Winter Tyres - whos made the swap

hawker1986

I'm about a week away from swapping mine over. Depends on the weather but with temps hanging around 9-10 degrees my MPSS have been perfectly fine. Had a few mornings below 4 degrees but nothing worth worrying about yet.

Swapped on Thursday to Alpin PA4s (it's been about 8 deg on my journey of late). I was due two new rears anyway with a couple of slip lights of late, so thought I'd give them a spin with such opportune timing. Never rubbered up (for winter) before, so interested to see how things get when it gets properly cold. So far they feel a bit funky, being new and all, but certainly no complaints as yet - can't even say they are appreciably louder than before, but I do usually have the tunes on.

Nope, never have done. R888s throughout the winter on the MR2, never had an issue.

Same here. ;)

Personally I don't think it's all that necessary especially if you drive accordingly to the weather conditions. E.g: leave larger braking zones between vehicles etc when needed. :)

Nope, never have done. R888s throughout the winter on the MR2, never had an issue.

I can't belive this for several reasons lol

1 no mention of mpss

2 r888 in winter is sketchy and ekona doesn't do sketchy

3 toyo even say don't use them in winter (low temperatures)

4 I'm guessing it's a wind up as the Mrs never moves in winter

Edited by StevoD
  • Like 1

Toyo don't say that any more, they're good up to -9c :D

They're not sketchy in the winter at all, except on ice where no tyre is any good*. They're rated B-C for wet grip too, which is better than the T1-R and the same as the new T1 Sport. I'm being a tad facetious here, as of course they definitely have their limits, but as long as you drive to the conditions then they're fine.

But yeah, this is about winter tyres not R888s. I can understand why some folks use them, especially in the north, but anywhere south of Birmingham I don't see them as a necessity.

*Unless it has spikes in it, or chains around it.

Edited by Ekona

Same here. ;)

Personally I don't think it's all that necessary especially if you drive accordingly to the weather conditions. E.g: leave larger braking zones between vehicles etc when needed. :)

I know what your saying, not something I would have considered in the past but year before last I couldn't get the car 1mile from CS to our house when it snowed, damn slope to our house! Also it's my Mrs' daily and she has to do home visits and clinics where there's no public transport access so seems sensible to have.

When the average temperature drops below7 degrees Celsius, Winter tyres will then come into their own. :thumbs:

Apparently according to the weather that's happening tomorrow :)

Edited by hawker1986

Put the winter tyres on the scooby last year and didnt see any snow. Hopefully having just put them on for this year I will have the same result. :)

Same happened to me, but still they're wet performance is better than a summer tyre.

Same here. ;)

I know what your saying, not something I would have considered in the past but year before last I couldn't get the car 1mile from CS to our house when it snowed, damn slope to our house! Also it's my Mrs' daily and she has to do home visits and clinics where there's no public transport access so seems sensible to have.

If it snows hawker I won't be driving the Zed no matter what tyres I have on it.

Firstly because I'm in Wales and I can't drive anywhere locally without going up & down hills so the slightest snow fall can cause problems but also because I'm not worried about how I drive in bad weather conditions like snow, ...it's how all the other people drive that would worry me.

I'll be walking 4-5 miles to work if it snows which I'd much rather do than risk someone crashing into me. Just not worth the risk to my Zed. ;)

Edit: Also do you have any idea how much a 19" 275/35 snow/winter tyre would cost!! :scare::lol:

Edited by GMballistic

Same here. ;)

If it snows hawker I won't be driving the Zed no matter what tyres I have on it.

Firstly because I'm in Wales and I can't drive anywhere locally without going up & down hills so the slightest snow fall can cause problems but also because I'm not worried about how I drive in bad weather conditions like snow, ...it's how all the other people drive that would worry me.

I'll be walking 4-5 miles to work if it snows which I'd much rather do than risk someone crashing into me. Just not worth the risk to my Zed. ;)

Edit: Also do you have any idea how much a 19" 275/35 snow/winter tyre would cost!! :scare::lol:

I see exactly what you're saying, wouldn't bother either if she could have a quick walk to work but if she's doing a clinic on an industrial estate in Corby or rushden and it snows it down id much rather she could atleast get off the estate to somewhere safe rather than be stranded there in the cold, no? Cos no bugger will help her?

Also I don't get the cost argument you'll just wear your summers less instead, long term very little cost

Hawker

Edited by hawker1986

Tbh if your wife relies on transport that much, then a RWD is the wrong vehicle to own. Either a cheapy 4x4 or even a FWD hatch will be infinitely better. Winter tyres help in snow, but they're not a catch all saver: You need the right car in the first place.

Winter tyres are a softer compound by design, you'll always wear them quicker. Quicker wear = need to replace more often = extra cost.

Not trying to knock anyone's choice here, I can appreciate that those in the north can definitely benefit from them, they're just not for me.

• Like 1

Tbh if your wife relies on transport that much, then a RWD is the wrong vehicle to own. Either a cheapy 4x4 or even a FWD hatch will be infinitely better. Winter tyres help in snow, but they're not a catch all saver: You need the right car in the first place.

Winter tyres are a softer compound by design, you'll always wear them quicker. Quicker wear = need to replace more often = extra cost.

Not trying to knock anyone's choice here, I can appreciate that those in the north can definitely benefit from them, they're just not for me.

Yeah I'll let you tell her she should swap to something like that ;).

Also I think a Zed with appropriate tyre is likely to perform better than something FWD with summers on ive seen lots of tests that show this is the case. Also she's not that reliant if there were any extended snow fall I'm sure they would rearrange things it's just on that day when you're stuck somewhere. They're also much better in the cold and wet than a summer tyre. I've experienced very little wear on both sets last winter all 8 tyres have remained above 7mm with 5-6k on them. Just my experience.

I'm aware in our climate it's an arguable choice one way or the other. Personally I like to be prepared for the worst.

Ed

Edited by hawker1986