GrunDy's Luck...

Grundy

Move out Or Stay at home?   

17 members have voted

1. 1. Move out Or Stay at home?

• Stay at Home
    • Find a place to Rent

http://www.rightmove...y-32201691.html

Even if the £400 is not taking account of anything you currently pay at home, that is unquestionably going to be a whole lot less than paying Circ.£400 elsewhere....JUST IN RENT (and note the small print about fees in the ad), knowing you will have a host of utility bills on top and that's excluding food.

There is also the relationship issue with your mum to consider - you seem pretty laid back about that side of things but I suspect it is her way of introducing to you the facts of life surrounding living costs, but honestly in the SE I doubt very much you will get anywhere near the comforts of your present home elsewhere for £400 a month.

Might then leave you enough to put toward the passion we can see you have for your ZED, but if you move out it sounds like you will need all the financial help you can get from a 'parts out' to help you avoid running up the white flag in a few months time to your mum for help......or to come home.

As others are suggesting, if you do choose to move out sharing with mates or at least those who are doing the same thing (uni etc) is whole lot better than sharing with complete strangers IMO. Maybe colleagues at work might be a way forward in the sharing stakes........if you feel renting nearer work is your best option?

My son came back from Uni last year, started work in a reasonable job

has now lived at home for a year and is moving to a house with 3 of his mates

not far from here end of Sept costing him £600 + a month. Far cheaper to live

at home, but he spent 4 years at Uni so he's used to living on his own,

anyway I have plans for his room...Cinema Room.. :thumbs:

Leave, and don't look back.

At this point in life fella you are either going to have to plough it alone, or forever be stuck. It will be hard, the car may well have to go, but you will be a happier and stronger person for it. I think I said that I could see this happening at some point when it first kicked off, and I take no delight in being right this time (which is very unlike me!).

Living with people who bring you down is never going to work long term, and I'd rather be happy and broke than sad and comfortable.

• Like 3

I moved out of my parents at 19 and went off to live in a house share for Uni and never moved back in - I was pretty broke for many a year but now look back and appreciate the fun times (and learning responsibility of paying my way!) and all the rest that comes with not living at home.

Although I have read somewhere that half of under thirties in the UK still live at home!

Think I heard recently the average age for an adult child ( male) leaving home is now 36 years old ( heard this on the radio so don't know how accurate the source was) Pretty crazy but knowing how much deposit you need these days especially around this area, I can see why!

Difficult one Matt but if you do rent then I think realistically the zed would have to go as it won't be cheap. As others have said living on your own is one of the best things you can do and will do wonders for you in more ways than one. Depends on what your after - independence and free to do what you want or have a zed but have to deal with rules and boundaries so to speak. Good luck dude.

I moved out of my parents at 19 and went off to live in a house share for Uni and never moved back in - I was pretty broke for many a year but now look back and appreciate the fun times (and learning responsibility of paying my way!) and all the rest that comes with not living at home.

Although I have read somewhere that half of under thirties in the UK still live at home!

Think I heard recently the average age for an adult child ( male) leaving home is now 36 years old ( heard this on the radio so don't know how accurate the source was) Pretty crazy but knowing how much deposit you need these days especially around this area, I can see why!

Difficult one Matt but if you do rent then I think realistically the zed would have to go as it won't be cheap. As others have said living on your own is one of the best things you can do and will do wonders for you in more ways than one. Depends on what your after - independence and free to do what you want or have a zed but have to deal with rules and boundaries so to speak. Good luck dude.

i think when i priced up and average 1 bed flat with tax and other utility's in Cambridge i was looking at about £1100-£1300 depending on tyre of property then on top of that car to get to work with running costs and food, So erm yea im still at home.

I've got my fingers crossed for you mate as you are the most refreshingly well rounded under 25 person I've ever met!

I can only guess that nice young lady you took to wales is unavailable and not Richard Branson's daughter which would solve all your dilemmas!!!

• Like 1

I've got my fingers crossed for you mate as you are the most refreshingly well rounded under 25 person I've ever met!

I can only guess that nice young lady you took to wales is unavailable and not Richard Branson's daughter which would solve all your dilemmas!!!

I'm sure you told me I was the most refreshingly well rounded under 25 person you had met..... ;)

• Like 2

Thanks for the advice guys.

Going to side with the moving out. If I don't do it, I'm not going to go anywhere for a long time and I just won't be happy home.

I've just got to come up with some plans this week, speak to people, agencies etc and get clued up.

It may mean parting with the Zed, which will hurt and suck, as cars as you all know, is the main aspect of my life that keeps me happy. And a lot of money and time has gone into that car.

But we will see what happens in the next few days, I'm on a really good wage which means I don't have to sacrifice certain things...but we will see.

• Like 1

I'm 29 and have only just moved out. Should have done it years ago to be honest, I could never go back home now. It's so much better being independant, tho I'm broke all the time :lol:

if your driving a 350z you aint broke all the time, when you in a £600 corsa ill give ya that

Massive sad face mate. Where I live - Epsom - You would be looking at around £700 for a 1 bed. Do some research into moving out and make a calculated decision. If you feel you truly would be happier if you moved out I would vote to make the move. An alternative is stay at home so you can save to fix the Zed then move out :thumbs:

+1 for moving out. I left for Uni in 2001 and never returned bar a few months here and there while I was between places. Never had any money and drove a shite car for years, but it was a great experience. If you're moving somewhere you don't have any mates, get a house share with 'professional' people your age, just make sure you get to meet / interview them as well as the other way around - don't want to end up in a place full of weirdos! Couple of my mates did this and have built long term friends this way and they've stayed in touch after people move on, etc... They hosted some great house parties too - always a good way of meeting new women :)

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-to-rent/property-32201691.html

This place I linked before.

It's 30 second walk from work.

Spoke to Rightmove today, I have a viewing tomorrow.

they said the owner said it's £425 all inclusive (No hidden fee's)

They need a months deposit and £300 for agency/ref fee's.

It is a house share, but there is no one living there at the moment, so I'd get 1st dibs on bedroom.

I currently pay £300/£400 a month on fuel to work....so right there is a saving.

• Like 1

My parents moved out when I was 17, they went to the Channel Isles and I stayed in their 5 bedroom house alone to finish college.

I then went to a flat which was HORRIBLE I mean, literally, the bedroom STANK of P1ss as it had TWO horse stables under it, I had cold showers for 6 months because the boiler broke and the landlord didn't care. I had a tv, a microwave and a half decent washer/dryer and that was pretty much it. I lived on morrisons 75p value meals BUT it was my place. Girls loved it, I knew no-one either and it was great!

I could walk around in my boxers with not a care in the world. I had clean lovely bedding vacuum packed in the wardrobe for a quick change over before a lady friend came round and a fleet of those lovely scented candles too for romantic lighting :lol:

Do it and never look back :D

http://www.rightmove...y-32201691.html

This place I linked before.

It's 30 second walk from work.

Spoke to Rightmove today, I have a viewing tomorrow.

they said the owner said it's £425 all inclusive (No hidden fee's)

They need a months deposit and £300 for agency/ref fee's.

It is a house share, but there is no one living there at the moment, so I'd get 1st dibs on bedroom.

I currently pay £300/£400 a month on fuel to work....so right there is a saving.

that not bad then if you wasnt other end of country id be interested haha

• Like 1

This is the other issue. I'm in a really good job, and wouldn't find the same role for similar money. So for the time being life revolves around the Job.

At the same time I'm looking local because I don't have transport :lol:

If I had transport I might be in a different situation.

I don't know, so much to think about.