track day car

nissanman312

Caterham or Elise - light, easy on consumables, huge trackday support network, hold their value well. There's a reason why the're so popular...

Would go Elise/VX220 myself, tintop makes things slightly easier than the caterham and they're less cramped inside.

S2000 is a decent choice, also consider an E36 M3 or 328i if going coupe, or a Renault Clio/Megane track special if you're not snobby about FWD.

Dont understand why you would buy an S2K as a trackcar when you already have a 350Z, Id take the Zed anyway ........ but for cheap track fun you cant beat MX5's and 172/182 Clios. Ive been at Snetterton this weekend in our mk3 MR2 which is awesome as well, they are all cheap to buy, reliable and cheap on tyres and brakes and stuff, get involved.

• Like 1

And if you want a laugh, I finally managed to get my mate to come out at Snetterton at the weekend for his first trackday - he had an excellent time which was great to see :)

Spoke to him in the pub last night and he said "I reckon I might do this a bit more but I think Ill get a proper trackday car for it though" - fair comment I guess, until you find out there is a Lotus Exige parked on his driveway :lol:

I told him that if he bought an MX5 or something without selling the Exige first I wouldnt ever speak to him again :lol:

drinks petrol as well, and partial to a drop (litre) or two of oil! To be honest I think an S2K would be a great choice, what with a high revving bulletproof VTEC engine, and a decent amount of poke. if I had a bit more money I think I would go for one of them, albeit with brakes and tyres upgrades, but that's par for the course.

S2K was miles more fun on track than my old Zed was when I drove them back to back at Anglesey, but really I think you want something light and/or sacrificial for track stuff. Your BMW works because it's completely sacrificial at the price you paid, and my MR2 works because it's now so light (and soon with the power to help it!). I don't know how light you can get an S2K, but it would need to be close to 1000kg to see the big differences in cornering.

Personally I'd be looking at Elises for that kind of money, they're much better suited and will be both quicker and more challenging. More expensive to fix if you bin it, though!

Hi guys

I've just looked back in on this

Thanks for everyone's input.

I wanted an ep3 as I owned one and know how much fun it was with Honda bullet proof engine

And the other guys want rwd hence the thred

Edited by nissanman312