Dan's MR2 mk3 trackpig thread (deposit taken)

Ekona

Very, very wet! Only got half a day in the end due to so much standing water,

But loved the track - will definitely head back next year for another go, hopefully in the dry if you fancy joining in I'm sure we could organise something 950db0f624ab41ce8b41c347b26e9641.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Finally the GoPro is playing ball, so managed to get some videos off.

This MX5 had been behind me for a bit, and I wasn't entirely sure if we were at the same pace or if he was quicker, so I let him past anyway. Not for long though... (caution for language at the end!)

And this was one of the better laps I managed all weekend, quite clear and not too slippery.

Apparently I like that hand gesture :blush:

Shame I didn't catch the one perfect lap, and I mean it was as close to a qualifying lap as you could ever wish for: Every apex, no sliding, perfect shift. It reminded me exactly why I love track driving so much.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

As this is a zed forum here's onboard mine following a 370z around Goodwood (my first session ever around goodwood and we join on my first flying lap)

Nice vid matey, you seem to suffer a lot less from cabin noise than I do as well. Get that 2ZZ in and there's no way that 370 would be pulling away from you :)

Any others booked in the coming month Dan?

Nothing at all now, car is off the road and with no MOT. I still haven't traced my lack of brakes, so I'm replacing the BMC and booster this weekend to see if that makes a difference.

As this is a zed forum here's onboard mine following a 370z around Goodwood (my first session ever around goodwood and we join on my first flying lap)

Nice vid matey, you seem to suffer a lot less from cabin noise than I do as well. Get that 2ZZ in and there's no way that 370 would be pulling away from you :)

Any others booked in the coming month Dan?

Nothing at all now, car is off the road and with no MOT. I still haven't traced my lack of brakes, so I'm replacing the BMC and booster this weekend to see if that makes a difference.

Likewise (although I have brakes)! Got a suitable tow vehicle now so can trailer it around next year :) hoping to go to Anglesey next spring / summer

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...

MOT time today, first since the turbo has gone on... And the bugger wouldn't start first thing! :lol:

I'm so glad I bought that power pack from Halfrauds a few years back, just saved my bacon. Took her for a run around the block, all seemed okay and she started again when I stopped her at the test centre. I very much doubt she'll pass on emissions, and even less so on the brakes (which still aren't 100%), but I await with interest what they say about the rest of the car.

No news yet... Been over an hour, hopefully they're just trying really hard to get it through! :lol:

Nothing booked up so far, as I wanted to make sure there were no issues with the MOT and I still want to work some more on the brakes before I book anything up. Means I'll miss my annual trip to Spa in March, which is ironically exactly why I felt I needed a turbo in the first place.

Hopefully they're trying to pass it.... otherwise it means they've had to run out and get more paper to print all your advisories on! ;)

Fair enough about the bookings. Hope you get the brakes sorted - getting a brake setup really nailed seems 50:50 black-magic and pure-luck in my experience... I can understand wanting to get it right though, takes a lot of confidence to brake late and weak or squidgy brakes don't help! A turbo'd MR2 must go like a proper pocket-rocket - what sort of BHP/Tonne does it kick out?

And at the risk of taking your thread a bit O/T - do you use different Track Day tyres in Winter than Summer? Assuming dry for both, but track temps are obviously hugely different... or do you just have a dry tyre that you use regardless of track temp?

She failed :( Emissions (not remotely surprising, but I can get round that elsewhere) and parking brake failure (can't remember if it was nearside or offside though). Passed on the bloody regular brakes though! They're going to sort the parking brake out in the new year, as I can no longer be arsed to do it myself.

She's putting out about 200bhp for insurance purposes, I genuinely don't know the exact bhp as I've never had it on a dyno and I don't really want to be chasing figures anyway. Stock MR2 is 1050kg, I'm running no soft top or interior & one seat, definitely lost weight from the rear end despite the turbo setup, so I reckon she weighs around 850kg minus the hardtop. That's about 235bhp/ton, so for anyone else as a comparison a stock DE 350Z is 185bhp/ton. You'd need around 355bhp in a Zed to equal what the MR2 is running at.

I run 888s on the car regardless of winter, summer, sun or snow, road or track. B)

I run 888s on the car regardless of winter, summer, sun or snow, road or track. B)

888s???

You've rocked my world view Dan. Everyone knows it MPSS or you're in a ditch! So much so, I took this photo at Kennedy Space centre of the rubber they use on space ships just so everyone could see what is endorsed by NASA!!!

image_zpscd3815d4.jpg