Advice on Accord Type-R

d95gas

I am sure there are more than a few people on here had Accord Type-R's in their time, but despite my many years, I can stick my hand up and say I have NEVER owned a Honda.

So the wife is looking at getting rid of her MR2 T-Bar (Mk2) after 8yrs of ownership, she feels its time to try something else, the Accord Type-R has taken her fancy, and there is a fair few in her price range.

So the question is, can any of you lads and lasses, offer some advice on what to look for, potential pitfalls, etc.

Also, if any of you have mates who might be getting rid of one, by all means give me a shout.

Many thanks and a Merry Christmas to everyone.

Graeme

I've owned two Honda's, still have three in the family a CRV, civic type-r (ep3) and civic vti (em1) and never had an issue with any.

There are really easy cars to work on and maintain and also vtec always bring a little fun factor to it.

I would say do the normal checks, check for rust.

Might not have been helpful but good luck with your search.

I used to own a 2003 EP3 Honda Civic Type R 30th Anniversary Edition so a different car to the Accord but there are some similarities regarding the engines with VTEC.

One important part to check with the VTEC motors is that it properly engages into VTEC. This happened on the EP3 around 6500rpm I believe it was.

There should be a noticeable increase in engine noise, acceleration and speed that the rpm's increase. If not then the car is not properly engaging VTEC.

This could be because of something as simple as not having enough oil in the engine but obviously if that is the case then that in it's self is not a good thing. It can be caused also by other things such as the car being in "limp" mode or a duff VTEC solenoid.

More info here: http://honda-tech.com/honda-prelude-4/official-%22why-vtec-doesnt-engage%22-thread-830163/

I loved my Honda and found it to be the most reliable car I have ever owned with zero faults or breakdowns in my 3+ years of ownership. Highly recommend Honda VTEC engine equipped cars for definite imo (great engines). :thumbs:

As above, the accord is also a 2.2 as well I think... so I imagine they go well.

If there like other Hondas check under the boot carpet for moisture. Engines are pretty buillet proof but can be prone to using a bit of oil.

Edited by OllyB

Im a big honda fanboy. Love them. I can honestly say its the most reliable car i have ever owned. I tuned the hell out of my type r (fn2) everything from suspension to exhaust and never had to replace anything, not even a worn bush. Brilliant cars. Only thing i will say is that the vtec engine does drink oil. Its meant to but do check the oil levels between 1500-2000 miles as it will need a top up.

Im a big honda fanboy. Love them. I can honestly say its the most reliable car i have ever owned. I tuned the hell out of my type r (fn2) everything from suspension to exhaust and never had to replace anything, not even a worn bush. Brilliant cars. Only thing i will say is that the vtec engine does drink oil. Its meant to but do check the oil levels between 1500-2000 miles as it will need a top up.

Totally agree. They do like to drink oil like it's going out of fashion but still not a problem providing you check the level regularly. ;)

I used to check mine every one to two weeks and never had any issues. :thumbs:

Cannot fault a Type-R. Top car in every way. :thumbs:

Plus 1

owned an ep3 it was without fault for 100000

also own a accord 1.8 daily 140000 on the clock still going strong

One thing with the ep3 was the synchro used to go a bit on some gearboxes but all in all great car I still look at them now and fancy getting another

Edited by nissanman312
  • Like 1

wow wow wow...... Thanks guys, all very postive comments there, looks like she has picked the right sort of motor to go for..... I had to talk her out of a Impreza WRX.... I just dont like them!!!. The Honda I like and can live with, and as it will more than likely me who has to do the maintenance, then all of the above information is very helpful.

So now to find one that she likes (colour)

Once again many thanks everyone for taking the time to give me some feedback on the Honda

Just something to point out, there are a lot of dogs around :( they got cheap and people just used and abused them, so finding a good car is hard work without spending good money. I think the ACR has the older vtec system, not an issue, just more for information. If they made them till around 2005 I would probably have one.

I've had a 2005 ep3 for 2 years, I didn't want to get rid when I got my S2000 so gave it to the Mrs. It's about to click over 100k now and I had the clutch done at 96k, bought it on 72k. It uses a bit of oil but keep an eye on it and topped up and it's no issue. Again if your considering a cheap ep3, it will end up costing you :(

I have now owned my first Honda ever (apart from bikes) for two years, an 07 Civic 2.2 diesel, an its surprisingly nice to drive, and relatively quick, probably get it down B roads quicker and without the drama of the G35.

All i will say is if your used to a car with a bit of low down torque you will find a type R a bit of a pain, as keeping it on the boil just to make good speed would be a real pain, not driven one but been a passenger and found it rather annoying.

Edited by Tricky-Ricky

Great cars and very little goes wrong with them. As has been mentioned 5th gear synchros are weak but only on the early cars the facelift model had a stronger one.

Rust where the floor pan meets the front wheel arch can be a problem.

Main thing to check is that its had regular oil changes with good quality and it doesn't smoke then just your usual used car checks :)

Thanks boys, all very encouraging. The wife is scouring every online Car Sales there is. Only thing putting her off is that most of the Type-R seem to come with nice Recaro's but in green...... which she really dislikes, so the search continues, and I have pointed out that a retrim will soon sort the colour........

I'd definitely recommend going for an integra type r instead.

Years ago I had a prelude 2.2 vtec and went to look at 2 accord type r's.. They felt slow in comparison to the prelude. Dc2 was best car I ever owned. Food for thought. Good luck

Integra is very very nice, but definately out of her price range. We already have 2 Mondeo's as daily drives, then I have my Zed and she has her MR2 for weekends. She is wanting to change the MR2, but has to work within what she has available. Thanks for the recommendation

If I was going down that route again then in order it would be DC2 teg,Accord,B series civic. The Accord has better steering than an EP3 CTR that's for sure. They gave them a mild face lift towards the end of production too. Nice tidy silver face lift is what you want if in budget :)

Thanks boys, all very encouraging. The wife is scouring every online Car Sales there is. Only thing putting her off is that most of the Type-R seem to come with nice Recaro's but in green...... which she really dislikes, so the search continues, and I have pointed out that a retrim will soon sort the colour........

I have the recaros in the zed. Very comfortable seats and have extendable thigh supports also.

They don't look as green as they do in photos