetting cost of housing, a 1 bed flat near me is £350k, the 2 bed terraced house next door with no front garden, no drive, and a patio out back went for £785k! We rent btw and bought a place in a different part of london we rent out (which we just sold and will be re-purchasing next year). Pretty sure average salary in london is only about 10-20% higher than other parts of the UK but housing is something like 100-200% higher? Thats without my return ticket to Waterloo each day of £14 for a 17 minute train journey :lol:

My brother used to stay in Surrey, he then moved into a beautiful flat at Rotherhithe, with balcony hanging over the thames. The value of the property is eye-watering down there.

London prices are crazy, however its all about supply and demand.

Ya it is just crazy in London , our family rented a nice little terrace house in twickenham and that was 1.3 million to buy !!!!!!

Our place is a 3 bed , study ,detached bungalow with parking for 5 cars . We paid 265k about 3 years ago . Bargain looking back .

• Like 1

Yep, on the one hand its great there are so many employment opportunities in London but on the other it means ultimately if I want a driveway and garage and 4 bedrooms then I have to commit to a 3 hour daily commute with a £7k annual travel bill :surrender: living way out somewhere away from friends and family. At the moment with Alfie at 3 1/2 years old and recently in a new little gym class when he was introduced to the other kids and asked who his best friend was and he said 'daddy' - family time is a more valuable commodity than money!

• Like 1

If your after a decent mortgage rate/deposit forget the car and just focus on saving, in the long run it works out so much better. As others have suggested get a decent mortgage rate, and it can also act like a cheap loan for the future.

Also if your trying to save money, don't buy a BMW, selling my old 335i was probably the best financial decision I've made regarding cars ever :lol:.

• Like 1

At the moment with Alfie at 3 1/2 years old and recently in a new little gym class when he was introduced to the other kids and asked who his best friend was and he said 'daddy' - family time is a more valuable commodity than money!

That's quality mate. It's funny how kids can please us so easily

Goes back to what I said earlier, more important things in life than nice cars

• Like 2

I am lucky as we have the deposit that will be at least 20% of the value we're looking to mortgage, the reason I am not moving out right now as we have booked the wedding for Nov next year and will have that completely paid off by the end of this year. This isn't a massive strain as we had already paid most of it.

We have a mini that was bought on cash so we don't owe anything on it and this will soon become my daily as the misses walks to work as its round the corner. (plan to stay local when we buy)

So I am looking for a nice car for running around in that will be nice as well as fast but doesn't have the big monthly bill.

The BMW idea has been hammered on here, that was £10K

I've seen a nice WRX hatch, 09plate with 39K miles for £7.5K. Its not the STI which isn't great but it also means it wont have the STI running and maintenance costs.