The Worlds Best Car Cleaner...Apparently

alexwitham

"Every product is chosen with the utmost car.....car worth half a million quid you would not want to damage the paint" Thats got to be a really expensive magic sponge, unlike the the one i used the first time I cleaned my zed and threw it away after 30 seconds and after some scratches to the clearcote.

Disclaimer, not watched the video.

That'll be Paul Dalton on 5th Gear then? The first time (because it's not a Rolls Royce in that picture). Mr Dalton's PR company explained that he wouldn't normally use a sponge but did so to identify with the general public for the sake of simplicity during the shoot... or something along those lines.

Also the Maserati had already been washed several times over that day during the course of the shooting as was, of course, fully prepped beforehand.

Aside from repeating the well publicised excuses from a company paid to protect his public image, you should also remember that not all sponges are equal. ;)

The horror! A sponge! Noooo... where as in reality unless you do a lot of show n' shine meets or have a million pound car those swirls and light marks are noticed by ...absolutely no one walking by, driving by or even walking up to the car to look at it. Yes I use my own and check there's nothing on it each time but its a car... it gets smacked with road debris daily, so wash it good, use a nice polish as a finisher and don't worry as your paint cannot stay new forever even if you use the cleaning stuff.. it will mark somewhere at some point lol I clean my wheels using Autoglym clean wheels to get the detail done, inside the dish, corners etc, take it to the jet wash (with my own sponge and not using the brush!) soap it up, sponge and rinse myself... put a polish on if you feel like having a sore arm .... lol I don't let my car look that bad.....

Edited by AMT

so those of us who refuse to use a sponge, i agree - those swirls etc will come, but they will be properly noticeable in 2 years (just pulling numbers here)

and those of you who use a sponge will see those marks inside of 6 months

just saying :shrug:

• Like 2

My guess is he uses a sponge to charge more money to buff the scratches out.... Microns at a time.

You can just see the conversation " I've just cleaned your car and looks at all the swirls" as he runs off to get his very expensive tub of hand milked dodo spunk wax

:lol:

Edited by DoogyRev
  • Like 1

But yours is grey, so that hides a lot of the imperfections. It never looks dirty, but it never looks shiny clean either. I can promise you that it's not as good as you think it is.

That's okay though, for most people a quick wash is fine. They're the lucky ones, it means they don't spend half their earnings & spare time trying to make their cars perfect! :blush::lol:

• Like 1

I should add that I clean my Jeep with a sponge as it's an off road vehicle and generally I don't give a flying **** :lol:

I clean my 4x4 with anything handy - brillo pad wire brush sometimes even a sponge :scare:

Edited by Keyser
  • Like 1

I should add that I clean my Jeep with a sponge as it's an off road vehicle and generally I don't give a flying **** :lol:

I clean my 4x4 with anything handy - brillo pad wire brush sometimes even a sponge :scare:

since when have you called Bob a sponge :scare:

• Like 1

Why bother with more detail? Because, as you said yourself, it could be more shiny. ;)

Some (most) people are perfectly happy spreading the dirt around their car(s) with a sponge. More power to them, I wish I still was and didn't spend for-*******-ever noticing the tiniest marks everywhere.

The more people who use sponges the shinier mine looks in comparison though, even when mine is still filthy, so have at it if you wish. :lol:

I'm about to highlight my pedantic nature...

Polish is not a finisher and you do not put polish on a car. You use it to polish the car and then wipe it off, if you are leaving it on the car, you're doing it wrong.

Not polish as such, just a quick topper, like Demon shine, lasts about a week if weathers decent. Put it on with a microfiber, but again... even those will drag bits across your car just as much as a sponge, you should be giving a 'pre-clean' before it to get rid of crap and making sure the sponge hasn't anything on it, will do it just fine and if you do shove something cheap/quick like demon shine on it unless you go get a lamp in a dark place and zoom in you'll be hard pressed to see any swirls etc. If it doesn't look like a heap I'm not bothered, it is a car after all and will get marks straight after you detail it lol.

Edited by AMT