Dan's MR2 mk3 trackpig thread (deposit taken)

Ekona

DC5 would be amazing, S2K my preferred choice, but budget dictates the Civic :lol:

Anyway, MR2 is back. Erm, it's a bit poky in lower gears, to put it mildly...!

Just been reading some of this Dan ~ hope we get to see a video of this thing on track at some point. ;)

Anyway reason I posted ~ used to own a 2003 EP3 Civic Type R and have to say it was the most reliable car I've ever owned. Handled well thanks in part to it's independent rear suspension & VTEC is a superb bit of engineering. I highly recommend you try one especially as the prices of the EP3's nowadays is just ridiculously cheap imo for what you get.

Can show up a lot of newer similar type FWD cars.

If you do get one I'd say a must do mod just to make it that little bit better is a Gruppe M induction kit. The sound alone when it crosses over in to VTEC is worth every penny. I had the genuine Gruppe M but Tegiwa also make a copy version which if you're not bothered about it being a copy does pretty much the same thing for half the cost. :thumbs:

Agree with that! Had a Gruppe M on my M3 ; it made an awesome sound and everyone appreciates a well made piece of kit.

I can't believe how cheap CTRs are!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Definitely agree, ...it is a great value car imo.

If I had the space and could stop spending all my money on the Zed I'd definitely like one as a track day car. B);)

So how's the mr2 running?

Driven it much?

Not much at all, sadly. I did go out for a blat on Sunday though, as I need to put some miles on it before Donny, and it was a lovely day :)

It's very deceiving. You can pootle round and it's just as it was, i.e. noisy and rattley. And then you give a little squirt, and the horizon starts rushing towards you. Keep your foot in and the boost increases, so it acts very much like a cammy big engine rather than a small turbo one. There's zero let off in thrust as you approach 7k RPM, which makes it a real rush with every push of the throttle.

I did get a litte caught out at some points though, as while I'm used to driving big power stuff im also used to having big tyres on the rear, so I may have spun them up a couple of times :blush: Even the 888s can be convinced to slide now :D

Dan I'm having a cage built in mine at the moment so my harness bar is going spare. It relace the very weak bar in the back (bolt in) was asking £75 (£150 to be made) but £50 if you want it?

d2f0bcc9f5fc3d859e887505aa7eeadb.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Meeerrrk

Woooo my lexan rear screen for the hardtop arrived today! :D

Just need to find some time to wrap the roof in black vinyl, and then I'll get the screen stuck in place. It's got to shed a good few kgs from up top, can only be a good thing.

Tomorrow :D Just got to the hotel now, after a painful trip up.

My idle control motor is iffy, so if you press the clutch when the revs are any higher than 2k RPM it'll stall. Means you have to engine brake until below that, then press the clutch down. Now, you try remembering that in stop start traffic: Bearing in mind when a car is about to stall you hit the clutch, I have to try and remember to do the opposite! :lol:

Need to get that sorted ASAP, or my starter motor will hate me.

Bloody hell, this car is a bit of a handful now, especially in the wet on new 888s on the rear :D

So much better on track now though, it really did need the extra oomph. I've spent about 50% of the day sideways though, both in the MR2 & the Impreza + Elise + RX8 that I blagged drives in as well :teeth:

Vids to come next week when I get a chance. F*cking brilliant fun though, loved it.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Probably nothing in it, I think I'm done for the year with track stuff though due to the house move :( Vids will be up soon, but I'm having some issues pulling them off the card as my reader seems to have died.

Still got brake issues though, as in I have none! I checked a few things out on Sunday but I desperately need rear pads, which have turned up today so I'll get those fitted first before further diagnosing. MOT is now due as well, so it looks like she'll be off the road until I can get these brakes working properly.

ah too bad... but winters the best time to make amends ready for next year!

We've still got 3 trackdays to do this year (two already booked) to meet my ambitious target of 12 trackdays in 12 months lol, its been a busy year for our BMW(s)!

looking forward to seeing videos, get them up before the weekend so we know what to expect!

I'll try!

I want to get a lot done over winter: I don't think I can live with the current Ogura racing clutch any more, so that's going to come out and a more sensible one put in with a new flywheel. I'll also get rid of the 6spd gearbox and put a lighter 5pd one in, maybe a JDM one if I can find it for the shorter ratios.

Then I also need to wire the shift light I've bought in as well at some point...