Wales 2015 or 2016

glrnet

2015/16 Major events  

53 members have voted

1. 1. Which of the following options would you prefer?

• Give Wales a rest for 2015
    • Make Wales a two yearly event
    • Keep Wales as an annual event
  2. 2. If Wales does NOT continue as an annual event which would you prefer?

• A Forum organised trip to Le Mans for the 24hr race (4 days min)?
    • An alternative event such as a Scottish Hoon (4 days min)?
    • Concentrate heavily on the established static shows with a greater Forum presence?
    • An alternative such as a trip to Ireland?
    • An alternative such as a trip to the Isle of Man?

curious on the drive outs do you do what piston heads do on there run?

if the group gets broken up the rule is you wait at the next junction till the car behind arrives then they do the same so you alway no what way they car infront went

Thats the idea and it mostly works especially with people you know, trouble is sometimes the noobs get carried away and don't want to appear 'slow' so they just shoot off.

To be fair though EVERYONE gets a map and satnav instructions so no excuse to get lost really...

Sent from the golf club...

Edited by spursmaddave
  • Like 1

From my viewpoint I bought the zed to drive it, loved Wales and love any meet that involves finding and driving new roads with different people. Not so keen on the idea of track days but mostly cos I don't like the thought of being uninsured, also not keen on static meets.

I think Wales alternate years with "something else" for the years off such as Scotland, Europe, Ireland etc. Quite like the road trip idea but Lands End to John O'groats could be difficult to manage.

Regarding costs, when you put up plan you ask for £100 non returnable deposit and a cut off date, realistically, if alternatives are not as popular that might be a good thing - as smd said smaller groups are more manageable / fun?

Bottom line, organisers should decide what they want/ are prepared to organise and those that want to can join them, if people don't like the choice they can always get off their backsides and organise something themselves ( we should never forget the massive amount of prep that the dedicated few put in to these events)

• Like 1

From my viewpoint I bought the zed to drive it, loved Wales and love any meet that involves finding and driving new roads with different people. Not so keen on the idea of track days but mostly cos I don't like the thought of being uninsured, also not keen on static meets.

I think Wales alternate years with "something else" for the years off such as Scotland, Europe, Ireland etc. Quite like the road trip idea but Lands End to John O'groats could be difficult to manage.

Regarding costs, when you put up plan you ask for £100 non returnable deposit and a cut off date, realistically, if alternatives are not as popular that might be a good thing - as smd said smaller groups are more manageable / fun?

Bottom line, organisers should decide what they want/ are prepared to organise and those that want to can join them, if people don't like the choice they can always get off their backsides and organise something themselves ( we should never forget the massive amount of prep that the dedicated few put in to these events)

Very very true, a case of if you don't like it.......

I have always like static meets too, not to show off as I am a shy retiring kind of wallflower guy, but just nice to chat and have a laugh :)

If Wales is on next year I will be there again, if not then hopefully something else will be on the cards :thumbs:

After attending Wales 2014 for the first time and having a great time driving and making new friends. I was looking forward to Wales 2015.

If it was moved to another destination such as

ROI or IOM which would mean a ferry journey then for personal reasons I would not be able to attend.

I'm not saying keep North Wales as the UK is a big place full of different hotels, beautiful scenery and great driving roads, but if it means crossing water on a boat then I would vote to keep the status quo. B)

And before the questions start as to why I don't do boats. It's NOT because I was torpedoed during the war :p.

• Like 1

Guys there's loads of nice scenic runs in Wales. Example...start from Pembroke dock and drive the coast rd all the way up to Aberystwyth sea front through cardigan , abereinon etc. google map it. It's stunning. Just my 2ps worth. Used to ride it on bikes. Be easy for the Irish guys too as you've got roslair to Fishguard crossing.

Love Wales but agree new roads are needed - it's a bigger country than you think tho - Brecons would be lovely. One of the reasons Wales is so popular is that people can dip in and out of the weekend as suits and are not tied into doing the whole trip

European trip - could prove cost prohibitive for some and lacks flexibility of Wales but would be awesome if we could get someone with local knowledge to assist

Hoon - hell yeah! - not as flexibile as Wales due to distance but still would be fab.

Perhaps we could try moving 'Wales' around the country - Graham you could use your network of regional event organisers to assist with arrangements/organisation and local knowledge - just a thought

Edited by Mrs Buster

Cam I just make one thing clear from the Team -

We are not suggesting stopping Wales all together.

Resting for one year or going 2 yearly are just options that are being considered.

Wales would return in 2016 regardless.

Cam I just make one thing clear from the Team -

We are not suggesting stopping Wales all together.

Resting for one year or going 2 yearly are just options that are being considered.

Wales would return in 2016 regardless.

So there was a stand-by list this year and quite a few disappointed not to make it.... so the answer is cancel it next year :wacko:

• Like 1

If Wales were to become a biennial event, I would like to see the alternate years filled with another similar event held elsewhere, such as a Scottish Hoon or somewhere mid/southern England. Two years between major events is too long imho.

• Like 3

Did my first Wales this year and it was awesome with great drives and social evenings, having watched some great footage from the Yorkshire leg of the Tour de France, how about the dales as an alternative. Comparable in millage to North Wales and large towns should be able to offer the required accomodation.

• Like 1

With the interest the Wales weekend generates I'm surprised so few have bothered to vote on it's future.

I agree with "Chesterfield" we definately need a major driving event each year, but still say those who are prepared to put the effort into organising it should decide what appeals and it's up to others to join or not as they see fit. I for one have faith our illustrious team will do us proud whatever the venue :teeth:

Haven't really inputted on this as It's a tough one.

As others have said, was my first Wales Exp this year, and it was awesome! (#Will4bestleader ;) )

However, I didn't expect it to cost me £600 :lol: so my bank is recovering at the moment.

With that in mind, I don't think price is an issue for people, if there is lots of notice before hand. I.e. if we do Wales again, I know how much it will cost me now and can save before hand.

Same goes for doing something abroad. As long as people have (Say for example 6months notice) they can save if they really want to go.

I personally think it would be epic to do a different location each year.

For me, if we are going to keep it in England, then stick to Wales. As it's central, As much as I'd like to do the Scottish drives, it's a mission for many to get too.

But if we are going to venture from Wales, go across Sea's.

We've still got LakeZ for a backup if those who don't want to go across sea's but still want to do an annual meet/drive.

• Like 1

FWIW, and assuming that the driving part is something that people actively want to participate in, then in terms of fun roads I would rate Scotland above Wales. The IoM would also be above Wales if there were more roads, as what they have is stunning with no limit.

Something like LM is more of a static experience, as the drive down there and back is actually pretty dull. That said, the experience of the race itself is utterly immense and I WILL be back next year to do it all over again.

• Like 1

from previous forums I've been with the years consisted of

1 Major meet where as many as possible attend i.e wales. 3-4 club shows in the year where people attend where possible and a Christmas dinner meet up. that was always a good time. but i think an in the middle euro trip would be awesome!

Don't forget there is a lot of planning involved in an event for 50 cars, roads checked, timings etc etc. it's all very well saying Scotland would be epic, which it would, but who is going to do all the organising for it?

Who's going to do Wales next year?

Don't forget there is a lot of planning involved in an event for 50 cars, roads checked, timings etc etc. it's all very well saying Scotland would be epic, which it would, but who is going to do all the organising for it?

Who's going to do Wales next year?

No idea, but seems to be the same guys every year

I think the point is that if anyone wants to do Wales next year we need to get some volunteers together to organise it. The great thing about this event is the drive out experince. The format works very well but we just need to get someone to sort it out. A lot of time and effort goes into these events so its a matter of getting a team in place to sort it out.

• Like 1

I love the Wales meet, it's a fantastic occasion and a real blast catching up with everyone and driving on some terrific roads.

As much as it counters my comments above I do wonder whether giving the meet a rest for a year might be an idea. It does allow the forum a bit of a breather from such a big event.

I think this would allow time for new routes, new drives or indeed a new location (Cumbria, Devon etc) to be considered / worked on. There's a lot of blood sweat and tears goes in to setting up and organising something like this.

For my part I would volunteer to help with planning & organising the event with a group of others

• Like 2

I love the Wales meet, it's a fantastic occasion and a real blast catching up with everyone and driving on some terrific roads.

As much as it counters my comments above I do wonder whether giving the meet a rest for a year might be an idea. It does allow the forum a bit of a breather from such a big event.

I think this would allow time for new routes, new drives or indeed a new location (Cumbria, Devon etc) to be considered / worked on. There's a lot of blood sweat and tears goes in to setting up and organising something like this.

For my part I would volunteer to help with planning & organising the event with a group of others

Thanks for the offer, much appreciated :)