Dan's MR2 mk3 trackpig thread (deposit taken)

Ekona

Ah you know, you pop out for milk and eggs, come back with a roast chicken, box of wine and a turbo :lol:

Mate is selling his custom kit that I know is superb quality, and he offered me first dibs on it at a price I couldn't really turn down. When done, should put me at around 300bhp/ton, which is a bit nippy.

Yup, spot on matey. The engines are pretty good for up to around 320bhp, but the gearboxes tend to go pop with the torque at that kind of level. I'll be keeping the power down to around 250, which will be safe enough.

Nah, they only ever did the 140bhp 1ZZ and not the 190bhp 2ZZ, I guess due to cost reasons. The 2ZZ swap is very common now, quite cheap to do and ultra reliable, but getting hold of decent 2ZZ engines is proving a harder task now. The prices of them have gone up too, as now you've got moneybags Lotus owners wanting them as well.

No, you can't do a straight swap with the s/c on the 2ZZ as it massively fouls the firewall. You need to do a fair bit of cutting to get it to fit, and in the end the Rotrex route is an easier one to take.

Depends on condition, but I'd say around £2K would get you an average car in reasonable nick. You might pick up the bargain for a grand, or you might want to spend £4K and get a minter.

Suddenly remembered today that I should probably let my insurers know about the turbo, and then discovered that they won't cover me :( At this point the sensible thing to do is to forget the whole thing.

So I promptly cancelled that policy and took out another one! :lol: Lost about £200 due to cancelling a policy mid-term, but it's not too bad really. My own silly fault, didn't even think it would be an issue at all.

Am picking the car up tomorrow from one garage with hopefully functioning brakes, then dropping it off for the conversion on Saturday at another which should be done Monday, so I might have half a chance of having the car ready for Bedford next weekend. Hopefully...

turbo conversion in a weekend? that's shifting some! hope you get it sorted in time for Bedford, i'm interested to see how fast it is! you've still got a passenger seat in it right?

our BM is prepped and ready! and by that I mean, the tyres have been inflated to the correct pressure, and it has some petrol in it - lets roll!

turbo conversion in a weekend? that's shifting some! hope you get it sorted in time for Bedford, i'm interested to see how fast it is! you've still got a passenger seat in it right?

our BM is prepped and ready! and by that I mean, the tyres have been inflated to the correct pressure, and it has some petrol in it - lets roll!

They're actually doing the conversion in a single day, which for a proper garage isn't too hard. We used to do them in a long day in a garage as a bunch of amateurs! :lol: Pax ride more than welcome matey, still got the stock seat in.

Stu, I don't think it's that they wouldn't cover me as such, more that they wouldn't cover such a drastic power increase. I can see their point and clearly it's just a rule of the underwriter, but I'm just glad that someone would take a punt. Also fair play to Nicola at A-Plan, she spent a good while this afternoon sorting it all out for me, back and forth with phone calls.

They're actually doing the conversion in a single day, which for a proper garage isn't too hard. We used to do them in a long day in a garage as a bunch of amateurs! :lol: Pax ride more than welcome matey, still got the stock seat in.

Stu, I don't think it's that they wouldn't cover me as such, more that they wouldn't cover such a drastic power increase. I can see their point and clearly it's just a rule of the underwriter, but I'm just glad that someone would take a punt. Also fair play to Nicola at A-Plan, she spent a good while this afternoon sorting it all out for me, back and forth with phone calls.

Why aren't you fitting it yourself?! Lazy begger :D