Think of getting a Zed but of the German variety

hensh65

It's that time of the year again when I get itchy feet.

Got rid of my 350z at the end of September last year and 8 months later I want shot of my German whip. The main reason for getting rid of it is I am looking to get a mortgage with the misses and want to cut down my monthly outgoings. The A5 is currently costing me £360 a month without running costs.

I have been looking at cars around the 7 - 11K mark but nothing has really stuck out. I wen't and had a look at the Subaru WRX S hatchback but I just don't think I could tell anyone I owned an impreza :lol:

I have noticed a lot of garages have offered me completey different prices for my car as PX, I am going to have to carry over some negative equity but some of the garages prices have been obscene.

I am going to test drive a Z4 3.0si sport coupe tomorrow after work, they look good value for money, cheapish to run and not the worst car to look at.

Any thoughts on the Z4 or any other suggestions?

Mileage must be less than 70K

nothing too high maintenance like m5 etc (would love to)

If I hadn't spent so much on my zed the 350z would have been a contender, but doubt I could go buy a standard zed for more than I sold my old zed.

• Like 1

I thought your A5 was a diesel? and you want to switch to a petrol for lower running costs? i'm confused...

if you want to save money do it properly and buy a shed - E46 330d should fit that criteria nicely.

It is a diesel but the Z4 is coming in at around £120 a month cheaper before fill up. Plus we have a second car now so I have cut a bit of miles off. The plan will eventually be that the misses uses my car during the week and I will drive the "cough" mini to work. So the car will be used even less come next year.

Notice I didn't mention anything about mpg :lol: let the man maths begin :)

£360 a month is £4,320 a year - what makes up that figure? if you want cheap running costs you need to minimise depreciation, minimise servicing costs and cost of consumables like brakes and tyres... I cant see a Z4 being particularly cheaper...

in the words of schoolteachers everywhere, show your working!

£360 a month is £4,320 a year - what makes up that figure? if you want cheap running costs you need to minimise depreciation, minimise servicing costs and cost of consumables like brakes and tyres... I cant see a Z4 being particularly cheaper...

in the words of schoolteachers everywhere, show your working!

I didn't say I want cheap running costs.....

I said it costs £360 a month without running costs.

If I buy an M5 that costs me £250 a month without running costs and leave it on the drive there is a saving.

I run a zed as daily for 2 years, £80 of super per week, that is not my issue. My issue I want to cut down the monthly finance and insurance. The BMW is £200 per year cheaper.

Simples

I'm with Brillo ,

I would buy a shed and get your monthly out goings as low as possible , put any money have as a bigger deposit . See where you're at when you've bought your place and go from there . ...... £360 a month on just the car !..... Man that's more than my mortage !

I'm with Brillo ,

I would buy a shed and get your monthly out goings as low as possible , put any money have as a bigger deposit . See where you're at when you've bought your place and go from there . ...... £360 a month on just the car !..... Man that's more than my mortage !

I can't drive a shed :lol: the idea sound good but I couldn't do it.

Deposit is sorted, but as you just said, £360 for a car that doesn't exactly excite me. It needs to go.

Ohh the A5 is for the off.. I didn't see that coming mate.

Z4s are good all round.

Off the top of my head though are you getting one of the 3.0s with the vanos or turbo style engine?

If the vanos seals go it can be a reasonably expensive job. Don't even think of approaching a dealer for that work.

Other than that they are fairly reasonable to run from what I know with experience around bmw zed cars.

Ohh the A5 is for the off.. I didn't see that coming mate.

Z4s are good all round.

Off the top of my head though are you getting one of the 3.0s with the vanos or turbo style engine?

If the vanos seals go it can be a reasonably expensive job. Don't even think of approaching a dealer for that work.

Other than that they are fairly reasonable to run from what I know with experience around bmw zed cars.

Don't think you get a 3.0 turbo z4? even the Z4m is a 3.2 na.

The one I am looking at has a the 3.0si engine which replaced the original 3.0i engine. Done a quick search online and couldn't really find any common faults with them. Only thing people said was that the rear springs are prone to snapping. Cheap fix compared with a Zed banana arm :lol:

Guys don't try and make sense to hensh's logic. He bought the A5 to save money but spent a lot more on the price he sold his zed and then spent more money modding the audi :lol:

• Like 2

I would much rather have an Impreza (has to be the STi though, the WRX really isn't that interesting) than a Z4 3L. Sod the badge, it's a hugely fun car that I think looks great and won't open you up to nasty big bills like the BMW can.

However, everyone is right, if you're after a mortgage then you HAVE to cut down. Why do you think I'm running an 11 year old barge instead of the 911?! Get the mortgage, get the house, then get the car. Much easier to get a good car loan with a big mortgage than a good mortgage with a big car loan*. ;)

*Big being relative, of course.

• Like 2

I can't live with the diesel barge anymore :lol: it needs to go. Going really fast in a straight line and having to change gear every 2 seconds has got boring :lol:

Irfan ,,,,, LOL

Dan - The cheapest STI (Hatch) up here is £13K so I am really going to end up paying the same but with a bigger fuel bill and insurance. I don't think I could drive the saloon STI, I would look too much like a ned(Chav)

I just don't think I could get a shed, your 11 year old barge is still a nice car that can shift. I had a look at them actually but the miles are pretty high for the money I am looking to spend :yuck:

Miles are irrelevant, buy on condition. Same applies to the Z4, I'd get a 100k miler in good nick with history over a 70k one that was a bit tatty.

Can you not travel a bit? I'm sure I've seen STi hatches in your budget further south.

• Like 1

I would love a z4 coupe

Dare I say it ....... I think they are a better looker than the 350/370

But dude , you really need to slap yourself round the face . Get rid of any monthly dept you have .... Make is as easy as possible to get your mortgage , once your in your place you will find many things to spend your money on ( and more than likely get more enjoyment out of this than a car )

• Like 2

Bear in mind that any loans outstanding go against ur mortgage mate. I can fill you in the next time I see you :thumbs:

Don't buy the beemer though, you'll regret it!

You're right mate but the loan for my A5 will be cleared first them a new loan for a lesser amount. So it should line me up better.

Miles are irrelevant, buy on condition. Same applies to the Z4, I'd get a 100k miler in good nick with history over a 70k one that was a bit tatty.

Can you not travel a bit? I'm sure I've seen STi hatches in your budget further south.

I would Dan but i think its harder when you add part ex into the mix. I had it at 100 miles from me and couldnt see any. Any nice ones down your way?

I had a Z4 roadster before the 350Z and got bored after a while, it just didn't have that fun factor the 350Z has.

They are pretty reliable and return good mpg compared to the 350. I recently had a brand new sdrive18i 8 speed auto for a week and it's put me of the new shape z4 also, again just not that fun or involving. Very capable and quick car though.

I sold up and we drove a mk1 mr2 and Tigra CC when buying our first house. Cars come and go but having that extra to get the house we wanted was well worth it.

Edited by un1eash

I would love a z4 coupe

Dare I say it ....... I think they are a better looker than the 350/370

But dude , you really need to slap yourself round the face . Get rid of any monthly dept you have .... Make is as easy as possible to get your mortgage , once your in your place you will find many things to spend your money on ( and more than likely get more enjoyment out of this than a car )

I think a nice car would make me happier than a nice kitchen :lol:

• Like 2