Winter Tyres - whos made the swap

hawker1986

Dan, I'm not sure on this North/South divide you've got going on here.

Are the snowflakes any different? Roads gritted differently? Snow is snow.

If I'm in London and it's 5 degrees and I've got my summer tyres on, head up the motorway and before I know it zero degrees, along comes the snow and I'm fooked. If I've got my winters on, I'm increasing the chances quite some to get home.

I for one don't want to be doing this again with summer tyres on, especially during my 80 mile each way commute.

386A561E-90CE-47E4-9AE7-8B28B7664C02-9869-000006F237AE62BF.jpg

A 45 minute journey took 4hrs. The zed stands no chance of hills in snow/slush. Winter tyres developed for snow will decrease the risk.

• Like 1

You have a super charger as well granville! :scare: :stir:

But yeah, I personally wouldnt bother with winter tires either unless I lived in Alaska...... If theres Ice on the road or snow, im staying off it as some other idiot is bound to slide into me. Although i used to love hooning around in it in my old 182, not in the 350 tho :lol:

I am just hoping the snow and severe bad weather is over by early Feb, so I won't need to use my 350 in the worst of the weather.

My VW Corrado - a front wheel drive couldn't get me out of the village mind in bad weather, so this now has winter tyres on it.

I got stuck so many times, it was really embarrassing. :blush: There is a steep hill up to my house and another to get out of the village. The difference is huge in bad weather with winter tyres. But this is in for a respray in Feb.

I am however going to need some Winter wheels and tyres for next year on the 350, some decisions to be made before then though.

Do I keep to standard Wheel sizes for my Summer Wheels and then the same size for Winter albeit another pair of wheels or do I take the opportunity to buy new 19's Summer Wheels. Will have to take a look around at some of your cars over the next year and see whats what to assist the decision.

You have a super charger as well granville! :scare::stir:

But yeah, I personally wouldnt bother with winter tires either unless I lived in Alaska...... If theres Ice on the road or snow, im staying off it as some other idiot is bound to slide into me. Although i used to love hooning around in it in my old 182, not in the 350 tho :lol:

:lol:

Yeah that's my thinking as well really. Don't really want to trust some of the other idiots on the road so I'll stay off it if the weathers that bad. ;)

Is there really any point?! I just drive according to the conditions? we rarely get more than an inch of snow?

im guessing by We you must mean your local area, as the north and in recent passed years around east anglia have had upto 6 inches over night which lasted for about 4-6 weeks

also in the wet winter tyres have a lot shorter stopping distance than summer tyres

Edited by StevoD

Is there really any point?! I just drive according to the conditions? we rarely get more than an inch of snow?

im guessing by We you must mean your local area, as the north and in recent passed years around east anglia have had upto 6 inches over night which lasted for about 4-6 weeks

im up in the North West pal, its so mild around here.

Edited by maddog1982

im up in the North West pal, its so mild around here.

Really every winter? Must be the only part of the north that doesn't get ice and snow

Also People dont get confused and think winter tyres are just for snow

Edited by StevoD

Horses for courses.

I wonder how many people with the luxury of working close to their home would be so dismissive of Winter tyres if they had no choice but to commute. I work on the edge of the Pennines and wouldn't like to risk it. A good few inches of snow can soon fall around here and last year was the first without snow for some time.

I just hope the people who choose not to change don't get caught out and regret it. Especially if their reasons for not changing are purely financial

My Asym 2s have plenty of grip, and if it's snowy I just won't take the car out, although it's not hard to drive on snow (I used to live in the South of France near the Alps) it's just not worth it in this country. Since my Zed is not a daily it doesn't really affect me much. Even when I had a daily driver, with careful clutch control you can drive on snow with decent tread.

Winter tyres are great for getting up to temp quicker and getting more grip in cold weather (even if there isn't any ice or snow) but the road noise and wear is quite high, and snow tyres are great for grip in snow, but down in SE UK or in London certainly we never get enough snow and it never gets cold enough to warrant it IMO.

However, I would never roll my eyes at people wanting to do the right thing. If I had a storage shed like we did in France, for steelies with winter tyres on, then I'd happily swap them out. Definitely more so if I commuted all the time on treacherous roads.

I just wish people were trained on how to drive in icy/wintery conditions in this country. We managed with RWD cars to go up steep hills in France all the time - but then the infrastructure is set up to cope with harsh winters.

Edited by wmr1980

Lack of feel, increased wear on a day like today, extra cost?

All of little note on a weekend only XK8 driven by an old man :lol: . Also spare wheels and tyres always sold off separately when cars sold. Also summers last longer.

Plus I'll always remember that Goodwood breakfast in April (I do accept this was a one-off):

http://Good2_zps6a452e70.jpg

When its raining heavily - especially on the motorways - you can actually tell which cars have Winter tyres fitted - they dispel considerably more water.

The additional grip really be felt.

Plus the back of the car gets considerably dirtier. :rolleyes:

Storage of a second set of wheels and tyres, finding the time and the vehicle to go get them changed in :)

Im on both sides of the fence - I drive a lot in Austria, Germany and Southern Europe in general where its a requirement to have winter tyres and I can definitely see the value, if everyone has them the roads move a lot better and its obviously a whole lot safer.

However, Im not so sure theres a huge point here as even if you have them fitted 95% of the other people on the road wont have and will drive into you/block your path/get well stuck and youre knackered anyway.

That said the 350Z is easily the worst car Ive ever had the displeasure of using in snow and if you have any plans of using it in more than 2mm of snow then winter tyres are pretty much essential :lol:

• Like 1

Ok. The main reason is I had a very nasty experience in very slippy conditions in an Elise a few years ago (which I somehow got away with) and a near miss in a Caterham on the Goodwood day pictured above. I can't guarantee that winter tyres would have made the difference but I have decided to prioritise safety over cost/proving the size of my gentlemen's accoutrements. With the exception of last year we have had cold/snowy conditions for several recent years plus I live several hundred feet up the top of a steep hill.

During my tenure of the 350Z I used both types and the winters make a big difference (most of my trips kick off at 7 to 7.30 in the morning which makes a difference as well).

Storage of a second set of wheels and tyres, finding the time and the vehicle to go get them changed in :)

Storage is obviously an issue but really changing them you can do yourself at little cost. Trolley jack, Torque wrench, wire brush, breaker bar, appropriate sockets <£100. Took me about an hour to swap each car. Granted I then spent another few hours cleaning up the dirty wheels for storage, and applying wheel sealant to the ones going on but that's just my OCD at work ;)

Ed

Changed over last week to my standard alloys with Pirelli Sottozero 3s. I use my Zed in the winter and I've been caught out before in my old FTO with a rapid dump of snow whilst I've been at work. Now I'm working 110 miles away from home, I'm happy to invest in anything that gives me a better chance of getting home.