Dan's MR2 mk3 trackpig thread (deposit taken)

Ekona

Sounds like fun. As said, we've got one and now the 350z is up and running we are going to sell it. Problem is, it's done 140k miles and although it's in amazing condition and drives like a 14k mile car, it's worth very little....so I might just turn this into a track car and follow in your steps! They aren't all that fast but they are great fun! Here's ours nuta7e3y.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Those wheels suit the blue well, don't they? I think I may have a set of gold ones from my old race car project somewhere, might need to fish them out...

Well worth doing mate, it's amazing the difference a fully stripped interior can make to the car. So much lighter, so much noisier, it's brilliant! :D

So I did some work on the car over the last couple of weekends.

First up was to decat it. Not for the noise (it's a four pot), not for the power (2bhp max?) but for the weight saving. It makes a massive difference losing a few kilos at the business end of the car in terms of handling, so it feel a lot looser at the back end now. Oo-er missus indeed. This was coupled with an overdue oil change, nothing fancy going in there just the regular Mobil cheapo Ford stuff they've got on special in Halfrauds. Interestingly, and other more knowledgeable folks out there may already know this, but it seem like there's only a couple of different types of oil filter thread out there across all cars, which means you just pick one that is the size you want. You can go larger for more capacity, or smaller to save money. I'm currently running one from a Honda Accord, and it fits perfectly! :D

Decat was a bastard to do, as there are three studs on the exhaust manifold that are commonly referred to as The Three Amigos in MR2-speak, and they always seize up and snap. Mine was no different, so we had to remove the whole thing and drill the stud out. We butchered the threads doing so, and just about managed to get a stud back in hanging on a handful of threads right at the bottom. I wasn't happy with this, so I ordered a brand-new performance manifold from the US (it's a Che manifold, if that means anything to anyone) which solves the problem and should give me around 10bhp with the decat and the Cobra exhaust I'm running. Oooooh a whole 150bhp to deal with...! :lol:

Next up was some serious surgery on the seats. The previous owner had fitted a Sparco Sprint V seat, the same as I ran in the MX5, however he hadn't done what I would class as a proper job at all. He'd basically drilled the aluminium floor pan, and bolted through using M6 bolts and washers to space where necessary (!). Seriously not good, and I wanted to sort something out properly before I drove it in proper anger. As such, I borrowed some 3mm steel sheet from a mate, and set about cutting some brackets to suit. One was easy as it now fits in the stock holes, the other was a faff as I had to drill through the floorpan again. This time however I used the sheet to create a sandwich of steel to stiffen everything up, and then layer it to get the correct height. It's worked beautifully, and the seat is now at a much better height and angle than before. I can put some runners on it if I want, and I do have a spare set indoors, but for now I'd rather stay a fraction lower than have the ability to adjust fore and aft.

Best bit? I celebrated my handiwork by booking another trackday at Spa in March :yahoo:

Just need to get her weighed now. Oh, and fit the iPhone mount and cigar lighter socket I've ordered. Guess I'd better fit the front strut brace that's coming tomorrow as well...

You won't need the front strut brace as they don't make any difference at all!!! ;)

:lol:

Heh, that's one car I've got masses of experience with FSBs and flexing: I remember when I had my first one and had to take it off to get some extra bits in the front, ended up with chronic understeer and nearly put myself into the armco as I wasn't expecting it. Not fun.

I took mine out for a blat yesterday, after fitting the FSB and also changing a duff O2 sensor. It's utterly superb, and having spent the previous day driving the 911 I'd forgotten just how much later you can brake in a car that weighs so little. Immense fun, I love it.

Great stuff! People sometimes mock them, but they are cracking fun. We've taken it to France a couple of times (ok we packed like we were going backpacking) and it was great fun blasting round country roads roof down!

• 2 weeks later...

Discussed the fate of her mr2 tonight....I'm allowed to tun it into a track day toy,!

So what do I do first? Book one up and see how it goes, or is there anything you suggest is worth doing before even going near a track?

Discussed the fate of her mr2 tonight....I'm allowed to tun it into a track day toy,!

So what do I do first? Book one up and see how it goes, or is there anything you suggest is worth doing before even going near a track?

Good man! Just make sure the brake fluids not years old and go for it, that way you can go through what needs changed/improved after you've done a track day and not waste money unnecessarily

Good man! Just make sure the brake fluids not years old and go for it, that way you can go through what needs changed/improved after you've done a track day and not waste money unnecessarily

That's what I'm thinking...I did a fluid change last summer so that's all fine ( along with disks and pads )

Brake fluid change is a must, and tbh for £50 I'd chuck a set of Goodridge brake lines on there too.

If you don't have one already then a front strut brace would be a great buy (the cheapy £105 one on eBay is more than good enough, it's a better shape than most too as it clears the brake fluid bottle), but other than that I'd say that a standard mk3 is good to go. Stock brakes will be fine with stock power, there's a load of chassis bracing I'd do too but you can get to that down the line, along with a decent seat and steering wheel.

• Like 1

Brake fluid change is a must, and tbh for £50 I'd chuck a set of Goodridge brake lines on there too.

If you don't have one already then a front strut brace would be a great buy (the cheapy £105 one on eBay is more than good enough, it's a better shape than most too as it clears the brake fluid bottle), but other than that I'd say that a standard mk3 is good to go. Stock brakes will be fine with stock power, there's a load of chassis bracing I'd do too but you can get to that down the line, along with a decent seat and steering wheel.

Nice one thanks. I'll look for some good ridge hoses. I've seen HEL ones on camskill website, but not goodridge. Strut brace is a good idea, I'll do that too.

Well that's not too bad £150! :D

Nice one thanks. I'll look for some good ridge hoses. I've seen HEL ones on camskill website, but not goodridge. Strut brace is a good idea, I'll do that too.

Well that's not too bad £150! :D

I can supply a set of Hose Technik hoses for £70 :)

I can supply a set of Hose Technik hoses for £70 :)

What are they like? Banjo fitting? Are there any pictures I can see? Might be interested to put them in the same delivery as the other bits ;)

The ones they do for the 350Z are not a banjo fitting they are a copy of the OEM hoses http://www.350z-uk.c...rake-lines-149/

I will contact them and get a picture of the MR2 kit for you :)

Edited by Clark Motorsport/Zmanalex

HEL would be fine as well, I think that's what I run on mine actually :blush:

You can have a good nose at mine on Sunday, might give you some inspiration.

Sounds good! Got any mr2 bits I can take too?? :D

Actually, I've got a Markiii intake pipe in the garage I could be tempted to part with. We'll have a chat when you come round and see what you think.

HEL would be fine as well, I think that's what I run on mine actually :blush:

You can have a good nose at mine on Sunday, might give you some inspiration.

Sounds good! Got any mr2 bits I can take too?? :D

Actually, I've got a Markiii intake pipe in the garage I could be tempted to part with. We'll have a chat when you come round and see what you think.

Ok!! :D

That's what I was hoping, would be ideal. Please could you get a lead time too? Thanks

They are all made to order mate but normally dispatched within 24 hours :)

Impressive. Let me know what they say about construction...might add them to my order :)

• 4 weeks later...

Moar pics time! :D

So I decided to give her a first clean today, but I must stress that it was only a wash and a quick coat of DJBV rather than anything more hardcore (which the paint desperately needs), but I think it came up pretty good. Also removed all the stickers that were on it, except for the tow ones which are always useful when tracking abroad.

1.jpg

2.jpg

Interior shots now too, showing Sparco Sprint seat, Sparco 3" harness, OMP Trecento wheel, carbon fibre centre console plate and custom solid brass shift knob:

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

The eagle-eyed may spot that she now has new wheels too. They're simply stock wheels sprayed gold that I've had kicking around for about 4 years now. They were originally designed to go on my aborted race car project, which was a black car so I was aiming for JPS colour scheme before Lotus brought it back for the F1, but they still suit the blue one so I'm copying the classic Scooby look now. All shod in the finest 888 rubber, with nice fat sidewalls to allow me to feel what's going on and react accordingly.

6.jpg

Also been busy in the engine bay too: The header you see here is the third one I've had on the car since I bought it. First was a Che manifold which copies the stock one but removes the precat chambers, and I ran that with a decat pipe which sounded pretty damn horny for a four-pot. However, I managed to pick up an absolute bargain PPE 4-1 header + high flow cat which improves gas flow markedly, and the whole rev range is so much smoother now, so that's currently bolted to the Cobra exhaust and that's what you're looking at in the following pics.

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

And finally, an alternate take on the JDM 'Screaming Eagle' badge that the original owner put on, and that I quite like:

10.jpg