Dan's MR2 mk3 trackpig thread (deposit taken)

Ekona

I actually really like the standard Multipla :blush:

No-one's got it yet, but it's an addition rather than a replacement. It does currently have mixed tyres on it though, which is somewhat interesting in these conditions!

And I thought you had standards!! (the tyres) :)

They are a fantastic drive, very (cliché alert!) go-kart in their handling but also very benign if you get the geo sorted. They're quite compromised as a road car in terms of practically no storage space, although I used to be able to pack for camping weekends without too much strain, but as something cheap and fun there's very little that can get near them.

When the 911 goes next year, I'm getting a Temper HR coupe. Already decided, nothing else comes close to tickling my fancy,

Very cool colour if you ask me.

Orange cars have become my fav over the years.

Saw a lovely S2000 in like a lambo orange the other day. Now that's not really a car that massively floats my boat but that one gave me at least half a semi

When the 911 goes next year, I'm getting a Temper HR coupe. Already decided, nothing else comes close to tickling my fancy,

Tried to like this but ive reached my quota of positive posts :lol:

Temper is sweet, tranquilbass has the nicest ive seen on here and will be even sweeter when he puts the v3 bumper and skirts. He wants a 911 so wait till he does that then swap with cash your way,,, sorted :thumbs:

• Like 1

I will be good in the snow... :surrender: :surrender:

They are surprisingly good in the snow despite what people think. I have had 3 MR2's over the years and my tubby was awesome in the ice/snow. With all that weight (engine) over the driving wheels you get a lot of grip. Just as long as you drive sensibly and not like a spoon.

What an excellent choice :D

After doing another 4 tyres at Donington in the Zed Im seriously considering another track weapon, she wont let me use her one for some reason so I might be joining you before too long. Want me to show you how to drift it?? :lol:

• Like 1

What an excellent choice :D

After doing another 4 tyres at Donington in the Zed Im seriously considering another track weapon, she wont let me use her one for some reason so I might be joining you before too long. Want me to show you how to drift it?? :lol:

Certainly no doubt they drift well, that's for sure! :lol:

It's still got that daft metallic clutch in that Aaron had put on, the one that makes immense amounts of noise when you push the pedal but can take a billionty torques. Jo hates it, I'm on the fence. I may swap it out for a standard one, at £90 it's almost a no brainer.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

So I did some work on the car over the last couple of weekends.

First up was to decat it. Not for the noise (it's a four pot), not for the power (2bhp max?) but for the weight saving. It makes a massive difference losing a few kilos at the business end of the car in terms of handling, so it feel a lot looser at the back end now. Oo-er missus indeed. This was coupled with an overdue oil change, nothing fancy going in there just the regular Mobil cheapo Ford stuff they've got on special in Halfrauds. Interestingly, and other more knowledgeable folks out there may already know this, but it seem like there's only a couple of different types of oil filter thread out there across all cars, which means you just pick one that is the size you want. You can go larger for more capacity, or smaller to save money. I'm currently running one from a Honda Accord, and it fits perfectly! :D

Decat was a bastard to do, as there are three studs on the exhaust manifold that are commonly referred to as The Three Amigos in MR2-speak, and they always seize up and snap. Mine was no different, so we had to remove the whole thing and drill the stud out. We butchered the threads doing so, and just about managed to get a stud back in hanging on a handful of threads right at the bottom. I wasn't happy with this, so I ordered a brand-new performance manifold from the US (it's a Che manifold, if that means anything to anyone) which solves the problem and should give me around 10bhp with the decat and the Cobra exhaust I'm running. Oooooh a whole 150bhp to deal with...! :lol:

Next up was some serious surgery on the seats. The previous owner had fitted a Sparco Sprint V seat, the same as I ran in the MX5, however he hadn't done what I would class as a proper job at all. He'd basically drilled the aluminium floor pan, and bolted through using M6 bolts and washers to space where necessary (!). Seriously not good, and I wanted to sort something out properly before I drove it in proper anger. As such, I borrowed some 3mm steel sheet from a mate, and set about cutting some brackets to suit. One was easy as it now fits in the stock holes, the other was a faff as I had to drill through the floorpan again. This time however I used the sheet to create a sandwich of steel to stiffen everything up, and then layer it to get the correct height. It's worked beautifully, and the seat is now at a much better height and angle than before. I can put some runners on it if I want, and I do have a spare set indoors, but for now I'd rather stay a fraction lower than have the ability to adjust fore and aft.

Best bit? I celebrated my handiwork by booking another trackday at Spa in March :yahoo:

Just need to get her weighed now. Oh, and fit the iPhone mount and cigar lighter socket I've ordered. Guess I'd better fit the front strut brace that's coming tomorrow as well...

• Like 1