Gutted.... Might need to sell or scrap the skyline

LRF4N

That is gutting mate, a lot of time to make it probably the best looking unmolested looking skyline about our way. I do agree with Steven though, you cant damage it anymore than it is. Run it until it blows and try and save the coppers for when it does!

• Like 1

That is gutting mate, a lot of time to make it probably the best looking unmolested looking skyline about our way. I do agree with Steven though, you cant damage it anymore than it is. Run it until it blows and try and save the coppers for when it does!

Gutted for you, but that sounds like the best plan. If it running OK and has been for a couple of years, it can't be that bad can it?

Me too vik

Kris and Sam yea I'm thinking either run it til it goes bang then go for something different or just biting the bullet and getting it repaired. Just waiting on 2 opinions tomorrow then take it from there. Fingers crossed...

• Like 1

Gordon Bennet! lets hope that hasn't caused any direct damage to anything else eh? Some people just have no idea, or do but don't care which makes it even worse. A skyline does not deserve such slip-shod workmanship. I only hope you can get that sorted out and bring the beast back to life.

Yea il get pics up today when I receive them

There's a few other rusty niggles with the car and the mechanic said it could turn out to be a right money pit if I keep it going hence sell or strip and put the cash towards a new car

But iv slept on it now and can't bring myself to strip it or sell it cheap. I bought this car so I could remain in the modded jap scene and the only car that I would consider as it's replacement is my old zed. But iv no idea of the condition of that

I should be able to get the crank replaced but if it costs too much in labour il get a v8 lump instead. If it means putting it into storage until I find the cash required then so be it

Im in this for the long haul

• Like 2

Gary he saw it from the front when removing the pulleys/belts

You cant see the crank without taking the sump off, hes talking about something between the keyway and the crank pulley. If its been running without problems already I wouldnt sweat it. See here:

crankshaft.gif

fitted to an engine you wouldnt see anything other than the nose, everything else is inside the engine. I reckon youll be right, if in doubt I can recommend Julian Smith @ GarageD as hes forgotten more than most Skyline experts know :)

Sorry forgive my lack of technical knowledge iv probably not been too accurate but it was towards the front and as you say it's even running fine so fingers crossed

Think I read this wrong, I thought the crank had a repair inside the engine, couldn't understand how he had seen that,

Edited by GIXXERUK

Sorry forgive my lack of technical knowledge iv probably not been too accurate but it was towards the front and as you say it's even running fine so fingers crossed

Is it just the nose that has had a repair ? To fit the pulley ?

Would still need to be bang on centre otherwise the pulley will wobble like a fat bird on the waltzers

If that's the case and the pulley is running true and the weld is good , what is the issue ?

Edited by GIXXERUK
  • Like 1

Is it just the nose that has had a repair ? To fit the pulley ?

Would still need to be bang on centre otherwise the pulley will wobble like a fat bird on the waltzers

If that's the case and the pulley is running true and the weld is good , what is the issue ?

+1

Not sure exactly what part was repaired but there was play in the pulley. He said the timing would be constantly changing while driving

Im sure you trust this guy but who is he? The bottom pulley does affect cam timing but if the timing is "constantly changing" you would have had valves embedded in your pistons by now, the car would certainly be running rough as a badgers arse anyway.

Another pic!

main-engine-parts.jpg

Notice how only the part of the crank with the belt on it is visible from outside the engine, also notice how the belt links up and drives the cams which in turn cause the valves to open and close, if this isnt working properly the engine will lunch itself in less than a full revolution .........

• Like 1

Im getting another 2 opinions and he's encouraged me to do so. He's speaking to the first himself

If the engine is that bad then if it does go bang I'm in the same situation as I am now so that's an option I'm considering

Iv seen rb25s go for 800-1500 but the thing is a new engine won't have a guaranteed history. If I do go for a new engine il be going for something different not another rb25. I like being different. But I'm hoping I have some time before I decide