Wales 2015 or 2016

glrnet

2015/16 Major events  

53 members have voted

1. 1. Which of the following options would you prefer?

• Give Wales a rest for 2015
    • Make Wales a two yearly event
    • Keep Wales as an annual event
  2. 2. If Wales does NOT continue as an annual event which would you prefer?

• A Forum organised trip to Le Mans for the 24hr race (4 days min)?
    • An alternative event such as a Scottish Hoon (4 days min)?
    • Concentrate heavily on the established static shows with a greater Forum presence?
    • An alternative such as a trip to Ireland?
    • An alternative such as a trip to the Isle of Man?

What about an organized track weekend event of some type ~ with open pit lanes, onsite camping, BBQ, evening music etc?

Castle Combe I suspect would be a great circuit to do this at as I'm sure it's a more affordable circuit to hire out than Silverstone etc. Just a thought. :)

• Like 1

You sure?

Nurburgring this year for 3 days.

Ferry: £70 return

Hotel: £180

Spending money inc food: £250 (Came back with at least £50 of it)

Fuel: £250

Tickets for track: £40 odd for a few laps

Doesn't add up to a grand to me :)

If you're thinking of being at the location for at least 3 days (not including the two days traveling) then it might add up to a grand but that's more than a weekend really.

What were the cost for the wales trip, if anyone cares to divulge? I've never been.

Yeah, still sure.

Ok, yours add's up to £790

You need a £1000 to be comfortable I reckon.

Also, you got all the way there and back, while doing laps, on just 2 and half tanks of fule ???

:lol:

Doing to WRONG.

Is it just me or is £70 ridiculously cheap for a ferry? Considering it cost 4-5 times that for me to get to Liverpool.

Not sure why you'd need another 25% to feel comfortable? I did it comfortably on that and came back with my spending money?

Also not sure what you're doing but almost 3 tanks of fuel over the weekend sounds about right. One tank of fuel there with a bit to spare, the same back and the rest of the fuel doing the rest of the stuff?

And yep, the ferry is about £35 each way.

Not sure why you'd need another 25% to feel comfortable? I did it comfortably on that and came back with my spending money?

Because if I drove all the way to Germany and fancied another lap, or sod it, 2 more laps of the Ring, I want to feel that I could and it would be in budget.

Look, whatever, but if someone asked me how much it would cost for a trip to Germany for 3-4 days, I'd say earmark £1000.

We obviously do it differently.

:)

• Like 1

What about an organized track weekend event of some type ~ with open pit lanes, onsite camping, BBQ, evening music etc?

Castle Combe I suspect would be a great circuit to do this at as I'm sure it's a more affordable circuit to hire out than Silverstone etc. Just a thought. :)

The MX5 club have a track weekend at Blyton. Its a nice open track with nothing really to hit so people that are track novices can get out without worrying too much.

• Like 2

Because if I drove all the way to Germany and fancied another lap, or sod it, 2 more laps of the Ring, I want to feel that I could and it would be in budget.

Look, whatever, but if someone asked me how much it would cost for a trip to Germany for 3-4 days, I'd say earmark £1000.

We obviously do it differently.

:)

Indeed, whatever :lol: I just want people to realise that it's not a straight up £1000 trip.

• Like 1

The MX5 club have a track weekend at Blyton. Its a nice open track with nothing really to hit so people that are track novices can get out without worrying too much.

Sounds good. ;)

Would love to do an open track day instead of the type I've done in the past where you are allocated a specific time on track.

I think I'm a little confused with what you guys mean by "hook" because you're saying it'll cost much more than Wales etc, but to me Wales is a hook. :wacko: Anyone care to help a brother out? lol

Didn't they say hoon, ..not hook? :dry:

I have no idea with OSX feel the need to change my words :rant:

Organising any major event takes a lot of time and effort. I think it is important that forum members support events when they can.

Wales is a great event. I think that if we had it every two years it may die a death. If we went to the IOM instead, how many people would actually support it? So many people agree to doing things until they have to put their hand in their pocket. Sad but true. I wish people would only agree to do events if they genuinely plan on being there :thumbs:

Edited by choptop

IoM is amazing to visit, the roads are spectacular and no limit makes you drive with more awareness. Also some great historic places to visit too.

Alas Steampacket ferries are not cheap :(

Okay I had my first absence from Wales this year after 4 years, and back in the beginning it was twice a year. Did I miss Wales yeah of course, but it's over £500 for the weekend but I see that as money well spent especially seeing good mates and having a bloody good laff. Do I regret not going, not really as said by Graham and others the roads are done to death. There's not much left and the issues with hotel being closer to the drives, car parking and so on aren't available for what we need. With that Chirk fits perfect for accommodation but uses some dreadful roads which are boring to get to the main event.

I'd for sure go back to Wales but I'd be happy to wait every two years.

This leaves room for variety! Wales will never die, it just needs special attention for organisers AND to make it the special weekend it is and by waiting a bit longer makes it all that more exciting to wait for.

Other trips, well, all that were listed I'd be up for. More so Isle of Man, it's been spoken of over the last two years. LeMan is another good idea. With Wales being set aside means the club can concentrate on generating new trips during the year Wales is off. Maybe 2 trips Isle of Man, Scotland or Scotland and LeMan. Either way it creates options and variety otherwise meets such as Wales will become stale.

I say make some changes which brings new exciting drives/locations and if its Europe the weather has a better chance than the welsh hills.

Good shout Graham for popping this thread up for members to voice their ideas. :thumbs:

• Like 1

I can only talk about it from a relatively new owners perspective of 2 years+. I've now done the lakez twice and Wales once. I have thoroughly enjoyed all of the events i've been to but the driving in Wales tops the experience list so far.

From what I've seen, Wales each year gets fully booked in a few days and people are eager to sit on a reserve list on the mere chance of getting to it.

To me that shows that the format can't be that tired as demand out strips supply. With the amount of new owners cropping up on the site it would be a shame for them to miss out on a national gathering to drive on our own exceptional roads.

That is why if we had to lose Wales then I think it should alternate with another national event such as the suggested hoon.

Given that Wales used to be twice a year and that an international drive would (possibly) attract smaller numbers, couldn't that be run separate to wales/other? That way the people who are tired of it would still have something to look forward to as a major meet and could drop out of the Wales meet thereby freeing up a space for someone who is still yet to experience it.

• Like 1

I think to freshen it up next year you should allow non Zeds on the runs ;)

For me it is a social event, unfortunately with 50 cars even split into 4 groups the actual drives are not the best, and must be quite stressfull for the leaders.

The best drives I had in Wales in my Zed were drives with 3/4 other close mates who I knew

Sent from the golf club...

• Like 1

you cant get rid of wales, its an institution and the great numbers each year are testament to that. Plus its such a great location, central enough that almost the whole country can get to it easily. However, I can imagine the location would get a bit samey... why not keep wales every year, but rotate the locations? theres some great driving roads on the Shropshire borders, or further south in the Brecon beacons. Doesn't have to be the same hotel and the same roads in Snowdonia every time.

As for bigger/European trips the cost will put a lot of people off, but then a euro trip wouldn't work with 60 cars anyway, so I don't see the problem. Would love to do a forum trip to Le Mans though, since that's something that could work really well with a convoy of 15-20 cars heading down and watching the race.

oh and a Scottish hoon would definitely be something I would be interested in... even staying relatively close to Glasgow and Edinburgh the roads are epic, could either do a drive out starting and finishing in Glasgow say for 3-4 days, or maybe make base at fort William and go north, south, east and west from there for 4 days. Would only cost two tanks of petrol more than the wales trip would.

Wales will never leave the forum, just a case of adding some spice to events, something different.

Don't forget a lot of time goes into making Wales, especially Graham drinking heaps of fine Whiskey for the Recce.

That time spent organising Wales could give us 1,2 or even 3 new events of smaller size catering for the UK or Europe.

Keeps the forum happy with new events evolving all the time.

i have never been on one of the big event trips (Wales / Lakez) but i will give you a bit of advice from someone who organises a trip abroad with friends every year and who goes on a euro road trip every year.... you will get loads of people saying YES they are interested in doing a Euro trip but when it actually comes down to it the costs will put a lot of people off.

anyway as a rough guide to costs we go every year for a bout a week (me and the Mrs) and do about 2500 miles... thats over £600 in fuel alone.. factor in abou £100 a night for hotels and then add food, crossings and tolls you are looking at the best part of £1800 for a week away driving some great roads.

all the above is based on a week... yes ok you can do a quick cheap weekend to the ring but if you go much further you will need longer! another area worth thinking about is the Ardennes. beautiful part of the world and some great roads.

Wales will never leave the forum, just a case of adding some spice to events, something different.

Don't forget a lot of time goes into making Wales, especially Graham drinking heaps of fine Whiskey for the Recce.

That time spent organising Wales could give us 1,2 or even 3 new events of smaller size catering for the UK or Europe.

Keeps the forum happy with new events evolving all the time.

I know I wasn't driving but I have to say I found the long uninteresting drive to a dual carriageway just to go through a tunnel was a real waste of time imo

I also can't believe the go-karting keeps getting the thumbsdown it would get great fun also IMO

Lastly maybe there should be 5 or even 6 people taking groups out to cut down the amount of work they have to do looking after everyone?

• Like 1

curious on the drive outs do you do what piston heads do on there run?

if the group gets broken up the rule is you wait at the next junction till the car behind arrives then they do the same so you alway no what way they car infront went