Scratching a turbo itch.......

nowhereboy

I love the Z I really do, but again I've found myself trawling through pistonheads and autotrader a lot recently.

It all boils down to never having owned a turbo car, I've always wanted one and just never got round to it. I'm starting to put some cash to one side for the summer, I'm thinking it might be time to scratch the itch and buy something FI, one last hurrah before I settle down and get on the property ladder.

My budget isn't massive, I'd be selling the Z and maybe throwing an extra few grand in, so maybe 9 thousand tops.

I want something properly FAST, with at least 350BHP, preferably 400 +

It needs to be reliable as I'd hope to use it as a daily. I've been looking at evo's, impreza Sti's, R32 GTR's, Modded R33 GTS-T's and GTR's, Silvia S15's...... You get the idea, turbo Jap cars.

I've heard so many mixed opinions about most of the cars I've listed, I know my mates GTR is an amazing machine but it spends half of it's time in the garage getting repaired, that is exactly what I don't want. I really don't need the stress of a car thats breaking all the time.

Heres a few cars that have caught my eye over the last few days...

http://www.pistonheads.com/classifieds/used-cars/mitsubishi/evo-iv--vi/evo-5-stunning-evo-in-dandelion-yellow-spotless-car-in-perfect-condition/1780464

http://www.pistonheads.com/classifieds/used-cars/subaru/impreza-sti/jdm-wrx-sti-twinscroll-only-28k/2060729?isexperiment=true

http://www.pistonheads.com/classifieds/used-cars/nissan/skyline-r33/nissan-skyline-r33-gts-t-series-2-yellow-gtr-wide-body-kit-426bhp-torque-407/2118017

Opinions? I'd not be buying anything until at least may/june so I've got plenty of time to think. I might even decide to keep the Z and modify it, but I don't see this turbo itch going away anytime soon :shrug:

Evo is going to be the quickest.

Impreza will make the nicest noise, and the handling is sublime.

R33 is the one all the kids with backwards baseball caps will call wikid.

I'd have the Impreza, but then I've had one before (blobeye, same as the one you posted) and loved it. Even with 'just' 320bhp, that was plenty quick enough for the road.

Everyone must own a turbo car at some point they are so much fun, 9K will Get you a nice car what about a supra there like 326bhp standard I think and good engines in them and if looked after you prob won't loose money on it. Subaru's are abit Chavy and are renouned for engine rebuilds. If it was my 9K I would be looking at surpas, gtrs and s15's always loved the s15's but just bare in mind at 350-400 bhp it is going to be pushing that little 2.0 quite hard. Good luck with the search mate

I've owned 400+ hp cars a Evo 6 and a r33 gtst neither would be suitable for a daily IMO , the Evo engine failed so couldn't be described as reliable either but it was ballistic on the road

I've heard of standard Evo x engines failing so wouldn't touch one of them

The holy grail, properly fast, 350+ bhp to 400hp but reliable.

I am not saying they are not out there but anything that nets that much hp in the cars your looking at means tuned and tuned to that extent doesnt often result in reliable, especially being used as a daily driver.

Whatever you end up getting, do massive amounts of research to establish what mods will net that hp without issue, especially if your looking at 400+.

Evo fq range are a good shout or how about rs4 something like that?

If I'm honest none of the cars you've spoke about really do anything for me.... EVO and Scooby Just shout chav, r32 epic car but look too dated now, r33 probably the best of the bunch.

Problem also is your talking about power and reliability on an old car and that's difficult.

If it were me, I'd be getting another supra.

Not sure on prices atm, but a nice TT6 speed with BPU mods will give you a very reliable 400hp.

Engine and gearbox are VERY strong. Mine had 400hp for over 150k miles without an issue. Just might have to look at refreshing suspension components depending on the mileage.

Edited by Sam Mcgoo

Would have loved a TT Supra, although talk on the forums is that more and more owners are going for the NAs and 'charging them for better results.

Evo you are looking at 4k interval miles servicing, the chef in my local had one which had a few mods and he had no end of problems with it spent more time in the garage than parked in the pub car park, he swapped it for a peddle bike in the end.

Impreza is the chav-mobile of the UK.

Nissan 300zx TT - looks stunning, but might lack reliability, maybe.

You could maybe go for something like a BMW 335i twin turbo, get that mapped and you are looking at frightening levels of power but on a newer car - just means getting what outwardly looks like a rep mobile.

Just a note, check your insurance quotes on the Skylines, they are top prices especially if you are used to paying 350z prices.

• Like 1

Thanks lads, there's a lot to consider for sure. I work in car insurance so thats not really a problem, I'm not bothered if a car has a "chav" image to be honest, I wouldn't let that put me off.

The supra has popped up a few times, I've done a bit research and it seems thats not a bad option actually, the lads on the supra forum speak very highly of the auto box but I'd much rather a manual. They seem to be going for under 10 grand these days too, hmmm...

http://www.pistonheads.com/classifieds/used-cars/toyota/supra/toyota-supra-twin-turbo-5-speed-stunning-car-400-bhp-stage-1-mods/1711196?isexperiment=true

• Like 1

PS, seen a few links to Boys Toys, would avoid them like the plague (used to be called Paul Browns Cars) - there was a lot of talk on the Supra forums around the problems they were causing customers and it almost got the to the point of legal proceedings. They are a paint shop by trade, so you can only imagine what they 'cover up' when the cars come in.

Wow, didn't realize these were the guys from "Paul browns cars", yea I'll avoid like the plague haha. I'm just browsing at the minute anyway, I'd not consider anything old/turbo without either taking a forum member with me or getting an inspection on the car :D

Edited by nowhereboy

The supra has popped up a few times, I've done a bit research and it seems thats not a bad option actually, the lads on the supra forum speak very highly of the auto box but I'd much rather a manual. They seem to be going for under 10 grand these days too, hmmm...

http://www.pistonhea...experiment=true

I had both auto and manual TT Supras, the difference is night and day, the slushmatic saps so much power, stick with a manual if you go that route!

The only reason i can think some suggest to tune the na being a good option is the price a na can be bought for and plethora of 2nd hand parts to fi it, maybe its cheaper than buying an oem TT??

What are you like nowhereboy?! :lol:

If I was you I'd keep the Zed and just spend £5-7K getting it Supercharged or turbocharged. B) Especially as didn't you just recently spend a fair whack on the Zed? Clutch wasn't it? :dry:

Anyway if you really do have to scratch the turbo itch in something new then my advice is to stay well clear of Subaru's. Or at least modded ones.

I'd also add that with some of these older turbo cars you might be wise to make sure you can afford an engine rebuild on top of the cars purchase price. :surrender: Just from experience that's all.

• Like 2

I have owned two Subaru's bought an original shape ltd edition in 2001 owned it for 3 yrs then bought a brand new black 54 plate pro-drive Sti running 350 hp had that for 4 yrs(before they became chavy :-) ) never missed a beat 100% reliable and loved them, the Sti did drink the fuel!

Then I had a highly modded r33 Gtst running 400hp looked great but too impractical for everyday usage, too low, too hard, clutch was a pig and the wife hated it lol but again very reliable and I've never had a problem with turbos

Looked at getting an evo but there was that many examples of really bad ones I gave up which is why I now have the zed :-)

• Like 1

I had an RS Turbo from new 1989-2001 covered 116k and had it chipped to 195 bhp in 1991. No problems with the turbo and the car is apparently still going strong today. On the other side, Caroline's MR2 blew it's turbo in spectacular style and unable to source a replacement from Turbo Technics we had to bite the bullet and get a replacement from Toyota....cost including labour in 2001, £2,300. That was a local garage owned by a mate of mine, goodness knows what Toyota would have charged.

Pete

What are you like nowhereboy?! :lol:

If I was you I'd keep the Zed and just spend £5-7K getting it Supercharged or turbocharged. B) Especially as didn't you just recently spend a fair whack on the Zed? Clutch wasn't it? :dry:

haha I know man, I'm so indecisive. I think it's because this is the first car I've owned outright, normally I'm tied to a car with finance etc but the Z is all paid up. I've spent loads on the Z in the last few months to be honest, litteraly thousands. Either way, I'm putting cash to one side now, I guess I'll just keep looking and see what happens. Getting the Z supercharged is a possibility, I've been doing a fair bit of research into that recently too.

• Like 1