SCAMMERS WITH A CAPITAL "F"

zebedy

Whats wrong with bl006y people these days. Just put my MGZS 180 16v on gumtree and already nearly fell for a scammer.

He was interested in the car, willing to pay the full amount without seeing it as he worked on a ship, would have sent an

"agent" around to collect the car. all he wanted was my paypal address. - Ok I thought, No problem. Then......Low and behold I get another interested party. But he worked on an oil rig. Same story, so I asked him to do a bank transfer. He said he did not have a bank account (working on an oil rig??) ye right. Insisted on paypal. Once I told him i did not have a paypal account, he kindly sent me instruction as to how to open one. What a nice chap. I said no. He can pay his agent and the agent can pay me in cash on collection. Reaction - FU Time waster. WTF????

And so on. Four more people with similar stories.

What is wrong with people in this day and age. There are only a few of us hard working, honest people left in the world I tell you.

Pissssed oof isnt strong enough about how I feel right now.

Zeb

ps. sorry for the rant. Anyone else been in a similar situation. I was lucky enough to have seen through this, others Im sure would not be so lucky.

doesn't have a bank account, but has a paypal account... :dry: whats the paypal account linked to then, the spare change in his pocket?!? As Grundy's already said I read that as 'pay full amount without seeing it' SCAM 'working on a ship' LIKELY SCAM ''agent' to collect car' DEFINITE SCAM 'paypal only' DEFINITE SCAM.

What are they actually going to do with your paypal address though? given if they did transfer anything you would wait till it has been drawn out into your bank and clear before handing the car over.

No they rely on you letting the goods go when the balance goes up then they withdraw the funds - happened to someone locally over a set of brakes, he transferred the funds in front of him left with the parts, 2 days latter the money has gone and can't be drawn on - he should have been more careful though as the guy down here found his home address - would have loved to see the scammers face when he answered the door :lol:

Edited by Keyser

Within 10 minutes of listing my old car on ebay, I had an email from some Russian guy who wanted to buy the car for his daughter and was going to send his "mover" to collect it. I just ignored it and got a similar email the very next day from the same guy. Got a legit sale in the end though thankfully.

working offshore is only a likely scam in my book, not definite... being willing to pay the asking price without even looking at the car - now that's a scam - and also referring to someone as an 'agent' stinks of scam as well. if you were a legit offshore buyer, its simple - just phone up and explain the situation over the phone, just doing that would give me so much more confidence in a potential buyer - and offer cold hard cash on collection!

working offshore is only a likely scam in my book, not definite... being willing to pay the asking price without even looking at the car - now that's a scam - and also referring to someone as an 'agent' stinks of scam as well. if you were a legit offshore buyer, its simple - just phone up and explain the situation over the phone, just doing that would give me so much more confidence in a potential buyer - and offer cold hard cash on collection!

Yeah, the words "friend" "brother" "buddy" etc would give more of a sense of security. Ie, an endearing term towards the person they're trusting to purchase a car for them :lol:

Yeah, the words "friend" "brother" "buddy" etc would give more of a sense of security. Ie, an endearing term towards the person they're trusting to purchase a car for them :lol:

I agree dude :)

I got scammers from Ebay/Autotrader and not to mention Gumtree all the time I tried to sell a car.just have to google it if in doubts then cash in hand which doesn't allow to much room for mistakes.

They know that most people who are selling a car privately are often willing to do things they wouldn't normally do in order to get a sale.

One tip is if you suspect a scam always reply to emails and texts with a request 'to call' and 'discuss the matter' not everyone can spot a scam from a few words but hopefully most people would be able to tell if someone was a 'plonker puller' from a conversation.

Ask yourself - who really would want to buy your car unseen, based upon an e-mail dialogue?

Cleared funds or local currency are the only two acceptable forms of payment in my book - the seller not the buyer sets the rules!

• Like 1

They know that most people who are selling a car privately are often willing to do things they wouldn't normally do in order to get a sale.

One tip is if you suspect a scam always reply to emails and texts with a request 'to call' and 'discuss the matter' not everyone can spot a scam from a few words but hopefully most people would be able to tell if someone was a 'plonker puller' from a conversation.

Ask yourself - who really would want to buy your car unseen, based upon an e-mail dialogue?

Cleared funds or local currency are the only two acceptable forms of payment in my book - the seller not the buyer sets the rules!

+1 especially the cleared funds or local currency

No cash = no sale

In my book I treat everyone the same ... I trust no one until I know otherwise especially selling my car to a stranger I don't care if I offend, rather lose a sale than lose ££££ to a scammer, last time I sold a car privately I wanted to see cash before we went on a test drive the message of you break it you buy it was made very clear hence the reason I usually trade in at dealers, may not get as much sometimes but don't have to deal with chancers

Edited by tatooandy67

Be very careful with adverts and Gumtree...I responded to an advert for a 300ZX back in 2012 and that was fraught with trouble (members from 2012 might recall my posts about the car being impounded etc). It turned out to be a great Zed until I crashed it and wrote it off in February but the saga still continues as the previous owner and I have recently become an item....so use Gumtree at your peril haha!

S.

• Like 3

What are they actually going to do with your paypal address though? given if they did transfer anything you would wait till it has been drawn out into your bank and clear before handing the car over.

No they rely on you letting the goods go when the balance goes up then they withdraw the funds - happened to someone locally over a set of brakes, he transferred the funds in front of him left with the parts, 2 days latter the money has gone and can't be drawn on - he should have been more careful though as the guy down here found his home address - would have loved to see the scammers face when he answered the door :lol:

Can't understand how you could pay via PayPal and then withdraw the funds 2 days later.

Surely there must be some kind of dispute procedure to go through first, if a legit person wasn't happy with the sale, and they wanted their money back?

Be very careful with adverts and Gumtree...I responded to an advert for a 300ZX back in 2012 and that was fraught with trouble (members from 2012 might recall my posts about the car being impounded etc). It turned out to be a great Zed until I crashed it and wrote it off in February but the saga still continues as the previous owner and I have recently become an item....so use Gumtree at your peril haha!

S.

:lol:

"Selling a car like a boss": Advertises car on free site ~ sells car ~ gets the fit girl who bought it ~ Winning!. B):lol::D

Exactly. I cannot understand either how i can be scammed as paypal offer a guarantee to all its users. Bytheway the capital f was intentional. I cant swear on here. Lol. Anyway had some genuine contacts so theres light. Its just not gumtree ive had it on piston heads and autotrader so theres no escape other than being abit savvy when selling.