Dan's MR2 mk3 trackpig thread (deposit taken)

Ekona

• 2 months later...

Reeeeaallly want to go to Anglesey, do upload videos! Will go there one day.

Had a few extra jobs to do but getting there thanks.

Doing the toyota day at Blyton next month, want to book a Caldwell park day this year, that place looks fun

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yup, got Anglesey end of thus month, then Bedford in August, then Donny in October! :D

Wow, busy boy.

Anglesey will be on my radar very soon I hope, really fancy that for a plethora of reasons.

I've got two Brands sessions and maybe a Combe in the Autumn.

That'd double the value of the car :(:lol:

Nah, I'll stay 1ZZ and make the most of that. Chucking too much more money at it would make it non-viable really as a cheap track pig, I think. It's actually in the garage as we speak, I think I've an issue with the brake master cylinder seals and don't have time to fix it myself before Anglesey, so I decided to get the garage round the corner to do it whilst I was away. They're also getting the windscreen replaced for me, as the crack was approx 1/2 the length of the thing :blush:

• 2 weeks later...

Awesome car was awesome at a Anglesey :D

Vid to come when I get home, but let's just say that a 360CS was no match for the mighty MR2 track pig B)

Looking forward to it! Was there a lot of traffic on track today?

Quite busy, yeah. Haven't been with Circuit Days for a few years after a bad experience, and whilst they're still not as good as BaT, it was better than expected. Still some numpties, but now I'm in the car worth peanuts I don't mind so much if they drive into me :)

Video, with captions! :D

So, so frustrating. Why he was moving over for other stuff but not me, I've no idea.

Anyway, I was looking back over older vids today, and I found one of me on the same track layout but in my old VXR220. 260bhp, 280lb/ft, 800kgs, A048s. Unsurprisingly I was about 4-5 secs a lap slower than that on Saturday, and yet my cornering speeds were actually higher in the MR2! Very surprising, and it's nice to know that my driving clearly has come on in the last few years. Still nowhere close to where I'd like to be, but I do enjoy driving slow cars to their limits. :)

Sadly the RX8 that my mate took decided to have a seized caliper early doors, so we didn't get a proper run out in that. One of the pitfalls of running track sheds on a budget, I guess.

I was a passenger in a track prepared Clio last week at Oulton and exactly the same thing happened, despite being much quicker in the corners; maybe people are scared of being overtaken by cute looking cars?! :ninja:

Ah Ferrari drivers eh! rarely do I see supercars on track going quickly round corners... they're fast on the straights yes, but most are driven by fools who have no confidence to drive quickly through corners. So far I remember the beemer catching up such cars as a Aston Martin DBS, McLaren MP4-12C, and a Mercedes SLS AMG, all because they're pootling through the corners.

personally I've got no problem letting through the smaller cutesy stuff... caterhams and clio race cars, they're like flies, get very annoying very quickly! far better to let them through quickly before the try a lunge up the inside :dry:

Hope you had a word after....

I promise i wont do the same in Bedford.... :)

I didn't, I couldn't be arsed with the hassle if I'm honest. He was rude, but he wasn't dangerous. Tbh maybe I should've backed off and let him go, probably 50/50 in retrospect. I think the driving was being shared too, so hard to know which guy it was.

I suspect I won't see which way you went at Bedford if you bring the new toy ;)

I REALLY want to try Anglesey it's just the distance putting me off ; do you stay over ?

To be fair the Ferrari was being a bit of a pain but I've had that in the mr2, they just won't move over on the straight. Last time it happened to me I just did a slow pass through the pits to get some space for myself

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...

Changed the front two calipers this evening to try and solve my brake feel issue. It's a 20 min job, until you finish packing up and wonder why you've got a spare washer for the brake line floating in the tray you've been catching fluid in... :blush: Wheel off again! :lol:

Not had a chance to test it yet, but am going to be changing the rears at the weekend too. No harm in that, it's a 90k miles car after all and probably due a refresh.