Hate drivers who use fog lights?

LRF4N

I don't :teeth:

I don't like the positioning of Merc DRLs so low down, but otherwise I think they're a good idea for the most part. It's a shame they've become necessary because people are too stupid to use dipped lights appropriately, but on the other hand they've added a dimension to the design of cars which has been interesting to watch develop.

I once got pulled for having my fog lights on, nice policeman told me only to use them in fog and falling snow. That was back in the early 1970's though. As others have pointed out dipped headlights in poor light, heavy rain, snow, etc are a must, not that you can see any better its so that other road users including pedestrians can see you. Most bikers leave their dipped lights on all the time and in Sweden it's mandatory for all vehicles.

Pete

• Like 1

when I've been dazzled by front fogs I do the same as BBK I put my full beams on. but I don't drive down the middle of the road.

the clue is in the name of the light...FOG...if it isn't foggy, then TURN THE MOTHER FUDGERS OFF!!!!

it gets worse when the nights draw in, as more people think they need them on. it boils my pi$$

• Like 1

I once got pulled for having my fog lights on, nice policeman told me only to use them in fog and falling snow. That was back in the early 1970's though. As others have pointed out dipped headlights in poor light, heavy rain, snow, etc are a must, not that you can see any better its so that other road users including pedestrians can see you. Most bikers leave their dipped lights on all the time and in Sweden it's mandatory for all vehicles.

Pete

I had the same thing Pete in about 1998 ~ tbh I used to think it looked cool having my fog lights on at night whilst driving my Seat Ibiza when I was young & stupid.

Police man in Cardiff pulled me over and told me the error of my ways. Never did it again as I didn't want to attract unwanted attention from the Police plus I enjoy driving & wanted to do things right.

the clue is in the name of the light...FOG...if it isn't foggy, then TURN THE MOTHER FUDGERS OFF!!!!

Exactly. :clap::thumbs:

I put my lights on full beam and then drive towards them down the middle of the road, or if they are behind me then put on my rear fog light and then slow down to make them slow.down.

You're worse than them........Think about what your doing please.....So you blind them (and any other drivers that might be in front or behind them) and drive at them down the middle of the road? :wacko:

Absolute stupidity!

Sorry I should have added that I only do that if there is no one behind on in front of them and for a short period of time until they turns there's off. Not for more than a second or two. Say what you want but it makes them stop and I only do it if it's safe to do so. Not gonna risk my car or anyone else's life.

Otherwise I just flash my lights at them a couple of times.

Edited by The Bounty Bar Kid

I once saw someone driving with their headlights on, on a sunny day, with sunglasses on!! :rant: if you can't see 1.5 ton of metal coming towards you without its lights on you need to have your eyes syringed.

I dare say they had their lights on for your benefit, not because they couldn't see. On a sunny day, if the sun is low in the sky, the sun can be blinding if your driving towards it making it pretty difficult to see oncoming traffic unless they have their headlights on.

I know if i'm driving, and the sun is bright and low in the sky behind me, I put my headlights on so people can see me. And yes....I also wear sun glasses. ;)

well, if I had your zed @ your spec, wearing sunglasses is an obligation.

I once saw someone driving with their headlights on, on a sunny day, with sunglasses on!! :rant: if you can't see 1.5 ton of metal coming towards you without its lights on you need to have your eyes syringed.

I dare say they had their lights on for your benefit, not because they couldn't see. On a sunny day, if the sun is low in the sky, the sun can be blinding if your driving towards it making it pretty difficult to see oncoming traffic unless they have their headlights on.

I know if i'm driving, and the sun is bright and low in the sky behind me, I put my headlights on so people can see me. And yes....I also wear sun glasses. ;)

well, if I had your zed @ your spec, wearing sunglasses is an obligation.

:lol: B)

Pete

Since 2003 (iirc) bikes do not have a headlight switch, only main beam switch, dipped lights come on with the ignition

I would very much like to see a 'wipers on, lights on' law introduced. Dipped only, of course, but it should be brought in.

I very much like the fact that in some cars, when the windscreen wipers are left in auto and they come on with rain sensing, if the car detects that the wipers have gone five times in succession, it realises it must be raining fairly heavy, so it puts the dipped headlights on too.

My range rover does this and its a great road safety feature.

• Like 1

Dipped headlights coming on linked to when the wipers are working continuously is a such an obvious pairing - just surprised so few manufacturers have not done this. But nothing worse than in pouring rain you see cars with no lights on at all :doh:

I've been guilty of forgetting to turn off the fog light - in the 370 it is out of my normal vision due the steering wheel and again I feel this something manufacturers could readily address by more careful placing of warning lights as I'm sure that is why we see so many cars with fog/head/side lights on when not needed. Obviously there are the posers who think it is 'cool' to have the fogs on - scooby owners are notorious for that......er, me being one of them in my younger years (C1996) :blush:

What does concern me is Volvo's and other cars that come with dipped headlights on all the time. We have all got used to a flash or two by drivers letting us turn etc but so often you see a Volvo wallowing about it looks at times though they are flashing their lights and if that co-incides with a turn you are making then you can easily be fooled into thinking they are helping that action. It has taught me over the years to always be wary of what you think is a kind gesture, for fear of getting caught out.....and whose fault is it when the Volvo T-Bones you...... :fool:

What does concern me is Volvo's and other cars that come with dipped headlights on all the time. We have all got used to a flash or two by drivers letting us turn etc but so often you see a Volvo wallowing about it looks at times though they are flashing their lights and if that co-incides with a turn you are making then you can easily be fooled into thinking they are helping that action. It has taught me over the years to always be wary of what you think is a kind gesture, for fear of getting caught out.....and whose fault is it when the Volvo T-Bones you...... :fool:

:wacko: ..........now being a beige volvo owner :lol:

That's the old system- auto lights and auto wipers were separate. I think they meant they are now interlinked so the lights come on in heavier rain. But they would still come on as it gets darker

Blimey, let's hope nothing really serious happens while you fellers are out driving! Thought driving a Zed would keep you all happy not be out worrying and getting wound up about lights!

Rears are a pain at night this is true, fronts only a pain if not adjusted properly (but then that's the same with headlights) but do make the front look good when on.

When you are next out and the car in front has lights on that irritate you, just think "I am a far better driver than them" and Chill

Dipped headlights coming on linked to when the wipers are working continuously is a such an obvious pairing - just surprised so few manufacturers have not done this. But nothing worse than in pouring rain you see cars with no lights on at all :doh:

I've been guilty of forgetting to turn off the fog light - in the 370 it is out of my normal vision due the steering wheel and again I feel this something manufacturers could readily address by more careful placing of warning lights as I'm sure that is why we see so many cars with fog/head/side lights on when not needed. Obviously there are the posers who think it is 'cool' to have the fogs on - scooby owners are notorious for that......er, me being one of them in my younger years (C1996) :blush:

The next logical step should be, the closer you get to a car, the more the airbag should inflate. The further away you get the more it deflates. so in traffic when you get too close to someone, riding their bumper, all you get is the airbag in your face until you back off. An excellent safety feature.