Wales 2015 or 2016

glrnet

2015/16 Major events  

53 members have voted

1. 1. Which of the following options would you prefer?

• Give Wales a rest for 2015
    • Make Wales a two yearly event
    • Keep Wales as an annual event
  2. 2. If Wales does NOT continue as an annual event which would you prefer?

• A Forum organised trip to Le Mans for the 24hr race (4 days min)?
    • An alternative event such as a Scottish Hoon (4 days min)?
    • Concentrate heavily on the established static shows with a greater Forum presence?
    • An alternative such as a trip to Ireland?
    • An alternative such as a trip to the Isle of Man?

The Team have been discussing the meet schedule for next year and beyond and we would like your input please. We are mindful that the Forum arranged meets should be geared for the majority of the membership and not what we as a team think you might want. Wales has been a stonking success since it's inception but there is a feeling that it has become a bit "samey" and "tired". Essentially it is a social weekend with 3 drive outs and because of where it's located it is limited to the number of different drive outs we can organise, there are only a certain number of roads we can drive before we've done them all.

With this in mind we are considering giving Wales a rest next year and then possibly making it every 2 years after that. This will enable us to concentrate more on major shows and other events such as a Scottish Hoon or Le Mans for example.

This is purely a "feeler" thread at this stage and nothing has been decided because we want to know what you guys want.

I've only been to 2 Wales, so isn't tired from my perspective but can see why it might to other members.

Would be OK with it being 2 yearly as long as it is replaced with something equally awesome!

Massive thanks to the team for thinking of us and trying to keep things fresh! :thumbs:

As you said Graham, Wales is the big driving event of the year, but with only a certain number of roads not driven before, becomes difficult to mix it up.

I would say that a replacement for Wales would have to include "the big annual driving event", the Scottish hoon or something in Europe

Edited by Ken

maybe a trip to Europe would be a good option too! you have a choice like Holland, Belgium, france, Germany and so on with some good motor heritage and racing places? easy to get too via boat or tunnel and then a few hours driving for each?

Bear in kind that a European trip will likely be much more than the price of Wales, possibly twice as expensive.

This was the question asked and for an input. a don't think by any stretch of the imagination that anyone would think, going to Europe would be the same cost as going to wales. This is a "feeler" thread.

This year being my first Wales trip I had a great time and I'm gutted to hear this. Two years is a long time. I fully under stand though that others have been several times before now and like you say it's getting a bit samey samey. Even if not a Wales trip I would like to think that something could be arranged yearly. There must be other great areas we could drive to mix it up a bit located centrally to the majority to make it more affordable.

This was the question asked and for an input. a don't think by any stretch of the imagination that anyone would think, going to Europe would be the same cost as going to wales. This is a "feeler" thread.

My point was more that I don't want everyone to say yes to a Euro jaunt or a Hoon, then the Team plough ahead organising that and then when the costs come out no-one wants to do it and we get no event at all. I feel it's important to make things clear from the start, to save any problems down the line, even if that does mean stating the obvious.

• Like 2

The s2000 club seem to have an annual "megameet", which looks to change location each year. Yorkshire last year, Wales this year, Nothern Ireland next. Seems like a good idea to have a yearly event but to change location so as to keep it fresh.

• Like 4

This year being my first Wales trip I had a great time and I'm gutted to hear this. Two years is a long time. I fully under stand though that others have been several times before now and like you say it's getting a bit samey samey. Even if not a Wales trip I would like to think that something could be arranged yearly. There must be other great areas we could drive to mix it up a bit located centrally to the majority to make it more affordable.

Nothing has been decided, it's really up to you guys to let us know what you think before ANY decisions are made.

Anywhere in Europe will cost a £1000.

Crossings.

Petrol.

Accommodation.

Money for stuff.

Making it long enough to make it worthwhile (3 days +).

You sure?

Nurburgring this year for 3 days.

Ferry: £70 return

Hotel: £180

Spending money inc food: £250 (Came back with at least £50 of it)

Fuel: £250

Tickets for track: £40 odd for a few laps

Doesn't add up to a grand to me :)

If you're thinking of being at the location for at least 3 days (not including the two days traveling) then it might add up to a grand but that's more than a weekend really.

What were the cost for the wales trip, if anyone cares to divulge? I've never been.

• Like 1

Well, I have been a member for 19 months owned a Zedd for 18, I have been to the Ace meets (twice) Lakezed (twice) Zedfest and all the west Mids meets and others but this year we went to Wales and I was brilliant as was other big meets but the drives out made it a different thing all together.The same kind of thing in Scotland would be Equally as good I am sure.A drive to the Picos or Pyrenees would be fantastic but more difficult keeping the groups together.

Wales for me or Scotland second Europe 3rd :thumbs:

I voted to make it a bi-annual event with a similar event in Scotland. Of course it would be amazing to get all you guys over here, or travel across a section of Europe with you all, but lets face it, that's not going to happen, at least not anywhere near the same scale as the Wales event or what a Scottish equivalent could be.

I was hoping to make it over for Wales this year, but when I added it all up, including the ferry into either Liverpool or Hollyhead, it was going to cost the best part of a grand for 3 days and I just couldn't justify or afford that at the moment.

If you guys did decide to go somewhere different like here, IOM, Europe I'm sure you would get a few to do it, but 90% of people couldn't, not only because of the added prices of the ferry or tunnel, but also because you would have to be there for all the 3,4,5 days, whereas with Wales or something in the UK, people could take part for some of the days and simply drive home as and when required. I believe this currently happens with Wales?

Yup KyleR you are bang on the money. Wales is the convenient location for people to pop in and out or stay for the 3 days. The issue is we have done all the local roads to death so need something fresh.

Another hoon would be great, the last one I went on was epic and another step up from wales, but it was also a step up in expense, mileage and time and I don't see the numbers in wales going on a hoon.

I just wish we had some more roads in north wales to play on then I'd be happy

• Like 1

You sure?

If you're thinking of being at the location for at least 3 days (not including the two days traveling) then it might add up to a grand but that's more than a weekend really.

What were the cost for the wales trip, if anyone cares to divulge? I've never been.

Yeah, still sure.

Ok, yours add's up to £790

You need a £1000 to be comfortable I reckon.

Also, you got all the way there and back, while doing laps, on just 2 and half tanks of fule ???

:lol:

Doing to WRONG.

I think I'm a little confused with what you guys mean by "hook" because you're saying it'll cost much more than Wales etc, but to me Wales is a hook. :wacko: Anyone care to help a brother out? lol

You sure?

Yeah, still sure.

Ok, yours add's up to £790

You need a £1000 to be comfortable I reckon.

Also, you got all the way there and back, while doing laps, on just 2 and half tanks of fule ???

:lol:

Doing to WRONG.

Is it just me or is £70 ridiculously cheap for a ferry? Considering it cost 4-5 times that for me to get to Liverpool.

I think I'm a little confused with what you guys mean by "hook" because you're saying it'll cost much more than Wales etc, but to me Wales is a hook. :wacko: Anyone care to help a brother out? lol

Didn't they say hoon, ..not hook? :dry:

Is it just me or is £70 ridiculously cheap for a ferry? Considering it cost 4-5 times that for me to get to Liverpool.

Plus, yeah, Ferry, pah!!, sod that, takes hours, just pay the extra £40 and get the train only takes 30 minutes then.

The Hoon was an event we did a few years ago based in Fort Augustus in Scotland. Another great weekend with a massive and spectacular drive out. One of the main points of this thread is to find out what people want as organising these events takes up a lot of time.