My 911 (996 Carrera 4) - (Now Sold - pg 7)

marzman

So after a week of ownership, i was feeling pretty fed up with the Porsche! It was an absolute chore to drive and i soon realised why... its because of the tinted windows!

It had limo tints all round and in day light you struggled to see, but at night you couldnt see anything at all. It was awful! I even resorted to driving with my windows down just so i could see in my wing mirrors!

So today i went out and peeled the tints off all round! it took less than 10 minutes and was SERIOUSLY satisfying to do! I've just been out for a spin tonight and it's sooo much nicer to drive.

Here's a few pics...

photo1_zpsf2a96766.jpg

photo2_zps0bdd6df1.jpg

photo3_zps26a557c0.jpg

Edited by marzman

I know what you mean about the tints.

Many moons ago I had limo tints on a car.

One rainy night I went to an industrial estate with no streetlights.

Had to reverse out and couldn't see AT ALL......NADA!

Quickly changed to light smoke.

Ps. Lovely Porsche.

The kit really sets it off.

• Like 1

I bought a Z rather then a Porsche on the basis I can get a newer car and it will prove more reliable but the big one for me is a Z is far more rare and a lot more interesting.

I've had 2 350z's for a total of just under 6 years... i fancied a change. :thumbs:

I bought a Z rather then a Porsche on the basis I can get a newer car and it will prove more reliable but the big one for me is a Z is far more rare and a lot more interesting.

I don't get this.

You bought the worse car (from a driving perspective) because it was less common. I'll never understand that. Ever. Buy a car because you like how it drives, how it looks, how it makes you feel, but don't buy one simply because no-one else does.

I really like that interior, perhaps the rim of the steering wheel in black leather might just break it up a little - but that's being fussy. I've broswed a few porkers on autotrader and loads have a really nasty grey leather, which you'd think sounds classy but just looks rubs IMHI. Cinnamon FTW! :thumbs:

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

How you getting on with this?

Honestly, not great. I dont enjoy driving it, it always feels like such a chore, i find it clunky and cumbersome. Will be getting rid in the near future i think.

Thats a shame dude. At least you can tick it off the bucket list hey. :teeth:

Honestly, not great. I dont enjoy driving it, it always feels like such a chore, i find it clunky and cumbersome. Will be getting rid in the near future i think.

Thats a shame dude. At least you can tick it off the bucket list hey. :teeth:

Right you are. :thumbs:

Took me a year before I got the hang of driving rear engined, but it's worth it when you get it right. That said, I suspect my car feels massively different to yours, and I know that the 4WD cars can feel very heavy on the steering at times.

Been to Center Gravity to get the geo setup? Might be well worth your time.

Sorry to hear that Chris!! It's good to know for the rest of the members that may be looking at something similar!

As long as you don't join the Jag brigade....

What you thinking next?

• 3 months later...

So I have joined Ekona in the Porsche exodus as I have now sold my 911!

I bought it in February this year and from day one i never really 'got on' with it. I had some good times with it but to be honest i'm glad to see the back of her.

It developed a couple of oil leaks whilst i had it, and the exhaust was blowing (which I repaired with a new clamp and some high temp sealant), but just listening for every knock/clunk and wondering what it was going to cost me was taking the fun away from ownership.

All said and done i've not lost any money on it as I sold it for what I paid for it, so i'm happy to say i've ticked the box, but i wont be getting another one. :)

I'm not looking to replace the 911 as i've got an e90 BMW as my main car which is more than adequate. However i am looking to get a RWD track car in the new year, probably an MX5 or an E36 and get back into drifting at Oulton Park and do more track work than I have done in recent years.

A few pics from the for sale ad.

IMG_3558_zps687a9249.jpg

IMG_3561_zps91b49e97.jpg

IMG_3563_zps4461c26a.jpg

IMG_3570_zps605f42d9.jpg

IMG_3574_zpse39db157.jpg

Edit - there's obviously a high demand for 911's at the moment. It's only been for sale for a week, and i've had about 10 phone calls from people all over the country wanting it. First person to come has bought it though.

Every other car i've sold has been up for sale for at least 6 weeks before it went (apart from my Azure Zed which wasnt even for sale. Why did I let that go... :rant: )