Think of getting a Zed but of the German variety

hensh65

I've seen a nice WRX hatch, 09plate with 39K miles for £7.5K. Its not the STI which isn't great but it also means it wont have the STI running and maintenance costs.

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

You will, trust me. You might save 2mpg, but other than that there'll be no difference. Which is why you should get the STi! :D

• Like 2

Old shape bmw 320d coupe m sport

I've seen a nice WRX hatch, 09plate with 39K miles for £7.5K. Its not the STI which isn't great but it also means it wont have the STI running and maintenance costs.

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

You will, trust me. You might save 2mpg, but other than that there'll be no difference. Which is why you should get the STi! :D

I just need to find one in my price range :lol:

Listen, my 118d is as comfy as hell and as fast as I need for pottering up and down the motorway lol! 50mpg no matter how its driven and still rwd with enough power to have some fun :)

• Like 1

Man I'm in the same boat at the minute!

Currently renting with my girlfriend and while we can afford to live comfortably while driving/modifying our cars we both have zero savings.

Probaly got about 15 grand worth of stuff in cars and disposable items but I just can't bring myself to let the 350Z go. I really need to consider it if I ever want to start saving for a house because the modding bug eats all my spare ££££££.

• Like 1

I managed to cut the modding bug but just replaced it with a more expensive car :lol:

So if I understand correctly the sequence of events:

Sell 350Z to save money -> Buy A5 diesel, cheaper on fuel but been newer, I suspect more expensive on depreciation-> Now sell A5 to save money -> Considering a Subaru STI

Only in the magical world of man maths could a Subaru Impreza STI be considered as a 'saving money' option, when your currently driving a diesel motorway barge :)

Instead of worrying about what you can afford to drive now, try planning what you WANT to own/drive in 3-4-5 years time?? I know lots of people think am mad because I swapped my old BMW 335i, but by saving some money now in 18 months time I'll be able to get-in to something I really want without having to touch our long term savings or delaying our mortgage payback plan.

The reason I had no problems with spending ££££ on the 335i before, was because I couldn't see my self been able to afford to buy/run the next class of car ever (F10 M5), but as soon as I worked out there was a significantly better alternative I sat down and did the man-maths, and it quickly became clear the 335i had to go....Once that decision was made the 335i went within 2 weeks. If you've consciously made the decision to save money, than do it properly and sell/get-rid of what you don't need, because otherwise everyday you delay, your delaying your saving plan.

A few years of driving something slower/cheaper is no real harsh ship, not when it'll enable me to save up an additional £20k+, which is the difference needed to get me from a 330 BHP Tesla into the 691 BHP version :)

Edited by gangzoom
  • Like 4

I get 47 MPG out of my E90 330d on the way to work, which is 18 miles from where I live. I don't think it's that bad at all. What are getting out of your A5 Hensh?

My commute is in peak times so i rarely see over 40mpg (car has a map)

• Like 1

seems to me the sensible option is to sell the A5, pay off the debt and then buy a cheaper car with no debt. doesn't matter so much what the running costs are as long as you can buy it outright and put the monthly savings towards a mortgage.

E46 330d is still my option - or if you're bored with diesel, a 330ci. 230bhp is plenty to be getting on with, pick up a nice one for £3k or so. but really, plenty of interesting options out there that you should be able to buy out right, run for a year and then sell on again and lose very little in depreciation.

Edited by brillomaster

We did the same, always had newer cars on loans but when looking at house buying they went. I ran a 98 focus for 12 months and the missus had a primera :)

Once we had established ourselves in the new house and refurbished what we needed to our policy on cars changed a little.

I now buy outright the cars I lusted after 10 years ago rather than financing or getting loans. The missus does the same.

I may one day go out and buy a newer car again but I'm quite enjoying the debt free life.

• Like 2

I've always bought cars outright - never had a loan. Sure my machinery hasn't been the latest and greatest cars, but the zed was plenty nice, and only depreciated £1400 in the 3 years I had it, so £460 a year. And have also been a happy mortgage payer for the last 4 years now, which is working out considerably cheaper than renting was! Plus, in that 4 years the value of our flat has gone up, and interest rates have gone down, so win win.

might consider getting a loan for a car now, but only now I know that mortgage is secured and making payments is comfortable. but then again, if I can continue to buy outright that's great, and can then move onto a bigger house and bigger mortgage.

• Like 3

Agree with the e46 for a nice car for not a lot. Got my 325ci m sport for £3600 last November

Depends what you want from your car. I wanted a comfy cruiser that looked decent without breaking the bank. Does that fine for me

How about a 330 clubsport? That's what I was leaning towards for around the same price and probably less depreciation.

Only thing that stopped me was I just wrote my skyline off and the insurance company would've seen me coming at renewal time :lol:

As others have said its worth taking the hit now car wise for a better outlook in the years to come.

Why not buy something like a 330 club sport..

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201505023124475/sort/default/onesearchad/used%2Cnearlynew%2Cnew/price-to/5000/page/1/usedcars/price-from/3500/radius/1501/keywords/Club%20sport/channel/cars/make/bmw/postcode/ab157uh/model/3_series?logcode=p

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201505183573771/sort/pricedesc/model/3_series/price-from/3500/colour/blue/radius/1501/keywords/330ci%20sport/postcode/ab157uh/onesearchad/used%2Cnearlynew%2Cnew/make/bmw/page/2/usedcars/channel/cars?logcode=p

Interesting enough all rounder & holding their value at that price point. Sell up in a few years for near enough the same money when your in a position to buy something nicer.

As much as I love my cars I have & would always make the sacrifice when needed & so far it's worked out very well.

Edited by Bems

How about a 330 clubsport? That's what I was leaning towards for around the same price and probably less depreciation.

Only thing that stopped me was I just wrote my skyline off and the insurance company would've seen me coming at renewal time :lol:

Well that was freaky. I was busy typing the above when you posted. Good shout :thumbs: