When are you too old for a nice car?

twobears

Your never to old! I only sold my Skyline two years ago at 60, and that was only because I have retired and have to watch the pennies a bit more, never managed to amass the fortune that I hoped for when I was younger, bloody recessions!

Anyway as long as you can physically get in and out without looking like a complete old fart ( I was starting to get that way with my Supra due to arthritis) these days I have realised that I might as well try and make the most of my pleasures even I end up in debit as you don't know just how much more of life you will get.

• Like 3

TVR Cerbera was my dream car. There was a 5.0 one tgat used to drive past tge school at home time. The noise.

Off topic but yeah the noise they make is fantastic ~ I could hear my old man driving home in his from probably a mile away. :surrender::lol::teeth:

TVR Cerbera was my dream car. There was a 5.0 one tgat used to drive past tge school at home time. The noise.

Off topic but yeah the noise they make is fantastic ~ I could hear my old man driving home in his from probably a mile away. :surrender::lol::teeth:

Rover V8

Your never to old! I only sold my Skyline two years ago at 60, and that was only because I have retired and have to watch the pennies a bit more, never managed to amass the fortune that I hoped for when I was younger, bloody recessions!

Anyway as long as you can physically get in and out without looking like a complete old fart ( I was starting to get that way with my Supra due to arthritis) these days I have realised that I might as well try and make the most of my pleasures even I end up in debit as you don't know just how much more of life you will get.

I'm still waiting for my lottery win too :lol: I totally agree with you about making life as pleasurable as possible though because of not knowing what is around the corner. When you are young you think you are invincible but that feeling wears off in later life :blush:

Also, I have to kinda roll out of the Z when I'm getting out. Sometimes end up on all fours in tesco car park.

I'm 33.

Ha ha, I will pick you up if I see you hitting the tarmac face first in my local Tesco :thumbs::lol: :lol: :lol:

I'd go with what makes you happy. Ive recently seen a large amount of mature ladies in flash motors, be different get the Alfa and don't fall into the Nissan Micra / Hyundai i10 trap.

Thanks Mike :) I might have to downsize/downpower (if there is such a word?) at some point but I don't want that point to be now. I feel like one last flourish if I can manage it :teeth:

• Like 1

Rover V8

It actually wasn't in the Cerberas from what I've read.

Since then, almost every aspect of the car has been improved. Originally, the Cerbera was designed to be powered by the TVR Power Rover based engines but it was decided that TVR’s own engine, the Speed Eight, would be a more suitable power plant. The Cerbera was the first roadgoing TVR to feature the Speed Eight engine.

This engine is quite remarkable in design in that it owes more to the current trend in racing engines than to anything that has ever been seen before in a road car. In other words, instead of basing a race engine on an existing road engine, TVR have developed an engine for the Cerbera out of a race engine. The result is that the Speed Eight has many features in it which would be more commonly found on an F1 engine. Examples of these are its extremely sophisticated water circulation system, its lubrication system which delivers oil at high pressure to the engine and at low pressure to the crankshaft and a block so rigid that it can be used as a stressed member. An all alloy engine with its eight cylinders arranged in a 75 degree Vee, the Speed Eight engine has more torque in its various specifications than any other normally aspirated petrol engine of equivalent size and weight.

Prior to the Cerbera, TVR had purchased V8 engines from Rover and then tuned them for their own use. When Rover was purchased by BMW, Peter Wheeler did not want to risk problems should the Germans decide to stop manufacturing the engine. In response, he engaged the services of race engineer Al Melling to design a V8 engine that TVR could manufacture in-house and even potentially offer for sale to other car-makers. In an interview for the television programme Top Gear, Wheeler explained "Basically, we designed the engine as a race engine. It was my idea at the time that if we wanted to expand, we ought to make something that we could sell to other people. We've ended up with a 75-degree V8 with a flat-plane crank. The bottom-half of the engine to the heads is exactly as you would see in current Formula One engines."

Sorry for going off topic Annie. :wave:

When you are young you think you are invincible but that feeling wears off in later life :blush:

Well the only time I am going to worry about not being invincible is when that guy wearing the black cloak and has that long handled scythe in his hand is standing over me and hey I will not even be that bothered then

• Like 1

I'm 31, with a busted knee and too tall for my own good. None of that's gonna make me give up low-slung sports cars, despite how ridiculous I look getting in / out of it because I enjoy them. Do what's right for you and sod what anybody else thinks about your car choices.

• Like 3

Annie, go and try one, get a feel for it. Make sure the Alfa dealer knows you're serious about the car. Just tell them "look, this is going to be a daily driver for me, so it's got to work. I've got to know I can live with it day in / day out.....". Get them to organised a 2-3 day test period for you and let them know if it works, you will be buying the car from them. Then drive it, drive it, drive it and really get a feel for it. If you're spending a lot of money. It's the least they owe you.

That's the best way for you to know, then make your decision.

Alternatively you can just go and buy it, because that's what you want to do and bloody should do :thumbs::lol::D

• Like 1

In answer to your original question: One word: Never.

Just buy/lease and enjoy. :teeth:

Alex. :)

I beg to differ Alex. It's when you forget where you parked it on a regular basis and when you are not sure if the heated seat is on or you've had a minor mishap. Then you are too old.

• Like 2

Now me, l absolutely love those lights :teeth: I saw my first one on the road last week in Surrey and I thought it looked brilliant :) I will take your advice Bockaaarck and ask for a proper test over a few days if I do manage to afford one next year. I am slightly worried about the position of the engine as I've never driven a mid engine car and am not sure if I will like it or not or whether I won't even notice it and, as mentioned, the driving position and general low slungness of the car might be a problem for me.

Go for it girl, age is only a number! :-). If it's what you want and you can afford it do it, at the end of the day you can always go back to something more comfortable. One life, live it. No regrets , as they say

• Like 1

Not sure I can definitely afford it yet Neil but you are right, what is the worst that can happen? If I test it thoroughly before buying to check that I like it, can cope with it and it will make me happy then it doesn't really matter if I only keep it a year or two. I have a terrible track record for swapping cars after a few months/weeks so I need to make sure I'm not going to do that but all these positive posts have made me really determined to 'go for it' if I get the chance :D

• Like 1

In answer to your original question: One word: Never.

Just buy/lease and enjoy. :teeth:

Alex. :)

I beg to differ Alex. It's when you forget where you parked it on a regular basis and when you are not sure if the heated seat is on or you've had a minor mishap. Then you are too old.

Okay you win, not often I am wrong. :lol: