MPG - I know it comes up a lot.

Svothe

Okay kids, I know this is a topic that comes up all the time and yes you can just google it and get a figure but I am awfully bad at these 'MPG' figures and I keep getting caught up in the difference between US and UK Gallons. I am absolutely dying for a 350z and I'm in the process of selling my Audi A3 now to buy one. I am getting around 350-400 miles per tank (£65-75 fill up) is anyone able to tell me what the 350z gets to a similar priced fill up or per tank. I have read on some pages that people are getting 400 miles to a tank for £85ish which is great but on others people getting 200 miles too a similar fill up. I was hoping that someone can clarify with a few genuine miles too a tank figures.

Yes i know mpg is personal to how you drive but with a few figures hopefully we can work out a bit of an average. I'm a giant 350z fanboy but I commute 50 miles a day (around 1500 a month) and I'm terrified of investing 10k in a car only to not be able too afford to drive it. I get the costs will go up but I'm just trying to get everything financially straight before i make the leap and get myself tied down with a new motor.

The missus wants me to get a 330I bmw or a 335d as both get pretty fantastic mpg and are more practical but something about the zed just calls out too me in a way a boring bmw doesn't. So please if anyone could help would be spot on.

Was 28 MPG to the nearest 0.5 for my 64 mile a day commute, then I started with the *project*.. which meant driving slowly (smooth 2750 RPM max), so I got 31 average. Smooth and slow has since got old, as testing has gone well, and as the *project* has progressed (now with unmapped HFC) it's about 25MPG.

When the s/c belt finally goes on... I hope it doesn't go down to 12 MPG on a daily basis :lol:

If you drive carefully (use the torque) and change up early or skip some gears, 50ish on motorways on cruise control you'll be able to hold a steady 27-29mpg. It does require 'concentration' though lol. You can with a full tank (about £85-£100 depending on price) get 350-400 miles out it. I've only ever had about 360ish. .... but I do mean it, you have to drive like a saint, not much in the way of overtaking. Drive it normally... get ready for 23mpg or less always :thumbs::lol: lol

Edited by AMT

At 1500 miles a month you should only consider a 350z as a second car. I mean, what fun would it be driving at 60mph in 6th while concentrating hard to avoid using brakes on the same road day after day and still getting 30mpg, if that? 18000 miles year in a 350z is ~£4k in petrol assuming driving it like a granny to work and giving it some at the weekend, plus servicing 2 times more often than normal (9k service intervals).

P.S. If you get more than 25mpg out of a zed, you might as well drive a fabia vrs. :D

• Like 2

At 1500 miles a month you should only consider a 350z as a second car. I mean, what fun would it be driving at 60mph in 6th while concentrating hard to avoid using brakes on the same road day after day and still getting 30mpg, if that? 18000 miles year in a 350z is ~£4k in petrol assuming driving it like a granny to work and giving it some at the weekend, plus servicing 2 times more often than normal (9k service intervals).

P.S. If you get more than 25mpg out of a zed, you might as well drive a fabia vrs. :D

Haha that bloody Fabia has been brought up again! Im with you on this one, it just wouldnt feel right in the Z. I use mine for work but my round trip is only 14miles per day.

With regards to the mpg, I usually get around about 23mpg, which consists of granny driving when its busy and much more spirited driving on exciting quiet roads. :D

Over the 6k miles I have covered, I have averaged around 22mpg, mix of motorways, A roads and town driving.

Most I've seem from a tank is 29mpg, motorway for most of it set to 70, was a test more than anything.

Worst I've seen was at castle combe the other day with a session at 8.9 mpg :)

I measure my overall mpg by miles I've done from a brimmed tank and how much fuel I put in to refill it to the top, the onboard computer is pretty accurate on my car to be fair.

Oh I do 550 miles a week commuting, I have bought a little 1.9tdi seat Ibiza @*!# box to commute in, so far over 3 months with this journey 5 days a week,it has saved me £800 roughly in fuel over the zed. Not including the extra servicing etc it would cost, plus tyres.

So yeh, commute in a @*!# box, Zed for weekends

Hmmm, it's that time, I'm guessing we're due a 'What tyre should I get' thread next.

If you have to think about fuel costs before buying the car, the car is not for you.

Just FYI I did a 50 mile commute each day in my Zed - With Weekends and events etc costing me £400-£600 a month.

• Like 4

For the amount of miles you will be doing I'd not be looking at a Z unless you have a good bit of spare £££££ each month.

If you actually want to enjoy the car you'd be spending over £400 a month in fuel no problem. I average 200 to 250 miles to a tank and thats costing £90 each fill up.

I've just bought a second car for this reason as I'm doing a similar millage to you each month and I can't justify how much I was spending on fuel.

buy a 6/7K one and a 3/4K Diesel Merc (less boring) .... eliminate the MPG worry all together :D :D

1st day I bought mine, it was running empty - nearest petrol station ..no super!! gah ,,, Stuck £26 in her and drive her home > 58miles

Light came on as I pulled on to my drive!! - I did "test her" a little ...

Edited by Jud1

Something that annoys me on most forums, even my for friends at work, saying you put £x of fuel in is almost entirely pointless.

We don't know how much fuel costs in your area, or what type of fuel you put in. It could be 4 gallons, or 5 at that price for example, roughly speaking.

Also when people look back at the thread in a years time fuel prices will have changed vastly....

Do it by volume of fuel with a point of reference, I.e fill tank, record how much fuel and miles done since last refuel, not "££ put in when I had a quarter of a tank" and when I was down to half a tank I had done 50miles. Useless stats!!

Rant over

• Like 1

I was averaging about 28 mpg when I first got my zed but since putting the ARK and de cats on I'm now about 23-24 mpg. But when I drove to Donnington, 300 odd miles, brimmed the tank before a left and arrived there with still over a quarter tank.

Glad I don't use mine for work. :D

Oh and I'm averaging less because the foots down more due to epic noise.