The Zed Shed Part Deux Build still going

Keyser

badweek_zpsgec6r9zs.jpg

OMG what a fun week or so we have had :wacko::dry::wacko:

Any way after (repeatedly) phoning, emailing and generally harassing all relevant parties I am pleased to announce that we have the go ahead from the water board to "Bridge over" the sewer pipe and continue the garage build :yahoo: :yahoo:

So Monday down the council offices to register the relevant paperwork then book the digger and dumper again and hopefully we can start digging some foundations and get some concrete poured by the end of the week :thumbs:

I still have to chase up the structural engineer for the calcs and spec on the now incredibly complicated foundation system that has to be built to take the garage but hopefully that won't slow us down too much

Fingers crossed then

watch this space ......................................

• Like 6

Just to let you know the boys are back and work has once again begun, Huge holes all over my garden which are slowly being filled with concrete :scare:

The foundation is now as complicated as the support system for a major inter-state highway junction and probably slightly bigger :scare:

I'll get some pics up at the weekend - but at least we are building again :thumbs:

• Like 4

Don't forget this is a good time to get rid of anybody you don't like ;)

Yer and you are due down soon :evil:;)

Please leave suzi and Steve alone :boxing:

Sorry buddy

We were a bit short on reinforcement in the largest cantilever pad foundation so Chis suggested we pushed Suzi in to save time!!! Lol

• Like 3

Don't forget this is a good time to get rid of anybody you don't like ;)

Yer and you are due down soon :evil:;)

Surely you would not bury me.... I will come bearing gifts from the food gods.

1ebd6e4d7103a8dcd84ca2ebc64df36b.jpg

Ps. Hope you are not on a diet ;)

• Like 2

oh my god....if we eat all that we ll never get under the zed......best i just past the tools to you Chris and make the most of the snacks :lol:

You know I don't come empty handed, good thing is we all know nothing will be wasted :thumbs:

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

:tumbleweed: :tumbleweed: :tumbleweed:

^^^^ That's what the garden looks like :scare:

Were are we then, ever started one of those simple things and it turns out that it wasn't that simple?

All I wanted to do was build a garage in my back garden, nothing complicate in that surely?

But it turned out to be one of those simple jobs :scare:

After the waterboard did the survey and agreed to let me build in my own back garden - thank you - The waterboard techs got involved with the structural engineer and they have between them created a set of foundations that although not completely unbelievable, they would be more at home under a multi-storey car park :lol:

We have some huge pads over 1m deep and 1.5m square along with some major ground beams -

S1051157_zpsjn3p16oi.jpg

Hows this for pouring a huge amount of money into the ground

S1051153_zpsagl31asj.jpg

This little baby turned out to be directly above an old soak away so we had to dig down 2m!!!!

S1051156_zpshofpqmtl.jpg

Then we have the traditional foundations that will later join into the ground beams

S1051155_zps8krt3ysf.jpg

we have some blinding on the other side ready for the next layer

S1051152_zpsoidgt9f3.jpg

But we do actually have some blocks in now - would you believe that the second course of blocks is how deep the base has to be :scare:

Yes I will have a 10" thick concrete base plus it will be strengthened with steel mesh!!

S1051154_zpsydz66oje.jpg

It's back to hurry up and wait again at the moment while we wait for the cages to be built hopefully arriving early next week.

More when it happens ........

:tumbleweed: :tumbleweed: :tumbleweed:

^^^^ That's what the garden looks like :scare:

Were are we then, ever started one of those simple things and it turns out that it wasn't that simple?

All I wanted to do was build a garage in my back garden, nothing complicate in that surely?

But it turned out to be one of those simple jobs :scare:

After the waterboard did the survey and agreed to let me build in my own back garden - thank you - The waterboard techs got involved with the structural engineer and they have between them created a set of foundations that although not completely unbelievable, they would be more at home under a multi-storey car park :lol:

We have some huge pads over 1m deep and 1.5m square along with some major ground beams -

S1051157_zpsjn3p16oi.jpg

Hows this for pouring a huge amount of money into the ground

S1051153_zpsagl31asj.jpg

This little baby turned out to be directly above an old soak away so we had to dig down 2m!!!!

S1051156_zpshofpqmtl.jpg

Then we have the traditional foundations that will later join into the ground beams

S1051155_zps8krt3ysf.jpg

we have some blinding on the other side ready for the next layer

S1051152_zpsoidgt9f3.jpg

But we do actually have some blocks in now - would you believe that the second course of blocks is how deep the base has to be :scare:

Yes I will have a 10" thick concrete base plus it will be strengthened with steel mesh!!

S1051154_zpsydz66oje.jpg

It's back to hurry up and wait again at the moment while we wait for the cages to be built hopefully arriving early next week.

More when it happens ........

And there was silly me wondering why you and I have back ache!........... Lol

• Like 1

Bit more progress today :)

Andy, Tim and I nearly broke our backs bringing in the re-bar I think the engineer has designed this garage to withstand earthquakes, either that or he thinks we are building it across the San Andreas fault

to hold it together!!!!!!

So the steel for the ground beams (this is just the first level of reinforcing!

S1051182_zpsqituengt.jpg

S1051181_zpsjk415oem.jpg

S1051180_zpsvsl3jqme.jpg

Check out the 25mm bars :scare:

S1051183_zpsjaskos1u.jpg

Then we have this lot

S1051184_zpsesi3cjxz.jpg

That last pic is the steel for the main garage floor engineered to take 3 tons the requirement for small cars and vans, the idea is this steel will be suspended between the ground beams in the centre of the main garage which just happens to be directly over the sewer (could not have been in a worse place!) :wacko:

Of course this will all then be topped with a 250mm yes 10" concrete floor that will also have re-bar mesh with all stress points having 2 layers of mesh.

On the plus side should we have a nuclear strike, earthquake or tectonic plate movement I will be able to happily continue work in my garage :thumbs:

First 10 cubic meters of concrete (that's just to cover the foundations) being poured tomorrow.

More over engineering with pictures to follow soon :thumbs:

Keyser

Edited by Keyser
  • Like 3

Chris, surely it's only the sewer UNDER the garage that will be nuke proof - unless your reference to more over engineering means the rest of the building will be to the same spec !?!?

I am going to have to make an excuse to see this marvel of modern engineering once you've finished !!!