Room 101

M13KYF

Hyper-foreignism is saying lasagne like an Italian, because if you didn't, I wouldn't understand what you were talking about :dry: The whole sentence is said with an English accent apart from the word "lasagne". Before laying the LAZAAAAAANIA on the bottom of the pan make sure that the LAZAAAAANIA is evenly spaced before pouring your cheese source over the LAZAAAAAANIA!

Edited by Rock_Steady

loads of McDonalds debris

I must admit It really boils my p$$$ when your sat in a macdonalds car park and rubbish is deposited out the car window when a bin is never more than 10 yards away :rant:

Not too long ago I was contemplating the next big thing - in the pub which is where I normally contemplate such things and may have some bearing on my idea to resolve such issue.

Cartons, bags etc that fast food chains use are all barcoded and scanned in at POS when either the cars registration (if drive through) or debit card details are recorded as part of the transaction. When the said debris is found it is scanned and the offenders are fined the £1000 or whatever it is.

I know there are issues with this plan as I say it was a pub idea but it's a start :lol:

Don't get me started on dog mess, it bugs the hell out of me and makes the vast majority of good dog owners guilty by association. It's not the dogs fault but a bad owner so please remember that.

On the grammar front:

people who can't distinguish between less and fewer

and also, most infuriating for me is when people say 'for free'! Drives me up the wall.

The fewer said about people like that the better in my book!

Have to say though I am not keen on people driving up walls...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hyper-foreignism is saying lasagne like an Italian, because if you didn't, I wouldn't understand what you were talking about :dry: The whole sentence is said with an English accent apart from the word "lasagne". Before laying the LAZAAAAAANIA on the bottom of the pan make sure that the LAZAAAAANIA is evenly spaced before pouring your cheese source over the LAZAAAAAANIA!

Makes me chuckle when footy commentators say foreign players names in a foreign accent :lol:

• Like 1

What the hell is hyper-foreignism??!!

Pronouncing foreign words wrong :S According to wiki.

redcard.gif

Wrongly - adverb

tongue3.gif

Just thought of a good one!

"According to wiki"

Could be grouped with

"According to FaceBook"

"According to Twitter"

"According to Jeremy Kyle"

Etc etc

I would say put Jeremy Kyle in but letting Mary watch it means I can watch my shows in peace :yahoo:

• Like 1

I bags the Rowing boat. :teeth:

They look fantastic planted up, would look great, artistically displayed on my front lawn. The hole saves me building in drainage. :lol:

Are you offering free delivery ? :lol: :lol:

They must have had a good chuckle about it when I phoned up Flintshire County Council. Usually, they take 3 or 4 days to come and clear up but they sent someone with a trailer within an hour :lol:

Pete

• Like 1

I'd been blissfully ignorant of the hyper foreign thing until reading this thread but I may have a problem with it because now I don't know how to pronounce foreign words when speaking English. Incidentally, should English have a capital letter? I've been learning Spanish (similar question!!) for a long time now and they have different rules altogether about capital letters when referring to countries and I have forgotten how to use my native tongue to some degree :blush:

To get back to the original point - should we all start saying "Bonn-jewerrr mon-sewer?" and the like? I've got a language degree and I'd feel really stupid if I anglicised every foreign word. Hopefully, I'll never meet you in real life RockSteady or you might :boxing: me :surrender:

• Like 1

I had one of those young 'down with the kids' trendy lecturers at uni'. He pronounced everything in his normal accent except South American countries, for which he put on a sort of heavy Spanish accent - so instead of Guatemala you got 'Whhhhatemala'. Still bugs me now 20 years later. Idiot.

Edited by sipar69

I'd been blissfully ignorant of the hyper foreign thing until reading this thread but I may have a problem with it because now I don't know how to pronounce foreign words when speaking English. Incidentally, should English have a capital letter? I've been learning Spanish (similar question!!) for a long time now and they have different rules altogether about capital letters when referring to countries and I have forgotten how to use my native tongue to some degree :blush:

To get back to the original point - should we all start saying "Bonn-jewerrr mon-sewer?" and the like? I've got a language degree and I'd feel really stupid if I anglicised every foreign word. Hopefully, I'll never meet you in real life RockSteady or you might :boxing: me :surrender:

I get your point. I just feel it's unnecessary to say spaghetti with an Italian accent or transferring the stress to a different syllable so it sounds like how a non-native might say it. Some words are acceptable such as "garage" i.e. for lack of phonemes, garidge ( as an brit might say it ) or gararsh ( like a French person might say it ) After all it is a French word that is used in English. But I wouldn't say i'm going to "Pari" for the weekend instead of Paris. That is hyper-foreignism and it's just not necessary. So in it goes to Room 101 ( rock_steady pokes it in with a long pointy stick ) get in there you! Of course, if you're learning Spanish and you are going to speak Spanish then the vowel sounds are different and some effort is required in order to pronounce it as a Spanish person would, but to mix and match your pronunciation when a word isn't native to the English language just sounds a bit silly IMO. so there !! :yuck: Edited by Rock_Steady
  • Like 1

I get your point. I just feel it's unnecessary to say spaghetti with an Italian accent or transferring the stress to a different syllable so it sounds like how a non-native might say it. Some words are acceptable such as "garage" i.e. for lack of phonemes, garidge ( as an brit might say it ) or gararsh ( like a French person might say it ) After all it is a French word that is used in English. But I wouldn't say i'm going to "Pari" for the weekend instead of Paris. That is hyper-foreignism and it's just not necessary. So in it goes to Room 101 ( rock_steady pokes it in with a long pointy stick ) get in there you! Of course, if you're learning Spanish and you are going to speak Spanish then the vowel sounds are different and some effort is required in order to pronounce it as a Spanish person would, but to mix and match your pronunciation when a word isn't native to the English language just sounds a bit silly IMO. so there !! :yuck:

My Wife and I met my dad in Mexico for a holiday last year, and each night in the different restaurants he always had to pronounce his order in the restaurant-theme's accent (Italian, French etc). It was so embarrassing! My wife would be kicking me under the table whenever he was doing it as she HATES it.

It is 'garaje' though, not flipping 'garidge'

WRONG. It's definitely garidge up my way.