22 years NCD stolen from me by Aviva

ATTAK Z

Write to them , and your previous insurer prior to aviva to see if they have the renewal documentation

I have proof of my previous NCD (27 years) from Admiral ... Privilege (my current insurer) were not interested

Then Privilege are at fault. I keep previous NCB letters too, just in case of a situation like this, and I simply wouldn't go anywhere that was playing silly buggers.

Given that insurers only ask about your last 5 years worth of driving history, you'd have thought that any NCB over that period of time would be irrelevant.

Hugh you have been robbed twice mate.

Most companies I've been with over the last 30 years give you FULL NCB of 70% after 7 years.

So my man maths is :--

70% divided by 7 = 10% per annum earned.

Yours is:- 70% divided by 27 = 2.5926% per annum earned, so you have been well and truly robbed son. :p

They should be paying you for the Priv.................. :blush:

(and by your way of thinking........I have 31.5 years NCB . :wacko: )

I work in car insurance all I can say is if you have proof of your 27 years ncb and the date on the letter is less than two years old from when you took your new insurance out, and you have your proof of ncb from aviva. I would ring up your current insurer at the service department and ask to speak to a manager I would then say that you have both documents stating your real ncb and the letter from aviva and that you want your bigger discount applied. Are max ncb is 9 years but that doesent mean you should loose the rest. I would also maybe get them to rin aviva to confirm you have had no accidents in the time you were with aviva and that your full 27 years ncb do still count.

Most insurers recognise maximum NCB at 5 years, the majority will count up to 9 years. After maximum NCB is reached, there is no further discount to apply, whilst you may have driven for 20 odd years claim free, this is not really the same as having 20 years NCB.

I would advise going back to your insurer before Aviva and ask them to confirm your NCB, they will still have this on record and you can use it for a 2 year period with most insurers.

Cheers

Ollie

Sky Insurance

Tel: 01707 642552

Edited by skyinsurance

If the problem is with Privilege they why give them your business ?

This is what you get buying a product based on price rather then quality , if i cant get the service i want i go elsewhere , if everyone did that these companies would have to shape up and start supplying a service that benefits customers rather than what benefits themselves

You must've p*ssed them off Hugh - I went with Privilege this year because I was sick of all the grey areas with Admiral's multi-car ... I had 4 years NCB which they happily accepted against both cars - even though the paperwork from Admiral only had it against one vehicle. As far as Aviva goes you know that you must put everything in writing to get any response from them :thumbs:

right folks I had this issue the two years ago. what you have to ask for is your actual accrued NCD they all have a different maximum and just send that out to you however if you can prove that you gave them 27 years then ask them for your actual accrued NCD which should state 28 years. if they cant do this ask them for proof of your original NCD confirmation that you sent them when accepting their policy your new provider then should take both sets into consideration like mine did being admiral. what I had to do was get my old insurer from 3 years ago to contact current provider to confirm what NCD I actually left with, and got it sorted from there. hope this helps ps my better half worked in insurance and she advised me on this when I was having the same problem.

• Like 1

On our scheme, when you get to a certain number of years such as say 9, that is the maximum discount so even if you had 29 years, it would still be the same premium.

However, what I would suggest, & this is what I do, is keep hold of each renewal notice so that you have proof of your history. I do agree it's nice to have a record but once you are up to the maximum, anything extra doesn't count for much!

• Like 2

I cant recall ever seeing an insurance company who consider more than 9 years maximum NCB (although it has been a few years since I worked in personal lines insurance).

You clearly have the maximum bonus for whichever insurance company you choose to go with and if you save money moving then who cares. If your getting trouble proving your NCB with this new company then you have the 14 day cool of period to cancel and find someone else.

Your not a victom here you always have the choice to stay or move companies.

Last year I was insured by Aviva on a multi car policy (starting with 3 cars and then, after selling the Arosa, only 2 cars) I went into the deal with 27 NCD for both me and my wife. I've just renewed with Privilege (who were £100 cheaper) and Aviva will only confirm I have 6 years NCD

Barstuards

How can they do this ? They've stolen 22 years of careful driving by me and my wife ... there must be a law against it ... How can this be resolved ?

I work for an insurance company. Problem is that every company is private and they are all against eachother. Some companys will give you all the NCB you've built up, and some will only give 5 or 6 years NCB. It's to make you stay with the same company. Ask for Aviva to provide proof that you came to them with xx years NCB and your new company might be able to at least take it up from there so you don't loose out on so much.

Be careful aswell, some companies are sister companys of the one you just left so they might say the same thing. You should really check with your new insurance if they Cap your NCB.

EDIT: As far as I know to date, Privilege do not cap NCB. So what ever you leave them with they'll give you. Still best call them and get it verbally recorded on your policy to cover yourself ;]

Edited by Valandile
  • Like 1

Most insurers recognise maximum NCB at 5 years, the majority will count up to 9 years. After maximum NCB is reached, there is no further discount to apply, whilst you may have driven for 20 odd years claim free, this is not really the same as having 20 years NCB.

I would advise going back to your insurer before Aviva and ask them to confirm your NCB, they will still have this on record and you can use it for a 2 year period with most insurers.

Cheers

Ollie

Sky Insurance

Tel: 01707 642552

I was about to post the same. I worked for Tesco car insurance up until a few weeks ago and would have conversations like this frequently. Sounds like Aviva only give a maximum of 6 years.

In a situation like this with an unhappy customer we would manually have a letter sent out stating the number of ncd years gained from the previous proof of ncd sent in and in additional the years gained with us. I'm sure they can do this as I'd imagine your request isn't an unusual one.

Just make sure you have the NCD is protected or you will go from 28years to 3 !

• Like 1

In a situation like this with an unhappy customer we would manually have a letter sent out stating the number of ncd years gained from the previous proof of ncd sent in and in additional the years gained with us. I'm sure they can do this as I'd imagine your request isn't an unusual one.

This is how we do it as well.